News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 306
Total: 311

New Inflexibility System

Started by gomezz, 23-10-21, 11:09AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

We have been moved onto this new system and wondering how other sites are coping with the inability to split runs and add extras to other runs?

We have had drivers takes out two Reaches but that only works if they are taking out the whole of two small runs and needs someone else to be "allocated" the run and sign in to download it.  Not best IT practise to allow the driver to use a Reach under someone else's name.

My thought was to do the extras on paper and the shift runner / Duty Manager sorts out signing off the deliveries with any refunds on a Reach when all drivers with any of the extras have returned.

Mind that was my second thought.  My first thought is unbroadcastable in polite company that they could go live with this with such basic functionality missing.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

horatiocain

There should be 1 manifest and that's it.
If you are pulled over and ask to present the information for your load how do you think it will go if the manifest doesn't match what you're carrying.
This should have been made clear in training but I know it isn't.

Extra drops should be plotted on and a new maninfest printed  but given that having worked with well over 59 delivery agers now  not a single 1 knew how to do it.
So there is the rub.

Refuse these extra drops and take them off the van  anything else isn't following your training and the slippery shoulders of Tesco will make you take all the blame should anything go wrong, protect yourselves.

Stand your ground, use the union  if you have any good reps, fight back using their own rules

gomezz

As long as you have manifest info that accounts for all the load then you are OK.  In this case it could mean the original manifest with the manifest info from the extras stapled to it which show the weights of each delivery.

Unless someone knows different?

horatiocain

It'd a legal requirement to have a single document detailing exactly the weights on the good on the vehicle being transported.
It should also lay out how it's been loaded, its how the system ensures that we don't put a wheel or axle overweight while remaining within the MAM.
It's why nothing should go on the van that isn't factored into the manifest, and it's a drivers offence  not a commercial one meaning you as the driver get the scale 3 fine.
There is a legal requirement to be able to show this.

If they want to actually merge manifests they can, but good luck finding a manager who can do it  its actually easy, an inspector should be able to read the manifest and know what you're carrying where, so if for example you had something you are not allowed to deliver they can isolate and track it quickly, it a requirement under the 1988 Road traffic act.
And we all know how little Tesco know about the road traffic act  what with the mass breaking of it for decades.

gomezz

That is the point though.  The new system does not have the functionality to move orders and merge manifests which the old system allowed you to do.

Does the law stipulate that the single document must be produced by computer or does it allow for the old-fashioned physical cut and paste way to produced a single document.

horatiocain

The problem is that the van must be loaded in the same order the manifest presents, and it's only required to be a single document  so in theory someone could put a new manifest together manually, but all weights and goods must be represented on the manifest.
We have several test locations near my store and their first question is always to see the log book and manifest.

The system has always allowed the runs it produces to be rejected and resorted, normally this is done when splitting runs into fewer vans  however it can also be used to split into more vans or the add unrated drops onto existing runs.
Its simply a matter of returning everything to the routing and telling it to produce a single van trip  the problem is if that's not possible the system will refuse, when that happens it means Tesco have taken an order it cannot meet within its own programming for routing.
What should happen is the manager should then step forward and take the extra drops out  but good luck seeing that.

gomezz

Quote from: horatiocain on 26-10-21, 10:19PMIts simply a matter of returning everything to the routing and telling it to produce a single van trip
Are you saying that is something you can do with the new system?

horatiocain

Yep, they do it at my store and my sisters, and they're half a country away.

Shropshire Lad

Yep, been adding extra drops to runs regularly at our store too due to drivers sickness and leaving.  Recently had a run of 9 drops over 80 miles and had 4 extra ones added, the closest one of which was 17 minutes further out than my last drop that was already 30 miles from store, the other 3 were further out still so the only way it could be done would be to work past my contracted hours.

Needless to say the extra ones came back to store.  Despite me saying it would not be possible to do within the time frame allotted, no-one listened and I was just told to "do what you can". 

The result - at best customers getting a delivery of food the following day at some point that had sat in trays in the back of Dotcom overnight.

Villager No.6

Quote from: horatiocain on 25-10-21, 11:14PM
It's why nothing should go on the van that isn't factored into the manifest, and it's a drivers offence  not a commercial one meaning you as the driver get the scale 3 fine.
There is a legal requirement to be able to show this.

Does this mean anything that goes on the van or only for customer's orders? We're quite often asked to drop off or pick up stock or advertising material to/from another store whilst delivering (never over weight) by managers with only "Tell them it's for X or Ask for X and they'll give you ..... to bring back" No paperwork.

Jellypot

I for one would like to know the legality of taking these extras out, every damn day just lately

breadbaconandbeans

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

you should never do this as you have no idea of how much weight you are carrying and if you got sent to the local weighbridge YOU are responsible for your van I think.

breadbaconandbeans

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]
If your return time says 9.45 or 10.45 and you deliver to everyone in the timeslot and no early deliveries it is not possible to take anymore as we were told no more early deliveries. Clock in bang on 6pm or 7pm or whatever and go out at 6.15pm or 7.15 etc and refuse to take anything extra as no time.

rebel123

Have been doing dot com driver for 15 years and the routing system is biggest piece of c**p going it isn't rocket science to evenly split vans also go by weight aswell people beginning to get upset off some going out with 5or 6 drops others going out with 15 or 17 drops and at night most late vans back before early fans system is pish

willie2018

Quote from: horatiocain on 25-10-21, 11:14PMwe all know how little Tesco know about the road traffic act  what with the mass breaking of it for decades.

having some issues at work regarding this have you a link to information as looked at the 1988 act and i cant see anything and would be handy for when they pull me in

dotcomdriver73

Not sure if its been said but if any extra orders are put onto a van then van should be what's called Z run where as it moves the orders from van not going out onto van that is.

This process then means new manifest printed so the new weight is present and then all orders are on one SDS

The Z run should then place the extra orders into a some what new sequence for delivery saving driver time from customer to customer

Waco kid

I just refuse if no paperwork they have stopped asking me. Plenty others quite happy to deliver them  🤡🤡

BlueToon

If I remember correctly, the Bronze training states that we are only to deliver to the address on the manifest (reach/SDS).
The system does allow extras to be added so that they are on reach, however, I believe it brings up a warning if it is going to affect the timings for the original run.
If the system thinks that it is not possible to add to an existing run due to timings or weights, it does not normally allow you to add extras to it.
If MM complain that their KPI's are not good, my reply would point out that it is their own fault for frequently adding extras to existing runs.
All anyone is doing by accepting extra drops, is allowing a problem to be covered up so that higher MM do not see it.
I refuse (as per my training) to take extras UNLESS they are added to the manifest & on my SDS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk