News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

26-04-24, 11:34AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: BB41
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,417
  • Total Topics: 639
  • Online today: 746
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 494
Total: 495

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_houdini

I'm a manager with 13 years service and I'm at the point where my motivation has gone. Is there an official date for option to step down and pay out  ends? Also i know if you take the payout and then leave they will try and take money back off you but if I were to step down to shift leader, take pay outs then in three months step down to part time shift leader then in 12 months step down to GA? Is that possible without being asked for money back.
Thanks in advance

Redshoes

The team leader were told 18 months, if left before the 18 months they had to pay back the balance.

However, the manager structure change is a soft structure, until we are told differently. No pay out for stepping down or leaving. It's optional but with no lump sum to compensate.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: Harry_houdini on 08-10-21, 08:22AM
I'm a manager with 13 years service and I'm at the point where my motivation has gone. Is there an official date for option to step down and pay out  ends? Also i know if you take the payout and then leave they will try and take money back off you but if I were to step down to shift leader, take pay outs then in three months step down to part time shift leader then in 12 months step down to GA? Is that possible without being asked for money back.
Thanks in advance

A manager aspiring to be a GA  ;D

lordadmiral

Thanks in advance

I think it would be 6 months time before you can step down/reduce hours. At least I had that number in my letter when I had to step down few years ago.

NightAndDay

Express format is suffering a massive shortage of Shift Leaders atm, 60% of SMs in group 802 are doing duty shifts due to said shortages. The position seems to suffer chronic shortages in waves. With the added impact of inflation and the acknowledgement from head office that only Express Format Shift Leaders can sometimes not take their breaks (as proven by the section in tbe S&L handbook). I see a structural change coming in the next few months to deal with this unsustainable part of the business.

VladPutin

Quote from: Tesla on 08-10-21, 09:15PM
Thanks in advance

A manager aspiring to be a GA  ;D

He'll have to be trained in a range of new skills. Like actually tipping a wagon instead of disappearing and leaving it to the backdoor man and which ever GA's can be grabbed off the shop floor :D

BUY TESLA STOCK

Training  ;D

Last time a manager was to get trained in my place they turned up for a few minutes then found themselves something allegedly more important to do leaving the colleagues to struggle once again.

Dooby27

How comes a certain company does not release a press statement when they made people partners redundant.

VladPutin

Maybe even Tesco itself couldn't figure out exactly what it was, "people partners" were supposed to do.  ;D :D

Mug

Quote from: Donk180 on 05-10-21, 11:59AM
Is there any managers on here that are on the new structure with shift leads? In our store we're in this awkward stage where we're not quite at the 4 managers needed to operate at the new structure but also don't have shift leads. I have just inherited all of the fresh areas in a store that takes 700k a week with no shift leads and to be honest it's unbearable and I'm hardly scratching the surface to what's expected but feel I have been set up to fail. Basically does it improve when shift leads support? Work life balance seems impossible at this point

I'm not sure anyone has reached that stage yet. We're supposed to drop from 6 to 3 managers with 4 SL. 1 manager was forced to move to another store before this was launched "as a preventative measure and job security" but still faces the same fate in the new store. We are down to 4 managers, 1 permanent SL & 1 step up. The work load is still ridiculous, it's fighting fire with staff vacancies, sickness & other things. I feel the same that we've been set up to fail. I don't think any of us have performed the "manager" role this year and fully expect missed reviews all round, only strengthening our SM's review that they're "coaching and managing" us. It's all bull. I'm even at the point of leaving or stepping down purely so the remaining SL's can be hired to take the pressure off the others, but I'm not sure it will

whatajoke2019

Just being nosey on T0sc0 Careers and there are 80 odd TM vacancies online - for a company that's trying to 'reduce' the number of TMs in store it feels, as ever, somewhat contradictory  ;D.

NightAndDay

The 80 will probably be very recent resignations due to mid-structure change ridiculous workload. Until the structure change is complete, those vacancies will keep turning over like Benito Mussolini in WW2.

madness

Quote from: Mug on 20-10-21, 10:21AM
Quote from: Donk180 on 05-10-21, 11:59AM
Is there any managers on here that are on the new structure with shift leads? In our store we're in this awkward stage where we're not quite at the 4 managers needed to operate at the new structure but also don't have shift leads. I have just inherited all of the fresh areas in a store that takes 700k a week with no shift leads and to be honest it's unbearable and I'm hardly scratching the surface to what's expected but feel I have been set up to fail. Basically does it improve when shift leads support? Work life balance seems impossible at this point

I'm not sure anyone has reached that stage yet. We're supposed to drop from 6 to 3 managers with 4 SL. 1 manager was forced to move to another store before this was launched "as a preventative measure and job security" but still faces the same fate in the new store. We are down to 4 managers, 1 permanent SL & 1 step up. The work load is still ridiculous, it's fighting fire with staff vacancies, sickness & other things. I feel the same that we've been set up to fail. I don't think any of us have performed the "manager" role this year and fully expect missed reviews all round, only strengthening our SM's review that they're "coaching and managing" us. It's all bull. I'm even at the point of leaving or stepping down purely so the remaining SL's can be hired to take the pressure off the others, but I'm not sure it will

It works and works well if you multi skill your team and you have full managers and shift lead. If there is one or 2 vacancies in the management team though you are screwed as theres alot of work to do for both different roles.

Redshoes

The jobs go online automatically. In the local group they may move people about but there may be some who might be considering a move to another area and are watching out for jobs. Of the roles that are left there are some roles that will need to retain a manager. If the front end manager retires for example, this role will need to be filled. It does not automatically go to another manager in that store. I suspect sometimes it might but it should be advertised for all potentially displaced managers to apply. That makes it fair to all. Where it may not be advertised is if there are three fresh managers and one leaves but the structure says just one going forward.
The jobs online may already have applicants from that same store or local area. It should however be open to all but in reality if the sm is under pressure to reduce his manager head count he may interview but select someone from his own store. It would be hard to prove that that one person was not the best applicant.

Geo12a

Are there any other team managers that are digging their heels in about being forced to pick up another department? I'm starting 4 weeks informal process due to refusing to pick up a second department for multiple reasons but have been told if I don't take the role on, step down or leave I will face disciplinary and potential dismissal. I'll take legal advice but curious if anyone has gone/going through this?

Profit before people should be the new company motto!

NightAndDay

Picking up a new department would be a material change to your job description, unless thry promote you into a new role, they can't add unreasonable duties to your role, i.e giving more accountabilities and responsibilities of an extra department without a change in title or pay.

They can't claim it's an expectation when your role as a TM compared to other TMs of the same title and grade has more or less responsibilities (why should a TM in one store only have to manage 1 department, but you have to manage another, one being the same department plus 1 extra and be threatened by performance management?)

BUY TESLA STOCK

They can it's a reasonable request of the SM

Geo12a

The whole process wasn't dealt with back in March with us only being given the new team manager role packs, no one to one discussions took place then and its only now that it's gone to informal 4 wk process which doesn't feel right. I know many managers sit in governance currently for not wanting to move store/pick up extra departments like me, trying to find out clarity if and why refusing this could lead to dismissal?

NightAndDay

Quote from: Tesla on 04-11-21, 11:30AM

A judge wouldn't see it that way, they'd ask what the roles of managing another department would entail and deem it unreasonable on the premise that the the activities can't be completed on a 36 hour contract, add to the fact that it previously required 2 TMs to fulfil what is now expected of 1 TM.

King1999

Not being funny nothing is a reasonable request in tosco..... it just comes down to bullying tactics.Do what I've started doing grievance all the extra jobs they expect you to do that the head office monkeys give you 10 minutes to complete.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: NightAndDay on 04-11-21, 12:27PM
Quote from: Tesla on 04-11-21, 11:30AM

A judge wouldn't see it that way, they'd ask what the roles of managing another department would entail and deem it unreasonable on the premise that the the activities can't be completed on a 36 hour contract, add to the fact that it previously required 2 TMs to fulfil what is now expected of 1 TM.

Excuses excuses

Davethebave

Hmmmmm

As a team manager, all I've been told (in almost a year) is that our titles would change, nothing else. Seems like their is more to this then? An actual process that the company is now planning on following?

madness

Quote from: Geo12a on 04-11-21, 09:33AM
Are there any other team managers that are digging their heels in about being forced to pick up another department? I'm starting 4 weeks informal process due to refusing to pick up a second department for multiple reasons but have been told if I don't take the role on, step down or leave I will face disciplinary and potential dismissal. I'll take legal advice but curious if anyone has gone/going through this?

Profit before people should be the new company motto!

What departments do you currently have and what are they trying to give you? Without duty it is an easier job than it used to be.  It varies from store to store but the shift leads do all the extreme hours 4 or 5am to midnight. And the team managers do 7-22 shifts. 

Hammer10

All these managers moaning about doing their job need to take a look at themselves all you are doing is managing people they are not asking you to fill produce dairy bakery at the same time that's what your staff are for ,just goes to show how easy you have had it till now .

Night Owl

In an ideal world, yes managers would just manage their departments. In our store, managers are still expected to fill their departments by SM,  due to sick calls, late deliveries and checkout calls non stop from 8am -7pm. Yes we are on the new structure now, but still without Shiftleaders. Then SM is ranting as we used 15 hours over allowed hours last week.
Don't see things improving until January as Shiftleaders will be in place just before Christmas, if SD gives his approval.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk