News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:50PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 296
Total: 301

Expectations

Started by dfl, 23-09-20, 01:59PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chunkymufc

I've experienced a couple of tricky situations this week along with other drivers, when we have actually delivered to customers self isolation with Covid symptoms.

No information on the manifest to tell us this beforehand and the customer hasn't got bags. Plus I've had 2 customers tell me their situation after they have handled the trays etc.

I know that all we can do is wear disposable gloves and keep sanitising our hands after every drop, but I don't think that anyone seems to care about what mental stress this can place on drivers. We all have loved ones and we all have ourselves to protect and we could end up spreading to customers too.

Everything that we are reporting back at Store just seems to be falling on deaf ears. We have drivers who are off on the sick and self isolating so we are getting more extra deliveries to try and contend with as we are short of drivers too.

It's all very frustrating and doesn't help when you can't seem to get hold of anyone to speak to get things off your chest.

Yesterday we read in the media that Tesco have made over 500 million and yet seem quite happy and intent on compromising our health and safety and won't listen.

driver67

Exactly this.

There must be some way of getting somebody in a senior position, or alternatively an external position, to address this situation.

It is all well and good reporting it as a driver, but if nothing changes, then it is still unsafe.

If it is unsafe, surely it can be stopped?  How is the question.

Is it safe for more people to touch the trays, or is it more dangerous/likely to help spread the virus?

Twinkeltoes1

Go to the very top and escalate it to him.  I escalated a problem to Leahy once s i was getting nowhere, believe me things started happening almost immediatley, got called into the office by PM and Store Manager and was told I shouldnt have gone above his head,my reply was, well if you had taken heed of what i reported and taken action, then i wouldnt have needed to, no reply lol so do it,its the only way these people will learn.

dfl

Asked manager process, manager stated we go in as we have to assist vulnerable customers, i said no as employers legal duty of care is towards me not to customers
DFL

chunkymufc

I have seen the Covid -19 Risk assessment and there are quite a few concerns on here now, that are simply not happening and we are being instructed differently. I can only speak of the Dot Com side of things of course.

I have attached a copy if that is okay with the moderators. If not please delete and accept my apologies.

gomezz

Certainly not being supplied with enough hand gel.  We had a small supply of the 100ml dispensers but one of those barely lasts a morning if used as it should be and now we are even out of those.

As for writing "Unable to sign" every time, sod that for a game of soldiers!  I just sign a single straight line.  If they can't work out from the context what that means then they need to pay more attention to the news.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dfl

No way cdd's have time to clean and wipe down the van and equipment either during or at end of shift.
Unless they have small run, in our store runs can take you to within 10 minutes of your finish time before your even back at store, insufficient to unload, do paperwork, any returns, then clean equipment ! Sorry but in many cases not possible to meet this unreasonable target
DFL

gomezz

I wipe down the van touch points: Door handle, steering wheel, gear stick etc at the *start* of my shift as I take individual responsibility for my own safety and I expect everyone else to do the same.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

BlueToon

Quote from: gomezz on 09-10-20, 11:13AM
I wipe down the van touch points

So do I.
I have a spray bottle with dettol solution that I can spray on handles etc, along with a wash bag to sanitise my gloves after every drop.
As regards entering houses, it is the drivers "dynamic risk assessment that counts, NOT a managers.
As an aside, you can also use the ERA section 44 as a defence/counter argument against going into houses.
The quote below is from an employment lawyers website.

""Some of the key rights that an employee is entitled to include: -
    To be equipped with the necessary safety equipment free of charge.
    To be able to inform his/her employer of any Health and Safety concerns that they may have without fear of any disciplinary action.
    To have any possible risks to his/her Health and Safety assessed and controlled as far as possible by the employer.""

dfl

There is a pdf here someone posted which details measure such as bagging which were being done near start of pandemic, now they dont do this unless a customer pays for them or tray liners, this is a backward step for the employees safety
DFL

lucgeo

Going off topic slightly here, but the expectations of a lot of companies is reverting back...despite the rise in Covid cases again!

The Royal Mail has deemed it safe as from today, for all van sharing to recommence on a "voluntary basis" anyone declining will be expected to cover the shifts of those who agree to van share. I know a Scottish MP has taken this up with the Royal Mail...but it just goes to show how little thought these companies have for their employees health.
The backlog of parcels is running high, and with a forecast of another lockdown a possibility, they are wanting to clear the decks for which may prove to be an extremely busy Christmas period, with online ordering and people sending pressies.

As a result of this latest development, the sheer volume of parcels building up, low morale and staff shortages and with a terminally ill parent who is more dependant on help everyday, my partner has just handed in their notice...42years of service...never a day off sick for the first 26 of them, then promptly disciplined for two sick absences in one year suffering from ankylosing spondylitis A.K.A. postmans back!
So with two years to retirement, enough is enough, life's too short and getting shorter by the day.

Not everyone can just pack their job in, so you must take every precaution to protect yourselves and your loved ones...don't put yourselves at risk people, on the instructions of some manager flouting the rules to score brownie points with the SM  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

Customers expect  8-)

Furious Tesco shoppers QUEUING for Christmas delivery slots with 300,000 waiting to book

Get your fingers out lads & lassies our customers expect as well  :D  ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Hammer10

No slots left at my local already why are staff not given priority.well Lidl it is then this Xmas.

lordadmiral

Ha it is beter to wait few hours watching into screen waiti  for a slot. In the same time they could do theirs shopping :D

Shropshire Lad

Quote from: chunkymufc on 08-10-20, 07:32AM
I've experienced a couple of tricky situations this week along with other drivers, when we have actually delivered to customers self isolation with Covid symptoms.

No information on the manifest to tell us this beforehand and the customer hasn't got bags. Plus I've had 2 customers tell me their situation after they have handled the trays etc.

I know that all we can do is wear disposable gloves and keep sanitising our hands after every drop, but I don't think that anyone seems to care about what mental stress this can place on drivers. We all have loved ones and we all have ourselves to protect and we could end up spreading to customers too.

Everything that we are reporting back at Store just seems to be falling on deaf ears.

We've been using an App at our store built by one of our drivers who runs an IT business.  We can put a warning icon against the address if a customer declares they have covid at any point.  It stays on there for 30 days and then drops off.  May not help the first one to be told, but helps everyone else delivering after that to at least know what the situation is and plan how they deliver.  I've even called the customer ahead of time to confirm it and then I use the tray liners we carry in the van to bag up the shopping and leave it on the doorstep, then knock the door so there's no contact at all. App is called DALUS

ikilleduku64

If I left a van door unlocked overnight but key was safe can I get fired for that.  Random I know, but I can't start my own thread.

[admin]Ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/admin]

NightAndDay

No, you will most likely get a lets talk, A couple of Managers named Michael Mouse will have you believe otherwise though.

rayinski

I had my christmas shopping delivered today as I always take advantage of the 15% to do my monthly shop, granted I booked the slot three weeks ago, but with a bit of forward planning, you can't get disappointed

davidatperces

I have been at odds with the store for well over a year now about delivery protocol during the Covid situation. I have been told on many many occasions by customers that I am wrong when I tell them that trays cant be  taken into the property by the customer, they tell me that I am the only driver that stops them, ergo I am wrong. We have even had the customer support tell them that they can handle the trays. This goes against the statement in the Covid faq's on the grocery website and the latest delivery protocol that we have access to. I seem to be the only driver cleaning the van touch surfaces before I go on a run and I am being told that very few drivers wear a mask while delivering. I am getting no support from the store management, I have even been to protector-line. In this situation the customers make it personal with trays being thrown at me, have been called a"f**king idiot" "a pr**k" and all manor of things. What are others experiences?

lucgeo

Ask your manager to print off and sign the latest Covid safety guidelines! Bet ya he doesn't  >:(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

gaz123

Quote from: davidatperces on 15-12-21, 04:57PMhave been called a"f**king idiot" "a pr**k" and all manor of things.
Tell ya what, if any customer had ever spoken like that to me, I'd have made damn sure they got a couple of very discreet little 'extras' in ay future drops I had to their address!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk