Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 07:28AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 429
Total: 432

How much do other supermarkets earn?

Started by eversor, 04-03-22, 06:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barafear

Quote from: Prince of Darkness on 31-03-22, 12:41PM
The gain on the shares is tax free. You can take a profit of up to £12,300 each year tax free if you sell as I did, or you can transfer the shares to an ISA within six months, and keep all the dividends and future capital gains tax free.

I was lucky to be able to afford to put in what I did, but the same percentage profit would have been there for anyone doing the same but with less original investment. It's still a profit. I don't smoke and I don't go to Costa in my break (we have one under the same roof). I probably save at least £25.00 a week compared to the guys that pick up a coffee to take outside for a fag break. I know many can't afford that either.

Thanks for the clarification.
I wasn't necessarily implying that you were wrong - just trying to talk on bahalf of the majority of Tesco staff - given that this comment was on a thread about the pay that other supermarkets offer compared to the rates offered by Tesco.
In a way, I don't disagree with your comments about people (whether they be colleagues or not) spending "frivolously" on things such as Costa Coffees and tobacco. I think just the same anytime I hear about people moaning about the cost of fuel or utilities increasing - you wonder if they smoke/drink (to excess shall we say?) - or another one is people who spend money on tattoos but then complain they can't afford to feed their family or heat the house. But I guess we're getting into a whole new argument.

But getting back to the point about the "added benefit" that you alluded to in terms of the SAYE option.

Although you described your success story - there are clearly other times when the share price falls - I don't know exactly what scheme you were in - but looking at the historic share price for Tesco - the price in Nov 2017 was around 265p (this would have been about the time that the option price was set for the 5 year scheme that matured about now (or indeed the 3 year scheme that matured in March 2020).

I won't go into massive details here - but my original point stands here - most lowly paid non-full-time (because Tesco won't give them the contracted hours) Tesco works would struggle to lock themselves into such a scheme - certainly not for the monthly contributions that would create a potential £6k profit.

Also, I'm fairly sure (not certain) that other retailers/potential employers in similar fields would also offer a SAYE scheme.

I would struggle to think that the SAYE scheme would be one of the more beneficial benefits of working for Tesco.

BUY TESLA STOCK

All the long standers usually buying costa and fags might have a few spare bob when the equal pay claim is settled, maybe not. You don't have to have 1000s to invest. Get yourself and Etoro fractional share account and you can invest less than £25 in most companies. If you spend time doing research and are disciplined you can ditch Legal and General as a pension provider and create your own. It wont matter if you are loosing Tesco contributions as the compound interest will soon outstrip anything Tesco would ever do to match or double what you put in.

NightAndDay

L&G are doing a good job looking after my Tesco pension, I've made a lot more than I thought in the growth equity fund, as far as Retail goes, Tescos isn't a bad pension scheme, though the best will always be civil service, mine is better than Tescos and in both pots they are making good gains.

Totot

Saye is not a benefit working in tesco, pushing the maks limit on pension to 7.5% is.
Beside, these days to invest money is really easy. Mostly if we don't aim too high, getting return 10 to 15% a year wont be hard.
Harder to save some decent amount of money to start it.

The most benefit i can have working in tesco for me will be those freebies, mostly few years ago, it can add up quite alot monthly.

BUY TESLA STOCK

If you had invested £1000 in Apple this time last year you would be up 44%. Do your own research 10 15% return is easy as someone has said. With the rising costs of living very few will get the chance living pay to pay. I got a Sainsbury's bank loan at 2/3%APR to raise funds. ;) You then just need to worry about how you cover the payments of a few 100 a month if you are getting 1000s. The compound interest return long term in good companies will always outstrip the APR. I had to do something before the knees and back gave up permanently.  :)  I like to add a bit of risk investing in new start companies up but you can play safe with big companies like Costco, Apple and Microsoft. I seen one guy who released funds from a property to get that initial stake. Got bored waiting on more nightshift redundancy's and the Leigh day equal pay settlement.  :thumbup:

Hammer10

This is a bit cheeky but has anyone heard if an announcement being made on Monday that everyone in Tesco will not like or is it an April fools joke a sick one if there is one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk