Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 12:24AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,361
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 371
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 364
Total: 367

Vaccination planning/progress

Started by Nomad, 03-02-21, 12:15PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Sorry bit of a rant but I just had to post this.

A member of my family is seriously CEV on account of multiple (CEV qualifying) medical conditions and age (70+).

Monday 01/02/21 BBC news, new jab centre opens 8 miles away, a very physically active TV personality of 70+ gets their jab, I'm happy for them.

Same day late post, I and family invited to make appointment on line or phone, I use phone as I want to get both on same day and as close as possible.  Best they can offer, regardless of day or time is 26 miles away (round trip of 52 mile and approx 2 hour driving time), desperate to get jab for CEV person the days & times offered are accepted, even though not really acceptable.

Late the same day text to me asking me to go online and make appointment for JUST myself at a venue only 6 miles away, no mention of the person who is seriously CEV, I am not.

Is anybody actually running the vaccination program  :question:

What experiences have you, family or friends had  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Ravvers

I haven't heard of any family or friends having to go that far , 26 miles is a joke ! Everyone I know have only had to go no more than 2 miles , in most cases just to their local GP .

Nomad

I still can't get my head around the thinking that healthy 70+ year olds are the same priority as 70+ Clinically Extremely Vulnerable.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

BUY TESLA STOCK

Let the professionals do the work.

Nomad

Is that what you call them.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

BUY TESLA STOCK

Maybe not then Nomad why are vaccines being hidden in fridges, vaccine centres not operating 24/7 and the army not brought in to speed up the process. Sturgeons answer just blame a few chemists and GPs.  £s for the few is all it is at the risk to everyone’s Health and safety.

Katarn2000

I don't trust the vaccines. Letting others test them out and see if there are too many risks of problems first. Good luck.

Welshie

Where I am GPS are currently on 75-79 yr olds and vaccine centres have opened and 65-69yr olds can go on and book both doses in them . Which means perfectly healthy 65-69yr olds are getting vaccine before 70-74 yr old and the CEV and no word on second doses for the 80+ age group . 
It's all very well for people to say let the professionals do their job but if you already have limited life expectancy, spending the time you have not leaving the house or seeing family and friends is very sad .

londoner83

Sadly even if you get both doses you still have to abide by the current locldown rules.

I have relatives in South Yorkshire. All over 70 years old have had their vaccination in their home town with the exception of my mother in law who has been told she must travel to Sheffield which is about 33 miles away.

Welshie

Quote from: londoner83 on 03-02-21, 07:01PM
Sadly even if you get both doses you still have to abide by the current locldown rules.

Yes but at least they could go for a walk , go to the shop etc which currently they are advised not to do by consultant. 

notsofunny

Quote from: 80377494 on 03-02-21, 07:26PM
I have relatives in South Yorkshire. All over 70 years old have had their vaccination in their home town with the exception of my mother in law who has been told she must travel to Sheffield which is about 33 miles away.

I have a Uncle that refused to leave the house he is 84 and  Active After speaking to the Doctor it was decided that they would come out to his house to give him the Jab , so you could try and give the surgery a call to see if they will come out to your mother in law ,,

notsofunny

She has refused to go and is waiting to hear further from her GP.

Redshoes

My son had vaccine last week and my daughter-in-law has her date 1 mile from where they live. My son because of his job and my daughter-in-law because she is CEV. There is no need to make an appointment. People are being contacted directly. My daughter in law had text first to say mid feb but had letter to say exact date and time along with where to go.
For our area there is a vaccine centre that just happens to be close to where we live. Pure chance.
First off, I would check that contact details are up to date. Was she invited to flu vaccine? We live in a small city.
My friend who lives in a major city has her date for vaccine this week, both her and husband are in early 70’s.
The local vaccine centres have dates and times sorted. If you go round the system you may be taking an appointment off someone else. I don’t know why you have not heard, questions do need to be asked but if appointments have already been issued in the local centres there may not be any other choice but to travel. It has been like that for people being tested. Some have gone local but others have been offered tests at a very long distance or by post. It seems to be different all the time so it’s going by availability on that day.

Rogerbodger

I’m CEV and on the shielding list.

Still haven’t been offered my vaccination  :thumbdown:

Ravvers

my lodgers dad had the vaccine at a GP's on 21 January , I think he was 80 - he was in a bad way health wise - cancer,lung disease & had a aneurysm & as he was so frail they couldn't operate to sort that out , anyway he had the vaccine at 12pm & at 2pm he dropped dead in front of her ! He had spent practically a whole year in lockdown knowing if he caught Covid -19 it would kill him & I think he must of been so anxious to get this jab so he could perhaps have some freedom again but it proved too much for him , 2 hours after having the jab though ! Broke my heart to hear my lodger come home - she was sobbing her heart out in my kitchen , I knew it had to be something to do with her dad so came downstairs to see if she was ok , just awful day that was  :(

Welshie

That is very sad , have they related it to the jab . The anxiety about going out could have affected his blood pressure or so many variables that could have caused this .

Ravvers

That was her  first reaction - that it was the vaccine - that mortified me as my sister in law was the nurse that gave the jab as she is a nurse at his GP's  but it was very likely the aneurysm as we was warned this was the way he most likely die , no post mortem is being done & the family have accepted that . I agree he must of been very anxious that day , it's a great shame as he was a lovely man , he used to look after my house whilst we was at work & look after the dog & other pets but because of Covid I hadn't seen him for a year . It's tragic he spent much of his last year indoors but this is happening to a lot of other families too obviously .

Welshie

Yes it's very tough , my husband is CEV but at least we have each other , for people who live alone it must be hell .
I also think that as the top priority groups are elderly , extremely vulnerable or both , there will be lots of horror stories about the affect of the vaccine as by their definition these groups are going to die sooner . I hope it doesn't deter people from getting it .

Ravvers

The medicine watchdog said today that a total of 143 Brits have died shortly after having their covid jab but the medicines & healthcare regulatory agency insisted the vaccines are safe & didn't play a role in the deaths. Officials say the majority of reported fatalities were in elderly people or people with underlying illness .Investigators said there is no suggestion the jab played a role in the deaths .Over 10 million Brits have now had their first dose of the jab so it is a very small number who have died shortly after, as in my lodgers dads case all would of been seriously ill beforehand .

Nomad

Had vaccination today, 26 miles away.  Had to fill in a form, highly amused at one of the questions:

"Are you allergic to any of the ingredients  in Covid 19 vaccine ?", problem being at this point I don't know which of the approved vaccines I am to get, and even if I did I would not know what the ingredients are.  I very much doubt the staff were aware either, asking the question brought the reply "it's a stupid question".
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

Has anyone had to take any time off for a Covid jab? Do you get paid?

Pathfinder

When you have an appointment for the covid jab, your manger and you can agree to move your hours around for you to attend the jab .

notsofunny

When I got my call they asked me when I wanted it as did everyone that I know that has had it including frontline  line workers, so you should be booking it when your not working.  Unless you think you should get paid to help save yourself and others  8-)

adamski26

2.24 What do I do if a colleague needs time off to attend a vaccination appointment?

Unpaid leave or Where the colleague chooses as a lifestyle break subject to the normal lifestyle break policy. The government’s programme of vaccination against Covid-19 is soon anticipated to extend to the next set of priority groups. If colleagues in these and all subsequent priority groups are required to attend a vaccination appointment during scheduled working hours, please support them to do this by rearranging their shifts and working hours as needed. In the limited cases where this is not possible, colleagues should be paid for time off needed to attend their appointment, with the approval of their
manager.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk