News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:36AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 292
Total: 294

Ocado

Started by Modena, 19-10-21, 06:14AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modena

Just seen ocado are now paying drivers £12.40 a hour going up to £19 for late shifts on weekends,  four of our drivers have applied already and I am thinking the same, I wondered what people feel will tesco respond to this ?

Modena

Just to add to that they are also giving a £500 bonus for joining.

NightAndDay

It's very much an employees market at the moment, if they aren't being competitive, it will just lead to recruitment and retainment issues. The size of Tescos business will be a buffer in the short term but not for long. They will eventually have to raise rates to be competitive.

lordadmiral

Do not know how much more it is but go for it if its atleast 1.5 more per hour.

horatiocain

The working conditions are so much better.
It's not a fixed rota, which is the only good thing about Tesco  but the newer managers want this to change so soon enough the only good thing will be gone.

fscer

Tesco have dug their own grave here. What do Tesco offer now, odd shift patterns. Min hours flexed up when it suits them. No cantina serving hot food, the list goes on.

Modena

So what do we do as drivers, talk to the union rep tell him we are not happy with the pay compared to ocado, it's the drivers especially in London who have suffered the most getting a 80p rise 3 years ago only to have the market supplement taken away so that ended up being a 8 p rise.

baldeagle

Given the way pay talks in distribution are going ,I would not hold my breath waiting for an above inflation pay rise.

Modena

Ok so 10 of us have approached our union rep at our store so not sure how many members are with vlh but if we all complain to our reps surely they have to listen.

baldeagle

Distribution is better organised and are threatening industrial action on the run up to Christmas. It would take a lot of home delivery drivers to threaten the same for Tesco to listen. Personally I would go to Ocado.

Modena

That is my point if everyone today goes to there rep and complains today like we have that's a lot of drivers.

Kg601361

Does anybody know the current hourly rate for a dot com driver in the North of England? Trying to compare to Ocada.

fatboy

£10.23 established rate.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Kg601361 on 23-10-21, 03:45PM
Does anybody know the current hourly rate for a dot com driver in the North of England? Trying to compare to Ocada.

I thought Tesco only pays location pay on  home counties rate, London Rate and everywhere else, meaning if you don't work in the South East, you're going to get the best rate in terms of cost of living.

Where I live where a studio flat costs on average £4,000 a month to rent (Not in London, it's one of the few areas in England that's considered more expensive). The Tesco Expresses in my area don't pay location pay, but the superstore does. The Express stores unsurprisingly have massive staff retention issues and a high turnover of SMs, most if them travel a good hour or 2 to get to these stores.

Modena

One of our drivers who worked as a manager in London said that years ago when  tesco were losing staff to the airport they upped the pay to try and retain people, so in light of ocado raising there rate to £12.40 a hour  it shows they can do it if they want to.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk