News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

30-04-24, 07:56PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,435
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 302
Total: 303

Pay review 2023

Started by person7, 05-02-23, 02:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

Nothing changes does it, we used to get the don't think only about the wages as the benefits are worth another £1.50 per hour (one wonders how that figure was come up with) when filling in every voice matters, or viewpoint as it was once known. although it all seemed a bit pointless as every time we had all these fancy action plans drawn up based on the results did any of it ever happen, nope not a thing and 2 weeks later said plans would be taken down and chucked in the bin.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Voulezvous

Does anyone know when the next pay review is anyway? Im skint 😂

Teddybonkers

This is a minimum wage job - you're always gonna be skint. And don't think the next pay review is gonna change anything. Get a skill, trade or further education - that's the only way to improve your prospects mate :)

Nomad

Teddybonkers correct, if you want to get ahead get a skill.  Every time I try to get a tradesperson I hear "I'm booked up for the next few months", they don't have pay reviews they virtually name their own price.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Yep, getting a relevent skill is the way to go.

Quite frankly as long as Tesco pays a real living wage for their CAs there's nothing for people to moan about in that regard really. Expectations should be managed in how much they should expect to receive in such a role. Tesco is par the course for supermarket retailers in this regard.

Nomad

Were not talking 100-150 thousand a year but even with a fairly 'moderate' skill set 50-60 thousand a year is not unattainable.  Just don't expect it to be given to you, you have to put yourself out, learn it then earn it.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

FarmerFred

Get a Class 1 HGV licence and the world is your lobster - average pay is ~£35k for Class 1, but can be much higher depending on the type of work & hours. Main problem is getting the licence (~£3k if self funded) and a year or twos experience, best bet here is to look for firms advertising that they'll train you up - there's often a payback clause to stop you from getting the licence and jumping ship, but that year's experience is invaluable. I don't know if it's still running, but Tesco have operated apprenticeships near certain depots for driving where you get full pay whilst training etc. and a near guaranteed job at the end if you don't fail.

Nomad

Failing all else use what you were born with and get voted in as an MP  ;D  (-*-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SAMCRO

Just seen a poster at my local Aldi store. Not London.

Store Cleaners £11.30 per hour

Store Assistants £12.06 rising to £13.02 in year 4

Deputy Store Manager (Shift Leader)
£13.33 rising to £14.29 in year 4 PLUS an additional £4 per hour whilst running the store.

Tesco is a disgrace

madness

As much as the aldi expectations have severly died down from the earlier years 90% of Tesco staff couldn't hack Aldi or Lidl.

JJH

I think 90% is being generous  :D

penguin

Quote from: madness on 25-08-23, 08:41PMAs much as the aldi expectations have severly died down from the earlier years 90% of Tesco staff couldn't hack Aldi or Lidl.
I quite agree, we had a couple who went to a new Aldi a few years ago. Made a big song and dance about how amazing it was going to be getting paid more than at Tesco for and I quote "the same job like it is in every supermarket" less than a month later they were begging to come back and both had left Aldi within six months.

The other thing with Aldi is performance management is a much quicker process and more often used than at Tesco, if your not hitting targets you can be out in four weeks, and its no idle threat, plenty of stories online and social media about people who have been shown the door at Aldi for not hitting target.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Bobmay

I agree it is far better to have a skill which can increase your pay.If you go to college or university you can make much more money than from Tesco unless you want to try to become a manager.

NightAndDay

Quote from: madness on 25-08-23, 08:41PMAs much as the aldi expectations have severly died down from the earlier years 90% of Tesco staff couldn't hack Aldi or Lidl.
I think this was back when they offered significantly more back then in relation to what the big 4 pay, not sure how much more realistic the expectations are there now, but there's not a lot in it these days for the average Joe to take c**p for £1 extra an hour compared to a standard day at your normal supermarket.

FarmerFred

I frequent several local Aldi & Lidl stores & mostly see the same faces with a lesser number of others who come & go. That suggests that working there can't be that bad. The overall work pace does seem higher than at the big 4, but I do still see staff occasionally idling around having a gossip - although not to the extent seen at Tesco.

The one thing that does stand out is that you don't tend to see many staff older than mid 50s - I wonder if ambulance chasers Leigh Day will soon be gearing up for another discrimination case?

King1999

Just wondering with all this constant for little gain restructuring they would realise staff can only take so much and will naturally put the brakes on themselves.Nobody is paid to go above and beyond,they've devalued roles,lied about how long jobs take and generally have made it a miserable place to work.Work to your pay grade your only hours to them anyway.

whatajoke2019

Completely agree @ King1999.

Absolutely no incentive whatsoever these days to go above and beyond - you do what's asked of you then the SM/SD decides they are still in 1998 and want the store to be ran a certain way even though HO have 'simplified' that task/removed the hours and wonder why no one listens/acts on it  :D

King1999

Had quiet a few counts left to do today,my manager wanted me to help her put out new lines,no problem wasn't even asked what I had on that's the level of interest I get now so went home still said amount of counts to do.I've worked for the company for a long time I've never seen this level of apathy I've got to say.Future proof my backside this is a slippery slope the place is a shambolic joke.I'm guessing they think I should be managing myself nope I've still got a manager whose not interested,lead by example pathetic.

taliahad

Hello

Does anyone know why One Stop staff are paid less than Tesco staff?  it's the same company after all so why are one stop staff less valued than their Tesco Colleagues. 

NightAndDay

One Stop operates on the franchise model so is privately individually owned and partially funded by private owners, similar to arrangements in fast food restaurants ike McDonalds. The franchise owners don't typically have the deep pockets Tesco does as a company, so to operate in a viable manner the wage is lower.

fatlad

When do we all think the next pay review will take place and likely outcome??

eversor

Pay review is scheduled for January time, but won't take effect until Aprilish. No idea what it'll likely be

NightAndDay

Due to high inflation in the current year along with near record pay rises It's reasonable to expect the National Living Wage to go up by around 6% in April, the real living wage will update at the end of October, taking into account current core inflation being higher than overall inflation, I expect the real living wage will go up to £11.70 an hour outside of London and £12.85 inside of London, an increase of 80p and 90p in nominal terms or an increase of around 7%.

The national living wage increase won't be quite that high as they'll have to consider current interest rate impacts on businesses, but realistically 5-6% is probable, taking the new living wage to around between £11-£11.10 an hour or so next April.

Assuming Tesco maintains it's differential with the minimum wage, I reckon £11.60-£11.70, will be the new wage.

My last prediction at £11-£11.10 was pretty much on the nose, it is speculation at the end of the day, but all the factors considered makes my prediction more an educated guess rather than completely unfounded.

Bobmay

Quote from: NightAndDay on 27-09-23, 03:15PMDue to high inflation in the current year along with near record pay rises It's reasonable to expect the National Living Wage to go up by around 6% in April, the real living wage will update at the end of October, taking into account current core inflation being higher than overall inflation, I expect the real living wage will go up to £11.70 an hour outside of London and £12.85 inside of London, an increase of 80p and 90p in nominal terms or an increase of around 7%.

The national living wage increase won't be quite that high as they'll have to consider current interest rate impacts on businesses, but realistically 5-6% is probable, taking the new living wage to around between £11-£11.10 an hour or so next April.

Assuming Tesco maintains it's differential with the minimum wage, I reckon £11.60-£11.70, will be the new wage.

My last prediction at £11-£11.10 was pretty much on the nose, it is speculation at the end of the day, but all the factors considered makes my prediction more an educated guess rather than completely unfounded.
As with wage increase we expect cuts to jobs.I predict they will cut premiums like Sunday bank holidays etc. I also predict job cuts in terms of nights and some stores closing down. As a person who makes 14.30 an hour and 16 pound an hour on saturdsy night shif in london express store I dont see them increasing it by much maybe 2 pay increase the first by extra 40p an hour and second by 60p an hour later in the year.You have to remember Tesco has lost 1 billion in profit last year.

BritishRacingGreen

Today's doom and gloom forecast ^^^  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk