News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:59PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 291
Total: 293

Picker performance

Started by Lurker21, 15-01-20, 08:19PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryZola

If they take you into the office then just give them a written list of all the reasons why you can't be held fully responsible for your pick-rate. Here's some ideas. Having to stop to help customers. Mapping incorrect so it takes you a lot longer to search for many items. Time taken to walk from your initial scan near dotcom to the first item/department. Customers and or staff blocking aisles so a lot of time is not actually spent picking, but waiting around for people to move out of your way. I'm sure there are other reasons but I've not picked for a while so can't remember off the top of my head. If and when they remove those barriers to you hitting their wanted pickrate then they could potentially have a reason for giving you a talking to or taking it further. Unless they can do that, tell them it's totally unreasonable to bully you about things that are out of your control. If they're still not happy, tell them to try to take it as far as they want and you'll see Tesco at a tribunal where a sensible person can decide that Tesco are asking for something that's unreasonable to achieve consistently. You have to nip that type of c**p in the bud and then they'll try it on with someone else who they think they can get away with harassing.

lucgeo

All of the above reasons given, will be answered that the pick rate has been determined as correct and has been calculated as achievable by HO!

Any 1-1 meeting take a COPY of YOUR questions, clearly marked as COPY, and hand it to your manager, so you can both go through them together  ;) 
You too can ask a manager for a 1-1 meeting at any time to discuss concerns and issues you may have, it's a two way street.
You ask when the mapping of the store was last completed, by whom and was it signed off as fully done?
Any other questions you wish to ask, write down your managers answers, clearly in view, on your copy just "so you can refer back to them at a later date if need be".

Pointedly ask your manager if they honestly believe the pick rate, given all the distractions and obstacles faced on the shop floor, is fair and achievable, taking into account the conflicting picking ratios of the fruit and veg section in particular?

Ask if your pick rate is deemed below the section average? If yes, request support from that manager to accompany you on the next shift, to highlight where you may be below standard...you also choose the pick, not your manager!

If you honestly believe you are working to the best of your ability but feel your being fobbed off, clearly announce you'd like to request a capability study, as it's clearly a case of Conduct V's Capability.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Jonathan1970

Also in our store we are told if a customer asks where a product is we have to take them to it and when there if the shelf is empty, scan with inform app and if there's stock go in warehouse and find it.  Which if your picking near bakery and they ask for napkins on other side of the shop it can end up being 10 mins to go find.  Try finding someone of non food or getting into the warehouse in our store.  Nightmare.

VladPutin

That's why I never bothered to download the app; if a customer asks for something, I can just tell them we don't have it and apologise. ;)

Hibobhi

Hi I'm a dotcom picker and today I was told in my review that the slowest pickers in the department would be disciplined and then managed out of the company if they don't meet the pick rate, I was told I'm 100% fine as my pick is fine, but surly this isn't right, for one the store is an absolute joke with miss fills and labels all over the place, they cited a ( I can't remember what it's called) that allows them to do this it's just that no one really uses it. Does anyone know more about this, can pickers be managed out of the business

lucgeo

Err...think the manager might be telling you a porky there ???

It's just a way of getting you to keep up the pick rate..."you're fine, keep it up, others who aren't going as quick will be managed out" wonder how many others were told the same  ???

There's a very long line of procedures to follow before someone can be managed out of the business  :-X

NightAndDay

Quote from: Hibobhi on 20-02-22, 03:29PM
Hi I'm a dotcom picker and today I was told in my review that the slowest pickers in the department would be disciplined and then managed out of the company if they don't meet the pick rate, I was told I'm 100% fine as my pick is fine, but surly this isn't right, for one the store is an absolute joke with miss fills and labels all over the place, they cited a ( I can't remember what it's called) that allows them to do this it's just that no one really uses it. Does anyone know more about this, can pickers be managed out of the business

Dot com is going to be an absolute shambles when nights go, there will be substitutions all over the shop.

Hibobhi

What are those procedures, so I can pass it onto the others

horatiocain

It would be a matter of capability  and I've eyes to meet a teaco manager that understands it, it takes months to move through the process.
Further thing they need to do is prove their pick rate is achievable

Hibobhi

They will say the pick is achievable as people do meet the pick, but last year they "unofficially" let it be known if people didn't meet the pick then they wouldn't get overtime, so a lot of people had the sign in-out scanner on their phone(those or some where caught) and people now pick and choose what trollies they go out with, fresh is an easy area to achieve pickrate. It's a mess and managers refuse to actually manage the department, and are taking the easy route by threatening people with sacking for low pick, coming from managers who spend 90% of their time in office drinking costa

lucgeo

They may state the pick rate is achievable, but they have to prove it!
They're playing the old mind games...until they "officially" state that people are being denied overtime due to their pick rate, I'd let it be known that I had approached other departments for overtime, they'd soon be panicking about covering their own, saying you prioritise.com first!!!

I don't know about scanning in-out using your phone, but if it's against policy, you don't do it!! It seems they've got you all in fighting, for easy pick trollies etc...to achieve the pick rate, whilst they sit back and watch the show!! :-X :-X
Any idle threats about sacking, you state in a loud and clear voice, for all to hear " please stop harassing me and threatening me with dismissal!!"

The procedures for managing out of the business are long and arduous. There are several meetings, there is retraining, there is SYP meetings, each meeting has a set agreed period of timescale to be achieve  ( usually around 4 weeks?) then there's disciplinary meetings, where conduct v's capability comes into play, then there's the capability study that you request, which is rarely done, as they know what they're asking is nigh on impossible, as they're not factoring the outside influences of customer requests etc...and should all that then be done, it's about 12 months down the line, and no manager has got anywhere near that staying power!

I would suggest the whole department agree to do what they can personally achieve, DON'T cut corners or perform against policy, just work to rule. The slackers will be dealt with, but if you're all doing the best you can, then they ain't going to dismiss the whole department are they...though the managers may be in for the high jump if their department is underperforming, due to their lack of management skills!

lucgeo

Adding to the above regarding procedure timescales...if any of the agreed timescales for next meetings are not adhered to, then it goes back to the beginning, as deemed out of process!

Ford Torino

Unfortunately, "personal pick rate" comes across as an excuse to bully weaker staff, and I know some of my less assertive colleagues are told similar things. I rarely achieve the pick rate by the end of the day, but they don't come after me. Why not? Because I've told my managers on many occasions, that while I'll generally pick as fast as I can, I am not a slave to some magic number that supposedly defines whether I'm good or bad at my job. If anything, I think judging people by their personal pick rate is a huge flaw in a department like dotcom. You have a load of trolleys to be picked. Some are going to be easy, some are going to be hard - but they all need to be done. So it's frankly ridiculous that people feel they have to choose which trolleys to take, merely to have an easy life and avoid the hassle of getting told off. I know that many of my colleagues will refuse to take anything with fewer than six labels - but I found out the other day that some people even go through the numbers. And if they're the same, it means it's the same customer - which means it could merely a few items such as multipacks of water - which means they're not going to take that trolley! And it's interesting how management know this goes on, but never seem to recommend it when they have a pick rate whinge during Team 5!

If management ever had any practical advice about about picking faster, then of course I will listen. But the best they ever seem to come up with is "avoid distractions." Oh really? A child could have told me that!

Hibobhi

Does anyone know if dotcom still uses the evergreen system and if not what's the new one called, I remember evergreen training was don't look for items that aren't there, miss fills-wrongly and poor mapping

lucgeo

If you've not had any refresher update training, which would override the evergreen training, then it's status quo.
Just continue with the evergreen training you've had, and quote it if you're pulled up on any complaint from your manager.  :thumbup:

madness

This is comical pickers complaining about their job. Literally the safest job in store from having any sort of responsibility and accoutability for anything.

BUY TESLA STOCK

The pickers just walked around talking on beer token 8 hour contract who could blame them.

Hibobhi

Quote from: madness on 02-03-22, 01:37PM
having any sort of responsibility and accoutability for anything.
You're 100% right! Oh wait no, pickers get tracked for how many items they pick they get tracked for trolly neatness, non picking time, break times are tracked they get tracked for substitutions and many more ridiculous things, meanwhile when I worked in dairy, produce and bread and cakes u get tracked on, erm? if u turned up for a shift

fatlad

Pickers tracked on trolley neatness? You're having a laugh there mate. Most trolleys picked in our store look like everything has just been dropped in from a great height! Multipacks of crisps under bags of potatoes, bread squashed under 2 ltr bottles of pop. Tell this to the dotcom manager & you just get back 'we know which pickers are doing it' but does anything ever change  8-)

madness

Quote from: Hibobhi on 03-03-22, 10:45AM
Quote from: madness on 02-03-22, 01:37PM
having any sort of responsibility and accoutability for anything.
You're 100% right! Oh wait no, pickers get tracked for how many items they pick they get tracked for trolly neatness, non picking time, break times are tracked they get tracked for substitutions and many more ridiculous things, meanwhile when I worked in dairy, produce and bread and cakes u get tracked on, erm? if u turned up for a shift
Yes ironic that the two departments checkouts and pickers who can very easily be performance managed by the numbers are NEVER dealt with. Yet fillers get beasted for back-stock cages, missing one gap not doing xxx number of cages/cases.

I have never seen a picker pulled up for their pick rate as the just use the excuse "i was helping a customer" no way of proving otherwise. Near the end of the shift would pickers go and help the shop as the pick is ahead of schedule?? No we will double up and one pushes the trolley and the others uses the pick-stick. Its comically insulting how much dot com is the golden goose.

Hibobhi

I guess u two the follow pickers round the store all the time if u never see pickers getting into trouble, might want to do your own work? Maybe then you won't get beasted for the quality of your work.

Nomad

[admin]Now now, play nicely together, every one thinks they have the hardest job.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

"A day in my shoes"  8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk