Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

02-12-21, 12:23PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 48359
  • Total Topics: 942
  • Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 58
Total: 62

Author Topic: Gorillas  (Read 2315 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Gorillas
« on: 04-11-21, 11:21AM »
Tesco is partnering with Gorillas to pilot ultra-fast delivery for customers

From today (28 October), Tesco products will be available to purchase on the Gorillas app and immediately delivered to customers in a selected area.

The partnership will see Gorillas set up micro-fulfilment sites at five large Tesco stores, where they will pick, pack and deliver to customers in the time it takes to pre-heat the oven. The first micro-fulfilment site will use excess warehouse space within the Thornton Heath Tesco store and stock a selection of around 2,000 products.

I sense some conflict with warehouse person(s) and pickers etc.  What happens when Gorillas staff do not turn up, off sick etc.  Where do they get their stock from ?

8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

hesketh

• Know All
Re: Gorillas
« Reply #1 on: 04-11-21, 01:23PM »
Excess warehouse space! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 04-11-21, 08:31PM »
Ok ok hold on! 10 min? is it a time that should take from the moment goods are ready for pick up or is it from the time customer pay for it.
I have 1.6 miles from my home to tesco. I need 6 minutes  at night from closing my front door to the moment i park the car at tesco, and thats going way to fast if i want to skip all the traffic lights. So how the new delivery system should work??

Tesla

• Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 04-11-21, 09:50PM »
Tesco monkeying about again.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #4 on: 09-11-21, 10:34PM »
What’s in it for Tesco as it launches 15-minute delivery with Gorillas?

Gorillas will reap obvious benefits from offering 15-minute Tesco deliveries from dark stores. For Tesco, the business case is slightly more complex
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 10-11-21, 08:23AM »
It is stupid. If someone could make a round to and back from store in 15-25 min then why to pay for it (delivery)?
Why do I have an impression that entire e-commerce business is pulling wages down but costs are rising?
Where is the logic, one working hour for picker and delivery man is what? £15 in total costs.

For me, Tesco is trying to see if they could swap on-site drivers to third party delivery company.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/25/some-uk-deliveroo-riders-earning-just-2-an-hour-survey-finds

Quick question how many drops you Tesco van drivers can achieve per hour  :question:
« Last Edit: 10-11-21, 10:51AM by Nomad »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #6 on: 10-11-21, 10:54AM »
"Tesco is trying to see if they could swap on-site drivers to third party delivery company." that thought had crossed my mind.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Villager No.6

« Reply #7 on: 10-11-21, 06:33PM »
Quick question how many drops you Tesco van drivers can achieve per hour  :question:

Depends on routing but usually max 5/hr though I have had 6 once or twice where all 6 were either in the same road or in very close proximity.
Routing is the key, 5 drops in an close area with easy parking and only a few trays/customer and you could be waiting 20min+ to start the next hour’s deliveries (Not supposed to deliver early), 5 drops with x miles between, hard parking/walkways and many trays requiring two trips to door can mean only just making the last drop within the hour. Indeed some last in hour drops are actually timed as arriving at 59 min to the hour!
Plus of course you’re going out for a four hour shift so have weight and space constraints so normally max of 17 drops in total (which is fun at Xmas with only 15 spaces for frozen  ;D)

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 10-11-21, 09:20PM »
We are capped at six in the hour but having six then six again back to back can be tight, too tight sometimes.

My personal record in an hour is actually nine but the delivery gods really were smiling for that 60 minutes - small bagged deliveries in the same few streets with easy parking and lastly but not leastly no awkward customers!
« Last Edit: 10-11-21, 09:22PM by gomezz »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 11-11-21, 02:51AM »
Then we could easly assume one drop cost something ike £3 (not including petrol, amortization). Third party will take 2/3 of it..... yeap i see some stupid shake up as there is potentially huge cost saving in out-sourcing delivery, or atleast some of it.
Better not as Tesco might destroy BJ plan of transitioning into high wages economy or something like that :D