News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:16AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

DotCom Shift Change Trials

Started by helpme, 16-06-19, 05:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helpme

Quote from: fatboy on 11-08-19, 06:53PM
The driver premium payment is being increased from September.
Still going to be behind what a shop floor worker in all the other big four supermarkets is being paid.....

helpme

What they seem to forget is that people have lives away from Tesco and do shifts which fit into that pattern. Are they going to expect us to drop everything and change our lives all around just to fit in with what they want?

fatboy

Of course they are, we're talking Tesco here. They no longer care about personal life just themselves.

rogerthedodger

All very cloak n dagger? Still nothing confirmed anywhere any ideas people.

gollyg

If you can have a look at Ourtesco for latest updates. Should find meeting summary for meeting one. Or try www.OurTesco.com/people-changes/stores/latest updates.

Main points are :- Trailing the introduction of a 44 hour 4 day rolling week shift pattern for drivers. (I think this should be trialling !)
                           Pilot in 4 stores - Bedworth, Coventry Arena, Solihull and Basildon.

New driver schedules will enable colleagues to be more flexible and have longer hours. Ability to do 44 hour
                           contract on rolling rota.
Any ideas what  " 44 hour 4 day rolling week shift pattern"  or  "44 hour rolling rota" means ?

rogerthedodger

Apparently a meeting is taking place down south regarding optimisation and hours this week!

lucgeo

Quote from: gollyg on 19-08-19, 01:48PM
If you can have a look at Ourtesco for latest updates. Should find meeting summary for meeting one. Or try www.OurTesco.com/people-changes/stores/latest updates.

Main points are :- Trailing the introduction of a 44 hour 4 day rolling week shift pattern for drivers. (I think this should be trialling !)
                           Pilot in 4 stores - Bedworth, Coventry Arena, Solihull and Basildon.

New driver schedules will enable colleagues to be more flexible and have longer hours. Ability to do 44 hour
                           contract on rolling rota.
Any ideas what  " 44 hour 4 day rolling week shift pattern"  or  "44 hour rolling rota" means ?

I would imagine that 44 hour rolling week, rolling rota would mean 4 days on, 4 days off? So it would be Monday-Thursday working, Friday - Monday off, Tuesday- Friday working, Saturday- Tuesday off etc...which in principle would only work if drivers were happy to work Sundays? But if they choose to opt out of Sunday working, then it's stuffed ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

rogerthedodger

I'd imagine the jobs the job

fatboy

Even if drivers opt out of sunday working, they would still need to be available 8am to 10pm monday to Saturday as working days would be constantly changing. Cant see that happening, at least not the drivers in my store. As lots of drivers work part time hours around other jobs/commitments.

I'd love to know how the company expects to implement rolling rotas for drivers. One of the first things to be checked and amended during the ongoing Data Cleanse was that no colleagues were on a rolling rota on the HRAM system. All colleagues on a rolling rota had to be given a set pattern and then amendments put in each week for any changes.

lucgeo

Left hand not knowing what the right is doing...TESCO.....now I know what ya all thinking, but keep it clean please  ;)

rogerthedodger

The more speculation the less information never known anything so cloak n dagger. If it's on trial in store can't imagine not 1 driver has mentioned it

Villager No.6

Lucgeo
Rolling 44hr contract explained in post 53. (In any one week 4 on 8am - 8pm 1hr break, 3 off) A friend of mine works in one of the four trial stores and has confirmed it.
Fixed contract they've been told will be made up of at least two 9am - 10pm shifts (with two 1hr breaks) and either a Saturday 9am - 5pm or Sunday 9am - 3pm. The shorter hrs on Saturday only if you're not contracted to do it as a full day ie 9-10.

There are fewer rolling contracts available than fixed, rolling will be given to the "best" drivers (driving record/availability/fewest disciplineries etc) in the event more opt for rolling over fixed and fixed offered to the others.

And it's not actually a trial, it's a pilot. It will roll out to all stores soon.

blueberet

The meeting notes on our tesco are hilarious;

Turnover of drivers has increased over the past couple of years, which in turn means recruitment, and training of drivers has increased.
? Introduce a new customer delivery driver shift structure to improve retention and increase flexibility.

I can only see turnover increasing with the new shift structure they've got planned. Turnover has increased because they are pushing drivers to the limit and the joke that is bumblebee not because the shift pattern doesn't work.

In meeting notes 2 it appears they are trying to increase our notice period to 4 weeks but usdaw have rejected it.

I think it's time to start looking for another job.

sonic8610

I'm intrigued to see how it works in stores that don't start Sunday runs till 1 o'clock, plus how it affects all part-time colleagues - students, those with a second job. That will cause a massive headache for many.

lucgeo

@villager No 6

Thanks for that...having read it, why they just can't give people 3 days off in a row, which I'm sure most would prefer.
If they are automatically opted in for Sunday working, and those that don't want to work Sunday's can't be considered, there's still nothing to stop them opting out further down the line...what happens then??

baldeagle

I,am not sure that drivers are covered by the Sunday opt out!

des

Will be looking for another job

driverdave

Quote from: baldeagle on 22-08-19, 10:07AM
I,am not sure that drivers are covered by the Sunday opt out!

They are.

lucgeo

Everyone can opt out, it's a legal right.

baldeagle

Legal Q&A: Sunday working
By Joanna Dodd on 16 Sep 2013 in Employment law, Equality & diversity, Religion, Legal Q&A, Employment contracts, Working Time Regulations

Joanna Dodd, senior associate at Clarion, answers employers' questions on the law relating to Sunday working.

Can I make my employees work on Sundays?

In most industries, the answer is yes – as long as it is written into the employees' employment contracts. However, special rules apply to employees who work in shops and betting shops. They have a right to opt out of Sunday working by giving their employer a signed and dated notice, which will take effect after three months. In addition, the retailers or betting businesses must inform their employees of their right to opt out.

lucgeo

Apologies, I should have included it was everyone's legal right "in retail"

gollyg

I note on the Sunday opt in/ opt out forms that only one months notice is required.

baldeagle

So I will go back to my original question. Is a driver a retail worker or a transport worker in this case.

fatboy

A driver working for a supermarket is classed as retail job.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk