News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 08:55AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,363
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 389
Total: 393

Substitute bank holiday

Started by dfl, 24-12-21, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

Im struggling to understand this, im not contracted for saturday or sundays and as christmas day and boxing day falls on those 2 days this year then surely im entitled to both the Monday and Tuesday off and yet they have me on rota for working tuesday, that surely means im being done out of a days holiday .

Anyone know why this is ?
DFL

Davethebave

lackofinterest

you needed to book the tuesday as a bank holiday. it isn't given automatically. you still have an extra bank holiday though but you must book it as one

Vinny1985

Tuesday isn't classed as a Bank holiday in retail. Working week in retail is Monday to Saturday. So you can have the Monday off for the Saturday Bank Holiday.

biggerpicture

If you wanted the Tuesday off you could of booked it off as a holiday.

kaled78

we got screwed to a limited number of bank holidays years ago,regardless of what a calendar will say thanks to usdaw once again

gomezz

That change actually made it fairer as it no longer depended on what days of the week you worked your shifts as to how many "bank holiday" days you got off work.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

horatiocain

The .only a d Tuesday are classified as Bank Holiday under law  Tesco cannot change this.
You should be paid the bank holiday premium for working these days  and if you wanted them off you should have had a Christmas working hours meeting to discuss it.

A working week is Monday to Friday, by law, Saturday and Sunday are not classed as working days at all  just to clarify that.

grim up north

Any chance you can edit that post @horatiocain? I dont understand it

horatiocain

Don't know what's going on lately the post won't let me edit it.

Monday and Tuesday are both  bank holidays, tesco don't get to decide this, it's decided by legislation, so bank holiday rates are in effect as are the rules on who works the..
If anyone wanted these days off they should have raised the matter in their Christmas working arrangements meeting in November, if you got one that is.

A working week is always Monday to Friday, someone above said different, but under law a working week is fixed and never included Saturday and Sunday, that doesn't mean we don't work them, just that they're not considered working days, which was why we had a Saturday premium back when Tesco valued its employees.

[admin]Posters can edit their own posts for up to 10 minutes after posting.[/admin]

grim up north

This has happened in the past where I work on a few occasions. T* can decide the holiday because they are not a bank. I work in a Dc so the 'holiday meetings' dont happen. But premiums do. So who do I believe?

dfl

So in short if anyone can, as the xmas and boxing day in the uk are legislated to have the monday tuesday as substitute days can tesco force you to work the tuesday or can you refuse without repercussion. ?
DFL

BUY TESLA STOCK

[admin]I think you need a break after posting just a smiley reply in a number of topics.[/admin]

horatiocain

So yes you can be made to work the monday amd Tuesday Bank Holidays,as they do not fall on Christmas's day or boxing day.
However they are bank Holidays and so the premium applies.
Our contracts specify that we won't be made to work specific days  substitute bank Holidays are not included.
It's a similar matter with Easter sunday  our contracts make no precision because the store closes, you are free to turn up to work and clock in but they can find you work to do.

barafear

My understanding was that the Tuesday was not paid at BH premium?

Rad

Tuesday is not a bank holiday.   In retail Saturday is usually a normal working day so this is a bank holiday. Sunday cannot be a bank holiday so it moved to Monday.

Nomad

20 working days is considered to be 4 weeks (Monday to Friday), particularly by departments of H M Government.

Has retail been invested with special powers to decide what is a bank holiday and what is not, if so by whom ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Tesco actually go above the minimum requirement here in that legally speaking, there is no automatic right to a day off on a day that a bank holiday falls. However saying that, the law does require a minimum of 5.6 weeks off for full time employees, pro-rata'd for part timers, which ends up meaning that everyone gets the same amount of days off in a year, the difference being that some will have days off that aren't on bank holidays.

In fact, Tesco also increases annual holiday allowances based on length of service (I still believe this to be the case, though wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped this as a cost saving measure) though this is a common benefit among employers, not everyone gets such a perk.

Really the only issue here is people getting bamboozled on bank holiday premium, the amount of bank holidays or substitute bank holidays will be the same everywhere, there's no taking away a bank holiday due to policy decreeing it so.

horatiocain

Retail is not exempt from bank holiday legislation and Saturday is not recognised as a working day by law  its still on weekdays that are counted  its why the right to adjourn for representation is a week despite the law saying 5 days  the law doesn't recognise Saturday and Sunday as working days
Doesn't matter
What Tesco say on that matter.

Tuesday was a Bank Holiday and so the premium applies under contract law.
If you don't get paid it file a grievance along with you pay query.
When they don't listen appeal  then off to ACAS and if they still wont listen use the Tribunal service, it's easy  it was set up for lay people to present their case, it's neither scary nor difficult.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk