News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 07:54AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 420
Total: 424

Stock Counts

Started by beentheredoneit, 29-03-21, 03:23PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beentheredoneit

Surely only this company could:
get rid of stock counters
get rid of stock managers
schedule full counts on fresh foods when;
       mfp range change
       end of period bakery counts
       most stores struggling with holidays post covid
and expect all done in one day
wonder how many recounts required
wonder how many screen counts done

very interesting to look from afar ......

beentheredoneit

penguin

Screen counts are monitored, any store suspected to be doing them it gets highlighted to store manager, and area manager in express and metro.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

King1999

I'm sure you get plenty of support f*$k all that is......it's the mentality of basing your man hours on the least busiest day of the year.......just do what you can do.Your just hours to them now not a human being,they have got your well being as top priority though,what a joke.

lordadmiral

"...just do what you can do"?! It sounds great until you fail and end up in the office having Lets talk. Seen it, experienced it...

Me2015

Same c**p each Easter and Xmas, the office have no clue on the actual amount of work needed to complete full counts and the stores don't support the stock teams to deliver it!   Any Let's Talk should be swiftly challenged and counter acted in relation to support given, as per the brief, by other store teams!

Shambles, in my opinion causing more issues than fixes!!

King1999

Quote from: lordadmiral on 29-03-21, 11:42PM
"...just do what you can do"?! It sounds great until you fail and end up in the office having Lets talk. Seen it, experienced it...

Not being funny if you've got 2 stock control covering the backdoor..........i really couldn't careless.The whole company is a joke.More than happy to have a meeting funnily enough not had one yet.

forrestgimp

Quote from: penguin on 29-03-21, 04:22PM
Screen counts are monitored, any store suspected to be doing them it gets highlighted to store manager, and area manager in express and metro.

Eh, not sure I understand. Are you saying they are not supposed to count stock and if they do they are challenged as to why?

fscer

Its a report that shows how quick counts were done, so for example produce doesn't take 15mins :)

whatajoke2019

Is this the 14x counts out of interest?

I know they've said the full counts could be completed by this Saturday at the latest if resource allowed (agreed, none  ;)) but I can't imagine that'd work very well as we head into Easter  :thumbdown:

penguin

Quote from: forrestgimp on 30-03-21, 01:05PM
Quote from: penguin on 29-03-21, 04:22PM

Eh, not sure I understand. Are you saying they are not supposed to count stock and if they do they are challenged as to why?

Nope screen counts is where someone prints off all the count sheets that we used to use years ago and simply goes onto 141 and agrees with the sheets. or changes just one or two, and has resulted in people getting into trouble in the past.

forrestgimp

oh I see, yea my mate was in Stock control many many years ago and that's what he did, I used to watch him do it on the computers in the admin room.

cherrypie

What's up with counting all of the fresh food departments over this weekend and
next weekend plus produce move and end of peroid bakery count.

just curious

If like a lot of stores availability would be poor or out  of stock with not much stock holding to count ?

spike_pkh

We had our stock count recently and all went pretty smoothly. The only ridiculous thing about them is expecting the night team in ridiculously early to fill the shop ready for counts to start at midnight. Whoever planned that obviously never worked nights

cherrypie

We are expected to count everything with just 7 hrs extra overtime when there is only one person who works sun till 8.

Hammer10

Our bakery has not been counted in over 14 months .stock control I was once told by a store manager the future of the company what a joke they don't care anymore with all the stealing by customers not paying for goods with the scan as you shop ,I often see people just filling their bags up and not scanning any thing in .No wonder we are losing millions of pounds ,they need to go back to how it used to be done count stores in the morning and out of stock every thing might be time consuming but it will highlight how much is going out the door without paying for it.Sorry silly me they don't like having staff in stores now it would cost them money.

King1999

Stock control died when the hours were cut and all the experience culled.

penguin

Correct I used to be a food stock controller and the hours were cut and cut and cut from the department and then staff being taken off counting to support tills and dot com, something that in the past would never happen, stock control hours were not to be touched without the sm giving the ok, stock control in this company has not been taken seriously at the higher levels for about a decade now, company wants it all done via the centre, and sorry to say but it just does not work.

lucgeo

8-) Ditto  8-)

Stock control used to do what it said on the tin...control their stock, order extra for the store stock that sold well, and reduce stock coming in that wasn't selling through. They could order stock that the store didn't hold, for customer orders etc. The invoices were checked off manually, discrepancies were noticed immediately. All full timers, all knew their job inside out, now they have two part timers on 16 hour contracts!

I found myself on stock control, after the dept I worked closed. Ten years as a stockie, and I still didn't have all the knowledge of the older stockies. It was the most complex and confusing job I'd ever undertaken, but extremely interesting, the days used to fly by.

Then the centres took over! Stock was forced in, shrink and waste went through the roof...add to that, all hands... call stock control, checkout cover and red calls...get stock control to cover, rumble...stock control was  in the majority. As for the GSM...he doesn't know how to use a PDA! He can't even figure out how to check stock on his phone app...always didn't have his phone on him when asked about stock availability...HA! It's there mate glued to your ear!  His comment one day to my manager to get stock control to cover, " all they do all day, is walk around with a piece of paper in their hands!" Yep, kind of says it all  ??? The man didn't have a clue how the dept worked  :-X

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Hammer10

I was a stock controller back in the 90,s it was great now I walk through the stores at varying times of the day and I am embarrassed by the empty shelves and it's not due to brexit or lorry driver shortages it's due to incompetence by the company .

VladPutin

Centralising stock control was one of the worst decisions Tesco ever made - and by Christ, that's really saying something! When I started, SC worked with Fresh managers to fine tune the levels for Produce, Dairy etc. There was nothing like the insane levels of Waste and Shrink we see today. If any SC manager screwed up that badly, he would be removed from his role.

Centre needs to be closed down, the staff made redundant and control given back to store SC teams and Fresh managers.

forrestgimp

I agree with vlad, It was the same when I started my pal was grocery SC and he knew how much of everything we had or didnt have and spent hours on one of the computers in the admin office sorting it out.

Jump to today and I dont even know who our SC people are any more and I never see the counting going on that used to happen.

Hammer10

whatajoke2019

Have supported stock control in the past (admittedly since the changes)-not sure what it's like in other stores but every day loose mushrooms would be on counts, probably still are?

Never did quite understand why it was productive/efficient to check them every day but then again this is the company who decide to re-introduce lines in our store that are constantly out of code/reduced  ???.

NorthernJ

Yep loose mushrooms come down everyday still in our extra.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk