News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:54PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,125
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Trustworthy?

Started by The Guvnor, 29-01-21, 07:37AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Guvnor

I have received the following information from several trusted sources.
The following is now/or will be happening in several areas within the company.

Several years ago, a dispute was resolved by a signed agreement between employees and the company, a major part of the agreement being that the employees would receive retained pay in perpetuity.

The company have unilaterally decided they now wish to renege on this agreement, I say renege because in my opinion I know of no other suitable word.

They have offered a payment equal to 18 months of retained pay to terminate the agreement, employees have until 13th Feb 2021 to accept or decline.  You may no doubt be thinking that appears to be a reasonable offer. 

However, the sting in the tail is that those who decline will be Dismissed, yes Sacked. But maybe re-engaged in their jobs on new T&Cs and pay structure.

If those that accept leave the company (other than permanent ill health) or transfer to a role which does not attract the retained pay then they must repay, on a pro rata basis, the award payment.

Is it just coincidence that this is happening at a time of rapid rising unemployment due to the Coronavirus Pandemic?

Should staff be dismissed for wishing to honour an agreement?

Is this how this company honours an agreement?

Is this how a British company now treats long serving employees?

Could you, your family or friends be next?
The Guvnor

Dungivnatoss

Nomad

Outrageous  >:(  Just how low can some companies go.

"Never make a deal with the devil  >:D"
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

grim up north

No matter what deal you sign, it doesn't seem to be worth the paper it's written on. In all walks of life

Phoneshopguy

British gas are litterally on strike right now cause of a fire then rehire policy

des

Tesco look after there customers and there staff. My arse they do

Theansweris42

If this is the case surely shows how low Tesco is now, morally bankrupt.

dotnochance

What jobs are this in reference to? Or the deal

Morris999

What deal is this in relation too?
How long ago was this deal agreed?
How many colleagues are we talking about that this affects?
Is it Stores,Distribution or HO that this affects?
How much on average per colleague are we realistically talking about? £10,£100,£100 per month?
And who are the several trusted sources?
Please don’t say they are from Doris on checkouts or Steve from nights or again it could be from Dave the instore union rep(who hates Tesco) or even Becky my team manager but then again it could be from the trustworthy SM who if true has leaked confidential information.

Nomad

From enquires I have made a Scottish DC is included, but there are other locations in the same situation,
And you can take that from the horses mouth  :thumbup:

The point is that once this course of action is established it could, and highly likely to, happen in any sector of the company.

The location and the numbers or the amount are immaterial when considering the principle.
A deal(signed & sealed) is a deal, to threaten dismissal for failure to surrender ones rights could be a form of blackmail. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Expressbee

Distribution are already aware and those affected in consultation. It’s in the media...

Nomad

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/lifestyle/food-and-drink/tesco-supplies-risk-strike-threat-retail-giant-plans-cut-pay-distribution-workers-thousands-3116498

QuoteA spokesman said: “A very small number of colleagues in our distribution network receive a supplement to their pay which was offered a number of years ago as an incentive to retain colleagues.

More complicated than the company quote implies, and misses the point that it is a signed agreement.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lightmyfire

>:( out of the blue told 4 weeks take it or leave it,some guys set to lose 3k to 13k a year!!! I'm mid range,reneging  on a deal ...stressed and disgusted.

Einstein

The potential for this is that employers may be able to fire staff and re hire on a lesser contract without having to pay redundancy packages :question:

Would/Could this become normal practice amongst companies to avoid paying redundancy packages ever again :question:
Einstein.

He who thinks wins, Sometimes

NightAndDay

As this is union backed strike action, any dismissals as a result of this would be classed as automatic unfair dismissal, they can fire them, but would have to pay out greater sums than for redundancy.

Kieth_Lemon

is this similar to what ASDA did a few years back?

dotnochance

Lol there will be no strike, the union will roll over and show its belly to tesco

NightAndDay

The union in the link is unite, not the union-only-in-name USDAW (read uselessdaw), they, unlike uselessdaw didn't suppress tesco workers rights by forming the partnership agreement giving up members rights to strike action, though from what I hear still a sub-par union, they have no issues allowing Strike action if necessary.

Nomad

Tesco condemned by Livingston MP

QuoteMs Bardell met Tesco bosses along with West Lothian SNP MSPs Fiona Hyslop and Angela Constance and urged the company to think again about its intention to end the “retained” bonus by firing and rehiring the workers.

She said: “I condemn the company’s action. We have asked them to pause and reconsider because they are breaking a contract.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dotnochance

As shitty and c**p as it is, Tesco are completely within their rights to do this, when it really comes to it large corporations can do what they want. Maybe people will stop electing officials that hate the working class, stop voting tories. Tesco wouldn’t be breaking any laws doing this.
Think it bad now, the tories have already said they will be looking at employe  rights post brexit, can’t see use getting more rights lol

Nomad

It would  possibly never come to it, but is there not such a thing as breach of contract ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Redshoes

Is this to do with distribution, not stores.
It used to be that different depots made their own pay and conditions agreements. I am not sure as I work in stores but I think there has been a move towards trying to get depots all the same. I gather that at one time the pick rates varied hugely between depots for example.
Is this all to do with this?

Nomad

It is centred around Distribution, but the matter of the breaking of a signed & sealed agreement is of of much wider concern, or it should be.

"a move towards trying to get depots all the same" I can understand that, but breaking an agreement and dismissing long serving employees is not the way to do it, especially trying the excuse that new payroll software does not understand protected payments.

Here's a novel idea write the software with the ability to do so  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

That would cost Tesco money, the axe wielding CEOs of late wouldn't have it as that means money out of their pocket, better to screw the serfs and proletariets than trouble the Bourgeoisie with moral quandries.

grim up north

At least distribution can strike

Redshoes

Interesting about the payroll side of things. Work & Pay has struggled with the premium pay for early starts in my store. It has to be be put through as ad hoc pay and not premium as premium did not pay people. Oracle could not cope with Sunday trading hours in Scotland. Work & Pay is closer to being rolled out to all now though. It was all directors first, then all salaried and some trial stores. Looks to be everyone else October time but date has been moved back a few times so not set in stone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk