News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:20AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 177
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Sickness policy

Started by Gooner73, 02-03-20, 09:58PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowanexmgr

Quote from: Cinderella on 15-11-21, 09:56AM
Is it correct that your company sick pay resets on the anniversary of your join date? I was off for medical testing for a few days recently, less than a week but enough that I would have fallen into having some days as paid sick leave. When I asked about the SSP and why leaving early for the test after working three quarters of my shift was deducted, the reply was that I have run out of sick pay. But they also told me that sick pay resets on your joining anniversary. I haven't been off sick since early this year, and my join date was in the summer, so I'm just wondering which of the two conflicting statements I've been offered are correct?

Confusion like this around "how much sick pay do I have left?"  Could be easily rectified if the company did what I am always suggesting in management meetings.  That is to simply remove sick pay from all non-management personnel.
The number of lazy, feckless, workshy scroungers I have had to deal with over the years is scandalous. If people didn't get sick pay they wouldn't be off as much. It should only be a perk for managers who have put in the hard yards to get to where they are.

The trouble with Tesco is we are too damn soft. 

NightAndDay

I would love it if they did that, just to see how many would jump ship to the competition   :D :D :D

If it aids in Tesco go bankrupt I'm all for it.

lucgeo

Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 15-11-21, 07:47PM
Is it correct that your company sick pay resets on the anniversary of your join date? I was off for medical testing for a few days recently, less than a week but enough that I would have fallen into having some days as paid sick leave. When I asked about the SSP and why leaving early for the test after working three quarters of my shift was deducted, the reply was that I have run out of sick pay. But they also told me that sick pay resets on your joining anniversary. I haven't been off sick since early this year, and my join date was in the summer, so I'm just wondering which of the two conflicting statements I've been offered are correct?

Confusion like this around "how much sick pay do I have left?"  Could be easily rectified if the company did what I am always suggesting in management meetings.  That is to simply remove sick pay from all non-management personnel.
The number of lazy, feckless, workshy scroungers I have had to deal with over the years is scandalous. If people didn't get sick pay they wouldn't be off as much. It should only be a perk for managers who have put in the hard yards to get to where they are.

Eee...you tinker nowanexmanager...winding people up with those inflammatory comments. We know, and you know, that it is just to get us minions hackles up   :-[

Let's hope those other managers in these meetings, that endure listening to your suggestions, don't  actually burst out laughing in your face! Think you're losing it old boy...it's not the Victorian times now mate, " lazy, feckless, workshy scrounges" is very much the language of a very bygone age!

Think it's time you thought about hanging up your braces, loosening the garters and letting those britches feel the breeze!

Anyone thinking of taking your suggestions seriously, would quickly find they be managers in name only...perks of not actually having any teams ( that's what they're called now guvnor). I take your leave sir...( minion exits...bowing and doffing their cap, whilst walking backwards )

WAKE..WAKE..and you're back in the room  ;D ;D

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

renown

The number of lazy, feckless, workshy managers I have had to deal with over the years is scandalous.
Just about sums it up nicely :-)

Redshoes

Sick pay does reset on your annual start date. Check your latest contract if unsure but it can be found on the wages system. The wages clerk does not do anything other than put in a sick code to the system, the system generates a payment. Now on work and pay you can take a part day as holiday to cover for things like this. You don't have to but it's an option. You can also arrange to work time back.

Batmanjo

Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 15-11-21, 07:47PM

Interesting ?? Maybe you could get a position at the circus as I believe they were looking to hire a few clowns  :D or could it be you are still living in the dark ages remove sick pay with the exception of managers what next remove bonuses with the exception of managers  :D if only GA's did managers RTW you would be eating your own words, I suggest next time you are in a managerial meeting you take your head out of that bowl of soup and stop thing about your perks you should get and get some work done for the people who keep you in a job  :D

forrestgimp

I would be interested in a list of these 'Hard Yards' managers have done to deserve the things nowanexmanager would like to see implemented.

Nowanexmgr

They have worked many hours over and above their contract whilst they were only GAs. They have taken on extra responsibility above their strict pay grade whilst only GAs. They have done super Sundays for no pay in order to make their store better. These and a tonne of other extra duties.
In my long experience, over 90% of current managers started out as only GAs, but with a desire to get on and do well. That involved hard work and a willing attitude but they got their rewards.
Take me for example. When I took redundancy six years ago, I used to still come in to store on several Sundays to take part in super Sundays and support my old store. I would visit after my new job to mentor new managers and help them run the shift in the evenings. All without pay of course. It is one of the reasons I was able to come back on a significantly increased salary from what I was in ore redundancy, as well as my length
Of service restored to protect me from any future redundancy.

Hard work and discipline pays off. If people want to coast and do the minimum they can, but they'll never be more than just a GA I'm afraid.

I'm retiring in a few years and I shall miss it dreadfully.

lucgeo

I agree with the point you make, regarding Store Managers who have worked themselves up from GA's, making better managers, but in my experience they are probably in the minority, in my experience of 20+ years, I had the pleasure of only working with, and alongside, three!! I say alongside, as they were approachable, hard working and very much team players. One still manages an extra in a nearby town, and can always be seen, working the stock, rumbling, and hands on during busy times. Also known to ask other store managers, who 'phone at peak times, why they are wasting time talking on a 'phone, when they should be supporting their teams on the shop floor!

Perhaps in the past, a GA working over and above, was regarded and rewarded with promotion etc. However, this seems to no longer be the case, I am aware and have witnessed many GA' s who wish to progress now, are treated as 'go for's' by the management. A bit of a joke, dumped with everything no one else wants to do, and blamed for anything going wrong! The culture is one of use and abuse, rather than support and encourage! This would seem to be commonplace amongst many Tesco stores management, across the country, echoed by other VLH posters!

With regard you stating, that after leaving Tesco, as in no longer being a Tesco employee, you would still go in and support and run shifts?? How did that work then?? The implications, of having a non employee, not only doing unpaid work, but accessing secure areas, giving instructions to Tesco Staff, and perhaps even creating disciplinary procedures! All very suspect if challenged! Add to that you were not insured to be working there, so any unfortunate accident you had, or worse still caused, both you and the SM would have been thrown under the bus by Tesco!

NightAndDay

Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 20-11-21, 08:53AM

Hard work and discipline pays off. If people want to coast and do the minimum they can, but they'll never be more than just a GA I'm afraid.

Hard work at the right things, I agree with. Discipline and resilience are also handy. I definitely don't work hard in my office job, I probably do at most 3 hours of productive work in a 8.5 hour shift yet still get (so far) promotions every year.

Saying that though, the most valuable thing anyone can get from Tesco is resilience, that alone has set me apart from the others in my current role. And believe me, the amount of bullhonkey you have to put up from management at Tesco, that resilience will come quickly.

Nomad

@Nowanexmgr, I feel certain that your superiors would have had many good laughs at your expense.

"It is one of the reasons I was able to come back."
Of course it was they recognise the benefit of an unpaid workhorse when they see one.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

grim up north

I'm setting up a go fund me page to raise funds for a statue of Nowanexmanager I'm having commissioned. I'm sure head office will be in contact to make a generous donation, but if anyone else wants to chip in, feel free...

gomezz

Constructed from out of date food stuffs that are too rotten even to put in a food bank?   ;)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NightAndDay

Quote from: lucgeo on 20-11-21, 09:41AM
I agree with the point you make, regarding Store Managers who have worked themselves up from GA's, making better managers, but in my experience they are probably in the minority, in my experience of 20+ years, I had the pleasure of only working with, and alongside, three!! I say alongside, as they were approachable, hard working and very much team players. One still manages an extra in a nearby town, and can always be seen, working the stock, rumbling, and hands on during busy times. Also known to ask other store managers, who 'phone at peak times, why they are wasting time talking on a 'phone, when they should be supporting their teams on the shop floor!

Perhaps in the past, a GA working over and above, was regarded and rewarded with promotion etc. However, this seems to no longer be the case, I am aware and have witnessed many GA' s who wish to progress now, are treated as 'go for's' by the management. A bit of a joke, dumped with everything no one else wants to do, and blamed for anything going wrong! The culture is one of use and abuse, rather than support and encourage! This would seem to be commonplace amongst many Tesco stores management, across the country, echoed by other VLH posters!

With regard you stating, that after leaving Tesco, as in no longer being a Tesco employee, you would still go in and support and run shifts?? How did that work then?? The implications, of having a non employee, not only doing unpaid work, but accessing secure areas, giving instructions to Tesco Staff, and perhaps even creating disciplinary procedures! All very suspect if challenged! Add to that you were not insured to be working there, so any unfortunate accident you had, or worse still caused, both you and the SM would have been thrown under the bus by Tesco!
I disagree with the comment about managers who started as a GA bring better than degree holders, of the 9 SMs I had, none had a degree and only 1 was good. Though I can't comment about degree holders as I've never had a Tesco manager with a degree, odds are that it will be better tgan 1/9 occurences.

And I most certainly can discount the issue being with myself as I'm in a job that pays more than what an SM is paid, so because of that, tbe failings are with them.

forrestgimp

They have worked many hours over and above their contract whilst they were only GAs. They have taken on extra responsibility above their strict pay grade whilst only GAs. They have done super Sundays for no pay in order to make their store better. These and a tonne of other extra duties.
In my long experience, over 90% of current managers started out as only GAs, but with a desire to get on and do well. That involved hard work and a willing attitude but they got their rewards.
Take me for example. When I took redundancy six years ago, I used to still come in to store on several Sundays to take part in super Sundays and support my old store. I would visit after my new job to mentor new managers and help them run the shift in the evenings. All without pay of course. It is one of the reasons I was able to come back on a significantly increased salary from what I was in ore redundancy, as well as my length
Of service restored to protect me from any future redundancy.

I'm retiring in a few years and I shall miss it dreadfully.

So you think working for free, doing 20, 30 or more hours a week makes you a good maanger do you.

;D as for hard work getting you there, tell that to the people who do all that and get no where simply because their face does not fit.

Sorry mate but you are delusional.

You clearly havn't been in my store then. The managers see it as beneath them to put stock out and will leave star lines empty until you arrive for your shift 2 hours later. Then moan at you for not having star lines on sale all day. None of them work hard, it's all about who can BS their way to the top and step on as many others as you can. The whole store is toxic and everyone is for them self instead of the team. The odd manager that worked hard and supported their colleagues either left because they didn't agree with how things were run or were managed out/ moved to another store.

RocketRonnie100

@5050 unfortunately this is how it works now and I couldn't agree with you more.

Totot

Make me wonder what degree and what majoring needed for tesco management? Or business experience even.
Or what the management skills standard for management even. What I have found mostly just ocd-ness, subjective taste, easy money attitude, check the checklist.

And wonder what a good manager in tesco book anyway.

forrestgimp

Its not the degree you have its the fact you have one and have shown the ability to study for one and pass it with minimal input from anyone.

Its not like school or college where you have a teacher looking over you for the duration you are given tasks and expected to research it and hand in a body of work on your own or with a small group.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Totot on 22-11-21, 08:29AM
Make me wonder what degree and what majoring needed for tesco management? Or business experience even.
Or what the management skills standard for management even. What I have found mostly just ocd-ness, subjective taste, easy money attitude, check the checklist.

And wonder what a good manager in tesco book anyway.

The reality is that "Tesco Management" is a trumped up term. To be fair to the managers though, they're given Mickey Mouse budgets from head office and an unsustainable rate of staff turnover, things which are mostly out of their control due to the nature of Retail and how uncompetitive Tesco are in terms of hourly paid compensation. Because of this, those that want to stay in the position or get higher up have to resort to cowboy antics to make the numbers look good, usually at the expense of breaking a multitude of employment and health and safety laws.

Tesco management, regardless of the role isn't the same as management roles in companies where the business analysis requirements are done properly. Any schmuck can hold the title of "manager" at Tesco, but the reality of what they do is little more than being exploited for a lower manager salary to profiteer to the max. In other places, Managers have greater autonomy, financial acumen and actual management skills are put to better use and have a stronger requirement, while Tesco Managers more often than not are restricted on proper innovation and have to "Toe the line".

Nomad

[admin]This has strayed a very long way away from original topic.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Steveo79

Hi there I was off for 3 months and has 2 wellness meetings in that time, all went OK. I'm back to work now and after the welcome back meeting I had a letter for an ARM , but the day of the meeting they told me it was cancelled as they hadn't got anyone to cover my shift (dotcom driver). Its been 10 days since I've returned to work now and I've yet to receive another letter for the meeting, does anyone know if they can still go ahead with the meeting as it's been longer than the 8 days since I've returned.. Thanks

William

I I think they have only got seven days to do it

lucgeo

@Steveo79

It's 8 days, longer than that it has to be agreed by both parties to delay, not for them to dictate.

Say nowt, wait until they actually arrange the ARM, wait 'till the note taker starts taking notes, then state "out of process" delay was not sought for agreement by you for any postponement. Do not go in alone, take a rep, or trusted colleague if non union member. If they say no one available to accompany you, ask for adjournment until there is.

I seem to recall that there is an agreed timeframe for postponement meetings, I'm thinking it's 14 days, but happy to be corrected by those who know different

lucgeo

Adding to the above, I also seem to recall that any postponement delay should be due to holiday or sickness only. Not because of dept cover  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk