News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:52AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 299
Total: 303

Pay Increase 2021

Started by vyvan70, 25-10-21, 12:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BUY TESLA STOCK

That is why you should invest in Tesla. Only other way is to start selling powder.

Nowanexmgr

Quote from: NightAndDay on 02-11-21, 10:09PM
A studio flat where I live on average costs £400k (and this isn't in London) meaning I can't even get a mortgage to buy a house on that money, with how inflation is heading, you'd need to either already own a house in the south east or struggle indefinitely as house prices raise faster than what you can save on £100k a year.

Mate you've had a pay rise of over 70k a year. With discipline you could save 140k in two years easily. That gives you a purchase price of over 600k.
Buy two properties for that elsewhere in the country, rent them out, and use the profit on rent (you should receive a yield of around 7-10% a year) plus your increased wage to rent somewhere decent.

Life is easy if you are disciplined.

Batmanjo

Quote from: lordadmiral on 26-10-21, 08:37PM
Quote from: person7 on 26-10-21, 05:18PM
Quote from: vyvan70 on 25-10-21, 12:50PM
National Living Wage set to rise to £9.50 an hour https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59038076

The BBC just published the minimum wage rising to £9.50 in the budget, giving a 6.6% increase over the current minimum. This would mean Tesco employees on the base rate would be virtually on minimum wage. Will Tesco be raising currently pay rates to match the percentage increase?

i was wondering the same thing but I've never heard of tesco doing a wage increase in april, I bet we will get a tiny 30p an hour increase by october and thats it. - I mean we WERE promised over £10 an hour by at least 1 - 2 years ago, but yet to see any of that happening.

If minimum wage will go up by 5% in 2023 then it would be £9.97. If we receive payrise in autumn 2022 then you could expect atleast 5%.
Now when Tesco wage will be in par with NMW any huge jump of NMW is and would be  huge cost for a company that already spent so much on driving costs down.
At the moment we can expect huge shake up around pay structure. Or basic rate stay in line with NMW or will go up to something like £10+ but premiums or night team will be scrapped.

Sack all management and make it a GA run co-operative  :D otherwise we will be seeing big changes when 90% of the checkouts have gone to self service by 2022 they should be able to afford it, when colleagues are forced to have multi skill and do many department they can afford it, when colleagues are pushed to the brink and just leave as many are doing at the moment they can afford it, when new starters are given such crappy contracts and the Union doesn't bat an eye they can afford it and when the fat cats at the top just skim the cream constantly they may not be able to afford it.......... what did Dave Lewis ever achieve whilst at the helm ??? besides causing misery to many with redundancies to so called streamline the company he got paid from my point of view for doing something anybody with half a brain could have done, the only good idea I have seen in the last decade is the clubcard linked deals everything else is just to appease the shareholders but they forget the biggest shareholders in the company are the GA's

Hammer10

There is only so much cutting back they can do eventually they will run out of thing to cut then they will be snookered.

gomezz

Being snookered is often resolved by a bit of deep screwing!    :D
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Cbatt566

Managers on "6 figure salaries" and can't get a mortgage are clearly ones who have no financial management skills. Totally baffling! Good luck with your retirement- you'll be renting a house when you retire haha!

NightAndDay

I'm not a manager lol, I'm a VP for a public sector body. Also a modest 2 bedroom house where I live (South East not in London) has an average price of around £850k. Meaning if you have a 20% deposit (£170k) you'll need £680k to pay the rest. Mortgage providers in exceptional circumstances will offer 5x your salary meaning you need to be earning around £137k a year for that exceptional rate to pay the rest and legal fees (never mind SDLT).

thor god of thunder

now that we are basically minimum wage you kinda wonder what the real pull of working for them over literally anywhere else. no bonuses (please don't tell me it wasn't guaranteed, it basically was till the preverbal hit the fan). actually years ago when they took the shares in success off us I did point out it was so we had an invested interest in the company, I was just told thats wrong...weird that they are called shares in success then isn't it. so less and less premiums, no bonus, a pension hardly worth having at all. lack of stores with night teams so less chance to earn more on night shifts....oh and you cant even get full shifts on a contract let alone 36.5 hours a week. everyone should just use the company for what they need to then get out, and probably avoid retail full stop to be fair

King1999

Never seen the company so badly since the Lewis era and now......work to rule do your shift at your pace not what some pathetic computer model dictates and as above no incentive what's so ever.

NightAndDay

Quote from: thor god of thunder on 22-11-21, 03:20PM
now that we are basically minimum wage you kinda wonder what the real pull of working for them over literally anywhere else. no bonuses (please don't tell me it wasn't guaranteed, it basically was till the preverbal hit the fan). actually years ago when they took the shares in success off us I did point out it was so we had an invested interest in the company, I was just told thats wrong...weird that they are called shares in success then isn't it. so less and less premiums, no bonus, a pension hardly worth having at all. lack of stores with night teams so less chance to earn more on night shifts....oh and you cant even get full shifts on a contract let alone 36.5 hours a week. everyone should just use the company for what they need to then get out, and probably avoid retail full stop to be fair

I'd say except for the coop and Icelands, Tesco is the worst, better off literally at any other competitor, though I will say there is a limit to how good food retail can be and as s*** as Tesco is, the ones that are better aren't so by a lot , my friend quit his job to work in a phone shop, 1,000x less stress, full time hours and paid around £20k a year.

Rosst

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

Coop part is actually sooo true, I'm talking from experience.  Sadly retail is just a poor man's labour.

thor god of thunder

Quote from: NightAndDay on 22-11-21, 05:07PM
Quote from: thor god of thunder on 22-11-21, 03:20PM

I'd say except for the coop and Icelands, Tesco is the worst, better off literally at any other competitor, though I will say there is a limit to how good food retail can be and as s*** as Tesco is, the ones that are better aren't so by a lot , my friend quit his job to work in a phone shop, 1,000x less stress, full time hours and paid around £20k a year.

sorry didn't know how to cut down the quote! while I accept the basic wag is never going to be great in retail, its more the fact its hard to actually earn anything. like 12 max shifts...I remember doing 16 hours on a Sunday for example.or when you worked past 36.5 hours you would get a little extra on your hourly rate. I think most of us would accept pretty naff wages if you were treated with some kind of value. it feels a numbers game now, just throw a few extra rubbish unmanaged and untrained staff at it and it will be ok, while if your any good at your job your brain dribbles out of your ears!

im down too a couple of shifts a week trying to do other things now as it cant be as bad as scrambling around for hours anymore.

BUY TESLA STOCK

They will need to do something to get a Christmas break.

Hammer10

Not only dc ,s that need a decent pay rise what about store staff we are on nearly minimum wage whilst dc staff get more that 2 pounds a n hour more or even more than that.There could be a reason why they are sending in pallet after pallet of stock to stores because it has never been this bad before Xmas ever.you can't move in our warehouse .Looks like the hierarchy are not going to budge.

chris9997

Usdaw are backing the DC s to strike yet they sold out on our right to strike the reason for this strike is the increased cost of living for staff in DC's don't they think that we have that in stores also, whatever is agreed between usdaw and Tesco needs to be repeated in store.

Hammer10

lordadmiral

....4% is not enough in DC but 2.7% for store staff is ok... ???

barafear

I haven't been at Tesco long enough to know the history - but clearly whatever the Usdaw Collective agreement (re: Store Staff ) was when it was agreed, it doesn't feel too good now does it.

To be honest, I don't know how effective any strike action would be in stores - unless it received such backing so as to close stores - if a DC closes for a few days, it is not as transparent to the public - albeit there may be more gaps on the shelves - but with all the publicity about shortages for various reasons in the last few months the public are somewhat immune to noticing much different.

As for any "competitive" rate of pay for store staff - unfortunately, the Lidl news doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture - albeit it sounds great for Lidl workers.

In reality, it's a pay award coming in during March - so potentially a few weeks of being £10.10 vs. £8.91 NLW = around 14% above NLW - but from April it's 60p about NLW - or less than 7%.

Clearly, if Te$co hold at £9.55 for any length of time, then we will be minimally above the NLW - but I do think T might bring in a pay increase sooner than we have been used to - it might not be a lot - but it will stave off criticism of being literally paying peanuts above NLW -

What I mean about the Lidl deal is that it doesn't set the bar that high - there's no reason for Tesco to beat it - so that gives us an indication that any new deal from T will be around £9.85 range.....

and always that potential that some of our allowances might be taken away.

NightAndDay

With the recent shock of the BOE keeping the base rate at 0.1%, 5% inflation is now expected before April next year. The cause of this inflation isn't just supply shortages, but also labour shortages. In an economic environment where everyone is paying over the odds, nobody will want to be the penny picher here, much less so the Big T.

Compound this with Amazon coming in with 260 stores and a view of market dominance in the next few years, and now the grocery landscape is looking to become extremely competitive. Amazon acting as a particularly large ship staff can jump to if they feel they're inadequately compensated.

madness

Quote from: Hammer10 on 25-11-21, 07:55AM
Not only dc ,s that need a decent pay rise what about store staff we are on nearly minimum wage whilst dc staff get more that 2 pounds a n hour more or even more than that.There could be a reason why they are sending in pallet after pallet of stock to stores because it has never been this bad before Xmas ever.you can't move in our warehouse .Looks like the hierarchy are not going to budge.

50% of the shopfloor staff and 90% of the checkout staff wouldnt last 1 day in the depot

lordadmiral

Regarding Lidl, entry pay might not be extremely higher than NMW but  people with lenght of service get way more. It's going to be 11.40 p/h, correct me but if i rember right they offer higher pay after first and then second year.

forrestgimp

I'm full behind our DC brothers and sisters and I hope they get what they want, its not up to them to fight our battles in store.

Up the workers.

thor god of thunder

Quote from: madness on 25-11-21, 09:22PM
Quote from: Hammer10 on 25-11-21, 07:55AM

50% of the shopfloor staff and 90% of the checkout staff wouldnt last 1 day in the depot

id say those % are a bit high! its a different world in dc and unless you have worked there you defo don't understand the difference

chris9997

I would say that that statement is nonsense there is little to say shop staff can not do what DC workers do, the real issue here is not how the jobs compare but that all staff are getting a decent wage and the facts that USDAW are supporting with call to strike for a fairer increase for DCs is disloyal of USDAW to not see that the 2.7 % for store staff this year was simply not enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk