News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:15PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Van Data

Started by helpme, 12-10-21, 01:46PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helpme

In our store lately there have been a massive increase in let's talks by duty managers over petty things like being parked in a lay by for 10/15 minutes due to getting ahead on deliveries.
All these different managers are checking van data but are they allowed to?
Surely like everything else as it's data it's protected under The Data Protection Act and access to it is restricted?

NightAndDay

Managers need all the drivers they can get in the current economic climate, driving them away with lets talks would be like the turkeys voting for christmas I would have thought.

helpme

Oh they are!
They are trying to put us in our place as we're refusing to do extras in the evenings as we rarely have the time to do them and they're expecting us to just work overtime and get them done. No asking just demanding so it's gone down like a lead balloon.
That's why I'm asking about who is actually entitled to have access to our van data.

gomezz

Only if the company has not registered usage of the van data for the purpose described.

Given the alternative to parking up is delivering early which has been a recent issue at our place it is a Catch 22 situation.  What are they suggesting you do instead which would be acceptable to them?

As for extras, if you run out of time then bring them back and dump the problem on the Duty Manager to deal with, clock out and forget about it.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

helpme

It came out this morning that it's the lead Dot com manager sitting at home on their personal laptop/phone logging in and checking up on the drivers.
Apart from being a sad thing to do surly this can't be right? Using it for performance checking rather than safety.

BlueToon

Quote from: helpme on 13-10-21, 08:42PM
the lead Dot com manager sitting at home............
checking up on the drivers.

There is a distinction to be made between monitoring the van, and actively monitoring the driver.
The former is legal.
The latter risks breaching GDPR, as the system was not introduced for that purpose.
I have yet to see a clear policy on the use of the personal data collected by the tracking system.

baldeagle

Helpme .If the manager is using his or her personal computer then it is breach of data protection and should be raised with  the store manager. Ask for the Company policy on monitoring driver performance. It would appear that this is bullying. Next time you or others are asked to have a lets talk the reply should be. Put it in writing so I take it further.

Voiceofreason

I think your argument might be flawed as you've said about not being able to to do an extra in the evening as you don't have the time when you've already previously said that let's talks are being issued for parking up when ahead during the day? Surely it's busier and harder to get ahead in the daytime when the roads are busier and people are more likely to be out than it is in the evening when most people are home so roads would automatically be quieter? Also surely the Duty manager would have access to the system as they would be in charge of the store so would require access to all data available?

Are the driver that are getting let's talks for parking up doing it when on the way back to store and effectively just hiding to avoid work or are they waiting for a customer that isn't in as I can't imagine it would stand up if they are getting a let's talk for waiting for a customer to arrive for there designated time slot.

helpme

Quote from: Voiceofreason on 14-10-21, 07:21PM
I think your argument might be flawed as you've said about not being able to to do an extra in the evening as you don't have the time when you've already previously said that let's talks are being issued for parking up when ahead during the day?

Two different evening shifts. We have a lack of evening drivers and when you already have 15 drops and they want to give you5/6 more they are not going to be done.

gomezz

First thing to check is that the extras do not take the van overweight.  They should all be on a single manifest showing the total weight which is your legal protection if pulled.

Once had our store-bound (ie non driver) shift runner try to give us all extras but the computer would not let them move them to the routes as they would takes the vans over.  The extras got left behind with a stern note to not be so bloody stupid next time.

horatiocain

You cannot be punished at all for refusing to deliver early, Tesco formal policy is we deliver on time or late only, early deliveries CAN result in formal performance management.

If you are ahead the correct policy procedure is to stop and wait.
Always ask the same question in these circumstances  show me that in policy.
If they can't show you the policy it doesn't exist  if they proceed file a grievance and complain.

As for extra drop, demand they're on the manifest incase you are pulled over and inspected  rats the Legal requirement  be aware of the vehicles weight and whenever you're within 100kg of full be careful if you have extra drops  because it may take you axle overweight if you do get pulled.
Remember to confirm with your driving hours, and tell any manager they are ALSO liable to a large fine if you get pulled when they say something.

Modena

Let's all leave to £12.40p a hour ocado, £16 to £19 for overtime,  you don't load your own van, when you finish you get paid for it and go home, Let's go.It seems the managers are getting more petty every day I got pulled up the other day for being in the canteen at 17.55.

breadbaconandbeans

Hi has anyone logged onto infinity when you have a gap and pulled in a layby and looked at their afternoon route to find the named houses on google maps etc and now suddenly it is not possible to see it on infinity? Stopped working last night. Have been able to view the routes until then. I am a new driver so this was a bonus to plan my afternoon or evening route and now can only see van loading sheet and van control sheet on infinity

breadbaconandbeans

Also our team 5s everyday now are NO delivering early. So if you know for a fact you will get stuck in traffic or the next customer is in a flat and going to take ages you still cannot deliver it early? Sit and wait till the timeslot but then if you sit and wait with the engine running you get a driving idling penalty but if you turn off the engine the frozen defrosts if doing city runs when van on and off every 5 mins and then you refund ice cream etc. How can you win?!

All that will happen if every single driver sticks to the rule is we will all deliver in order with no early deliveries and not have time to unload, filll up, sit in traffic and never take any extras if due back at 5.45. 6.45 pm etc.

fatlad

Tesco's own policy states that you can deliver upto 1 hour early provided you contact the customer before going to make sure they are happy for you to deliver early. Take no notice of the team 5 as someone is trying to bulls**t you. If you still deliver early & get pulled for it just ask them to go check their own policy.

breadbaconandbeans

Team leader said it has come from the manager that we cannot deliver early and we have to press finish on the sds outside the front door and the sds knows you are outside the address and not 3 miles down the road. Just started driving so was delivering the odd one early as i do not know where the house names are and copilot does not find them but now i have to waste time siting outside someones until the timeslot and then get stuck in traffic etc then struggle to find the housenames.

gomezz

You don't press Finish until you have got back to the van, put the empties away, closed the shutters and got back in the cab.  Otherwise it is not properly measuring the full time taken to do the delivery.

Similarly do not Return the trip until you have removed the empties and done the put backs.

horatiocain

You should pust arrived when you turn off the engine to deliver  and push finished just before you turn the ignition back on, its how the automated system calculates difficult delivery times, if the managers don't override it.
I never deliver early because there's nothing in it for me, company policy is just fine, but in my training it was deliver on time or late, never early, I'm sticking to that.

breadbaconandbeans

Yes we have been told no earlys but hard when say you have 1 6 o'clock er a long way from store and its a flat with lots of trays and you also have to sit in rush hour traffic and fill up with diesel and then unload and load. getting hard to fit it all in

gomezz

Let the dot com or duty manager know if you are likely not to be back in time to unload / load, get back, do what you can then clock out on time at the end of your scheduled shift.  You can save five minutes by refuelling as you go out for your afternoon run, time which is usually easily made up over the course of an afternoon before you hit the time constraints of the final hour.   If it is a large, difficult delivery then turn up well early timing it so you tap Finish as you get back in the van on the hour.

horatiocain

Here's the thing  don't do those things if you don't have time.
Work to your contracted hours, it's the only way they will learn to adjust correctly, otherwise your actually making your own job harder because the extra work becomes expected.

Your managers job is to ensure your route is actually achievable.

gomezz

Quote from: breadbaconandbeans on 03-02-22, 08:07PM
Hi has anyone logged onto infinity when you have a gap and pulled in a layby and looked at their afternoon route to find the named houses on google maps etc and now suddenly it is not possible to see it on infinity? Stopped working last night. Have been able to view the routes until then. I am a new driver so this was a bonus to plan my afternoon or evening route and now can only see van loading sheet and van control sheet on infinity
Yes.  I had got into the habit of looking ahead for any addresses unknown to me so that I could check out their location by using the Infinity app.  However, it does not surprise me they pulled that infro from the app as it did constitute something of a GDPR issues.  You can still see the list of postcodes via the Schedule tab but that doesn't help of course with looking for house names in villages.

johnven

Use this Web site for any UK address https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/search pretty good.

gomezz

Or use this web site

https://maptest.devon.gov.uk/portaldvl/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=82d17ce243be4ab28091ae1f15970924

which lets you browse by eye all house name within the area of interest such as postcode area which is useful when the house name is recorded differently to what is on the delivery address.

breadbaconandbeans

Quote from: gomezz on 06-02-22, 12:57PM
Quote from: breadbaconandbeans on 03-02-22, 08:07PM
Yes.  I had got into the habit of looking ahead for any addresses unknown to me so that I could check out their location by using the Infinity app.  However, it does not surprise me they pulled that infro from the app as it did constitute something of a GDPR issues.  You can still see the list of postcodes via the Schedule tab but that doesn't help of course with looking for house names in villages.

Very this is exactly what i did. Brought up the route on my home pc and went on map viewer. google maps, bing maps etc to find everywere and suddenly we cannot see it which is a pain. I use the local .gov highways map similar to that that shows housenames.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk