News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:09PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 288
Total: 290

Driver hours

Started by ConfusedDriver, 20-09-21, 01:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConfusedDriver

Hey folks,

I'm not sure this is going to get much of a response as the Distribution Transport forum seems um dead.  8-)

But I've recently applied for the Warehouse to wheel role and it all sounded great 42hrs a week and pretty decent pay well compared to dotcom driving, so I passed my driving assessment and I wait to hear about interview success.

But I'm here trying to establish some more info on something that was mentioned during the interview which is making me think do I really want the role?  :-\

11hr shifts 5 days a week adds up to 55hrs or 51.25 after breaks. Which correct me if I'm wrong isn't a 42 hour week  ;)

I'm all for overtime hell, I currently work 6 day weeks in my dotcom driver roll but that still allows me to have a life, see the girl, walk the dog, work out etc.
But 55hrs of work a week well that's um not leaving much time for anything apart from sleeping on days you work.

My question is this the extra day required? because forcing people to do those kinds of hours week in week out seems well rubbish to put it nicely. I'd have to do that extra day at least twice a month to make the move worthwhile, but week in week out I think's a bit excessive.

Any info or experience here would be great so that should I be successful I can make an informed decision on taking the role.

Thanks in advance

ConfusedDriver  ???

NightAndDay

Yes, something is amiss here, what is common practice these days is offering lower contracted hours topped up by regular overtime, it used to be the case that this would save the company money on employee expenses (before holiday pay was changed to calculate average pay, it was calculated on contracted pay not including overtime). The only benefit of having many on shorter hours now is flexibility and contingency, you can cover  a driver on days off he's sick and vice versa.

With the exception of early days, the only other element that takes away from your core hours are breaks. With this in mind  it sounds like you're informally on 55 hours a week, but  contracted on less hours and the excess made up of "regular overtime". I advice you to keep a note of all hours worked.

hesketh

You don't say which depot you are looking to join but I think the new contract is the same all over now.

You will be contracted 5 x 8.5hr shifts over 7 days. Overtime is generally available to suit, but you may be asked, not forced, to do up to 15 hours on any particular shift. Once you pass 42.5 hours you will get paid at t+1/2.

The nature of driving is such that you may, occasionally, get caught out but you know that from Dot-com. Once you get your feet under the table you will learn how to manage your day and your overtime. Nobody is going to force you into 55-60 hour weeks unless you want to do it.

The money is much better and the work is not difficult. The way you will be treated is much better than stores and once you have your hands on that licence you will never earn less than £30k pa.......

Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

Nomad

@ConfusedDriver there are a number of members, hesketh being one, who can give you a mountain of advice on HGV driving & hours etc, and dare I say the 'handling' of transport office staff, some of whom have their own agenda.

Yes the Distribution Transport forum did go very quite due, I believe, to influx of contractors etc,  I will always keep it open for those who have questions/problems.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

hesketh

I checked with a colleague on the new contract and I made a mistake on the overtime rate. You are payed overtime on a daily basis after 8 1/2 hours.

Once again I must stress that you have nothing to fear in distribution. Some of the newer depots are a little more demanding than the older ones, who still have the odd manager that knows what they are doing, but the work is easily managed and the existing drivers will soon teach you how to sort it all out.

Drivers tend to have contempt for anyone who can't do the job, which leads to a camaraderie that you will soon learn to enjoy. The clerks and "managers" that you will interact with are usually regarded as useless but that leaves you plenty of room to manoeuvre ;)

Enjoy your change in career, I hope you pass the tests and settle in.

The most important thing to remember: IF IN DOUBT, ASK A SHUNTER!

belfast driver

I'd stay well clear if I was you. The rotas are absolutely awful and you'll not have much of a life outside Tesco.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

VladPutin

Quote from: hesketh on 22-09-21, 03:32PM
I checked with a colleague on the new contract and I made a mistake on the overtime rate. You are payed overtime on a daily basis after 8 1/2 hours.

Once again I must stress that you have nothing to fear in distribution. Some of the newer depots are a little more demanding than the older ones, who still have the odd manager that knows what they are doing, but the work is easily managed and the existing drivers will soon teach you how to sort it all out.

Drivers tend to have contempt for anyone who can't do the job, which leads to a camaraderie that you will soon learn to enjoy. The clerks and "managers" that you will interact with are usually regarded as useless but that leaves you plenty of room to manoeuvre ;)

I've lost count of how many drivers have stood outside, knocking on the fire door instead of walking up the ramp into the warehouse. Not to mention the driver who somehow manged to hit the railings on the ramp as he was reversing in, badly denting them(it didn't do his wagon much good, either).

Drivers like to think they are, "special" and they are. But often not in a good way... ;D

belfast driver

Belfast is full of Drivers with special needs. Can't do this, can't do that. It's getting beyond a joke.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

hesketh

QuoteI've lost count of how many drivers have stood outside, knocking on the fire door instead of walking up the ramp into the warehouse. Not to mention the driver who somehow manged to hit the railings on the ramp as he was reversing in, badly denting them(it didn't do his wagon much good, either).

Drivers like to think they are, "special" and they are. But often not in a good way... ;D

Probably because that door is the indicated entrance on the SDRA. Stores seem to think that they can unilaterally change things without consultation or notification.

Most stores barely pay lip service to the SDRA and cause most of the damage by clogging up the yard with stuff that shouldn't be there.....

Rigger

Quote from: hesketh on 22-09-21, 03:32PM

Overtime is paid after 42-5 hrs.

As for "if in doubt, ask a shutter", I take it you're on a wind up, I wouldn't even ask them the time coz you'd get a wrong answer, never mind anything else.

Rigger

Quote from: ConfusedDriver on 20-09-21, 01:22PM
Hey folks,

I'm not sure this is going to get much of a response as the Distribution Transport forum seems um dead.  8-)

But I've recently applied for the Warehouse to wheel role and it all sounded great 42hrs a week and pretty decent pay well compared to dotcom driving, so I passed my driving assessment and I wait to hear about interview success.

But I'm here trying to establish some more info on something that was mentioned during the interview which is making me think do I really want the role?  :-\

11hr shifts 5 days a week adds up to 55hrs or 51.25 after breaks. Which correct me if I'm wrong isn't a 42 hour week  ;)

I'm all for overtime hell, I currently work 6 day weeks in my dotcom driver roll but that still allows me to have a life, see the girl, walk the dog, work out etc.
But 55hrs of work a week well that's um not leaving much time for anything apart from sleeping on days you work.

My question is this the extra day required? because forcing people to do those kinds of hours week in week out seems well rubbish to put it nicely. I'd have to do that extra day at least twice a month to make the move worthwhile, but week in week out I think's a bit excessive.

Any info or experience here would be great so that should I be successful I can make an informed decision on taking the role.

Thanks in advance

ConfusedDriver  ???

All you have to do is let it known you'd like basic hours every day & you'll be fine, overtime isn't compulsory.

VladPutin

Quote from: hesketh on 03-10-21, 03:38AM

QuoteI've lost count of how many drivers have stood outside, knocking on the fire door instead of walking up the ramp into the warehouse. Not to mention the driver who somehow manged to hit the railings on the ramp as he was reversing in, badly denting them(it didn't do his wagon much good, either).

Probably because that door is the indicated entrance on the SDRA. Stores seem to think that they can unilaterally change things without consultation or notification.

Most stores barely pay lip service to the SDRA and cause most of the damage by clogging up the yard with stuff that shouldn't be there.....

I would have thought the sign stating, Fire Door in large letters might have been something of a give away.  ;D

gomezz

Just because it is a fire door does not mean it not also used for normal access.  Just means it should never be locked or propped open.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

VladPutin

Fire Doors, at least in my store, are alarmed. Anyone opening one would have to explain to the DM why they'd just set off the Fire Alarm.

I'd would have thought that would be obvious even to drivers, but apparently not. 8-)

Nomad

There is a difference between a fire door and a fire escape route via a door, a door could be both or either depending on specifications etc.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

hesketh

Quote from: Nomad on 20-09-21, 05:02PM
@ConfusedDriver there are a number of members, hesketh being one, who can give you a mountain of advice on HGV driving & hours etc, and dare I say the 'handling' of transport office staff, some of whom have their own agenda.

Yes the Distribution Transport forum did go very quite due, I believe, to influx of contractors etc,  I will always keep it open for those who have questions/problems.

Hardly surprising that there is a reluctance for drivers to get involved eh?

The forum is dominated by people with no understanding but huge opinions.....

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

VladPutin

Quote from: Nomad on 04-10-21, 02:17PM
There is a difference between a fire door and a fire escape route via a door, a door could be both or either depending on specifications etc.

If a door leads to the outside, and has, "Fire Door" written on it, then it will be linked to the alarm system. Anyone who needs that explained to them shouldn't be driving a wagon in the first place.

baldeagle

The vast majority of the stores that I delivered to, the only route into the warehouse was via a fire door. And the route to enter the warehouse was on the SSOW.

Nomad

https://sdguk.co.uk/fire-doors/
QuoteFire exit doors, on the other hand, are external doors and are not built to prevent the spread of fire. Its purpose is to allow for the quick and easy escape of a building – they are usually locked but should be simple to open via a push or panic bar. These should never be obstructed and must be clearly marked and easily accessible.

There is no requirement for a fire exit door to be connected to alarm system, that is down to a company decision which will vary company to company.  it is to do with security not raising fire alarm.

Fire doors are design/built/installed to prevent spread of fire between areas within a building, not from within to outside.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

VladPutin

Quote from: baldeagle on 06-10-21, 09:24AM
The vast majority of the stores that I delivered to, the only route into the warehouse was via a fire door. And the route to enter the warehouse was on the SSOW.

Our store has a ramp that leads directly into the warehouse. I have found memories of having to hand-ball a full wagon's load up the bloody thing when the ramp hand broken down. Of course, every manager decided to, ahem, "have a meeting" as soon as the wagon turned up. Twenty five very tiring minutes later, when we'd finished, a young female manager told me I needed to wash and iron my fleece, as it was wrinkled.

And that was the point things went horribly wrong for her... >:D

VladPutin

Quote from: Nomad on 06-10-21, 10:33AM
https://sdguk.co.uk/fire-doors/
QuoteFire exit doors, on the other hand, are external doors and are not built to prevent the spread of fire. Its purpose is to allow for the quick and easy escape of a building – they are usually locked but should be simple to open via a push or panic bar. These should never be obstructed and must be clearly marked and easily accessible.

There is no requirement for a fire exit door to be connected to alarm system, that is down to a company decision which will vary company to company.  it is to do with security not raising fire alarm.

Fire doors are design/built/installed to prevent spread of fire between areas within a building, not from within to outside.

Apart from my store I've worked on attachment at four or five others. In every single one of them, the external fire doors were alarmed, and most had a sticker on them saying exactly that.  Exactly why the Trunk Monkeys think this doesn't apply to them I'll never understand. 8-)

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: VladPutin on 10-10-21, 09:45PM
Quote from: baldeagle on 06-10-21, 09:24AM

Our store has a ramp that leads directly into the warehouse. I have found memories of having to hand-ball a full wagon's load up the bloody thing when the ramp hand broken down. Of course, every manager decided to, ahem, "have a meeting" as soon as the wagon turned up. Twenty five very tiring minutes later, when we'd finished, a young female manager told me I needed to wash and iron my fleece, as it was wrinkled.

And that was the point things went horribly wrong for her... >:D

Sounds about right colleagues struggling and Do Little, Pockets and Fraggle are in the office having meetings usually with plenty of adjournments for smoke breaks and coffee.  >:D

Mangomuncher

Think this is the best post i have found on the forum so far!
I am currently also looking to swap my store role for the hgv apprenticeship.
To me its a no brainer from my current role.
OT paid at time and a half!? I heardweekends also you get "unsociable hourly rate of time and a third"?
Can anyone enlighten me on the hourly pay rate for "new" contract at Hinckley?
I have asked many drivers but they are all on the old contract or agency.

hesketh

Not sure exactly but I believe it's around £13ph

You get overtime at t+1/2 and unsociable hours for nights and weekends. Hopefully Rigger will chip in with the correct figures, but I am also on the "old contract".

The mix of old/new contract drivers is close to 50/50 now so keep asking drivers at your store, there will be a "new" guy along soon...

The job is relatively easy (once you get used to driving HGVs) and you can easily earn £40-£50k with reasonable overtime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk