News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:23PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 290
Total: 292

Managers and their partners

Started by Mark calloway, 26-09-21, 11:05PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark calloway

Can a manager have their partner working on the same dept and same shifts? I always thought this wasn't allowed. 

lordadmiral

Shift yes, but not department. Unless something changed lately.

Mark calloway

As per usual this store do whatever the hell they want.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Mark calloway on 26-09-21, 11:05PM
Can a manager have their partner working on the same dept and same shifts? I always thought this wasn't allowed.

Same shifts yes but not same department, it's called conflict of interest, in my experience it's only ever used to make a rabble rouser or undesirable change stores (or in the case of large formats, change departments I guess), very much a case of that we're all equal just some are more equal than others.

Morris999

Would depend on which format!
In Extra and Superstore, there would be no issues as the partner would be managed by another manager, as per the new structure.
In Express it would cause issues so would need to be signed off by the Area manager or whatever they are called.

lucgeo

This was never allowed in the past, having relatives working the same department, especially the departments dealing in cash...a checkout operator could not have a relative in the cash office, or on the CSD.

Senior managers could only have a relative employed in store, at the discretion of the GSM, and then if there were any objections raised from other store colleagues, the relative would be obliged to transfer to another store.

It was to stop exactly what now happens, family members/partners working the same department can often result in causing tension amongst other department colleagues, whether intentional or not, as some times can be perceived as favouritism, ganging up or bullying.
Some colleagues feel they are overshadowed by the familiarity between family members, that they can't always speak openly and freely...'you cut one, they all bleed'
I have also witnessed weaker new managers, being undermined by family members in the same department, getting away with things, because the manager lacks the experience on how to deal with them!

Then there's the holiday/day off/shift allocation. This can create an unfair disadvantage to others, especially if the department is small. If two or more colleagues are continually booking the exact same time off etc...then the rest of the department will feel restricted in the choices remaining. Yes every department has the % allowance of holiday leave, but when it is continually block booked by families, it causes resentment especially as there is little chance of getting one to shift/holiday swap.

Then there's the family emergencies, family illness, bereavement etc...all understandably very upsetting, but the impact on one department's colleagues can be huge!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

forrestgimp

Quote from: lordadmiral on 26-09-21, 11:26PM
Shift yes, but not department. Unless something changed lately.

LMAO. Our store had about 3 different managers with partners and kids all working for them.

NightAndDay

Relatives and friends working in the same team shouldn't happen, however it does. It has about as much integrity as the promotion system in place. Friendyfriends, brother in laws and kids get their mateyboy promotions without so much as a look at meritocracy.

It's not what you know it's who you blow being the main criteria for progression into Police Academy Tesco Managers edition.

horatiocain

There is no formal rule prohibiting people working together, if their behaviour becomes an issue then that's what the discplinary policy is for.

NightAndDay

There is in some arrangements, it's called Conflict of Interest, it's also why you can't have a husband disciplining a wife etc, anything that causes a person to put their own interests above the  best couse of action of the company is a conflict of interest situation.

Biscuit tin

Given the amount of managerial extra-marital affairs I've seen over the years I'm not surprised their partners want to work and keep tabs on them.

happyone

They do what they like, our night lead team manager and his wife both work at night on the same shift.

NightAndDay

And therein lies the problem, "we're all equal, just some are more equal than others." It is against Tescos policies for these sorts of things to happen and I have seen countless examples of conflict of interest rules being broken, I have also seen it applied to those who are deemed by the kangaroo court of Tesco management to be less equal than those who can get away with it.

Honestly a by the books manager would have a field day, Africas politicians could learn a thing or 2 about how to run a more corrupt banana republic by observing how Tesco runs their business.

BUY TESLA STOCK

RocketRonnie100

treetop

Yes been happening for years I worked in cashoffice where I worked with my managers sister where they decided to cut the number of hours in there so I got punted and her sister got more hours .

newguy20

I thought there was no restriction on cash office relations - on the same reason that a cash office staff could be working on the day after they'd been on checkouts etc as theoretically the smart drawers mean there can't be any fiddling.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk