Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

28-10-21, 04:59AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 47805
  • Total Topics: 935
  • Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 30
Total: 31

Author Topic: bereavement  (Read 37168 times)

Nicolerebecca19

Re: bereavement
« Reply #125 on: 14-10-21, 08:38PM »
Evening all,

My Nan recently passed away and I had 4 days off in total (2 each week as I only work 2 days) which included time off for her funeral. I checked my payslip and I’m only getting paid for 1 day? I have contacted my manager who said I am only entitled to 1 day leave? Is this correct as I was made to think it was 5 days for some reason? Thanks

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #126 on: 14-10-21, 09:12PM »
Firstly I’m sorry for the loss of your Nan :(

Always an emotional issue this one, the rule of thumb, as I always understood it, bereavement leave was one week, pro rata.
So on a 2 day week, it would be 2 day paid bereavement, regardless if the funeral was one of your shift days or not!
Paid bereavement leave can be extended, but only at the discretion of the PP.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nicolerebecca19

« Reply #127 on: 14-10-21, 09:32PM »
Thank you for the reply.

I work a Monday and Tuesday and they have paid me my Tuesday shift (4.5 hours)
I asked my manager and they said I am only entitled to the one day? Do you suggest contacting Usdaw regarding this since they are not being much help to me?

King1999

• Know All
« Reply #128 on: 14-10-21, 10:15PM »
Your manager should have discussed all options with you and should always put your well-being first,sounds a very compassionate soul.The policy is on ourtesco help section if you want to check it,your manager needs to do the same by the sound of it.Sorry for your loss I’ve recently been through this and couldn’t fault my manager......and that’s a first.

chris9997

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #129 on: 15-10-21, 02:49AM »
Sorry for your loss, These days it amazes me why stores do
 not follow the rules the rules on our tesco are there for a reason that there is uniformity and fairness throughout the company.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #130 on: 15-10-21, 09:16AM »
@nicolerebecca19

If you’re a union member, then by all means ask your rep to assist you with this, as usually an interjection from a rep will sort it out with the wages clerk, (if you still have one?) more quickly, then you arguing the toss with a manager!

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Can't wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #131 on: 15-10-21, 10:03AM »
Sorry for your loss, These days it amazes me why stores do
 not follow the rules the rules on our tesco are there for a reason that there is uniformity and fairness throughout the company.

Because they employ egotistical oddities as section managers who take great delight in inflicting as much emotional pain on people as they can get away with. This used to be negated by personnel managers who told them the actual policy now they have gone they make it up as they go along. 

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #132 on: 15-10-21, 10:46PM »
It's a minimum of 1 week paid leave, 2 if it were a parent.
However they can authorise more if they want to.

Tesla

• Regular Pain
« Reply #133 on: 15-10-21, 10:49PM »
“Want to”  :D

King1999

• Know All
« Reply #134 on: 16-10-21, 02:45PM »
Not up to them it's about you,just go off sick.Joke of a place.

General Thorn

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #135 on: 16-10-21, 03:06PM »
When my mother died a few months ago I was given 5 days paid (I work 5 days) and I took an extra week unpaid as I was given the choice of unpaid or using up holidays.

5fdp

« Reply #136 on: 16-10-21, 10:18PM »
Please just read the policies. Everything is in there.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #137 on: 17-10-21, 09:29AM »
The problem with that is if you ask the average GA they will have no clue where to find them, not their fault its designed to be obscure.

King1999

• Know All
« Reply #138 on: 17-10-21, 09:48AM »
Totally agree how unaccessible it is,just keeping the sense of your just a number and we will treat you as we please.Company and store level.

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #139 on: 17-10-21, 03:41PM »
Nothing changes in this company does it, about five years ago a bloke in our store lost his Grandad, he found out during the shift, response from duty was "are you going to finish your shift as we are already thin on the ground today" not even sorry or are you alright etc, and yes he did go home to be with his family.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Biscuit tin

« Reply #140 on: 17-10-21, 05:17PM »
I'd love to know when the week off for losing grandparents was introduced. Its going back a few years but I only ever received a day off for the funeral of each of mine.
Now I know people who banked a few days from their leave to use it a few months later for ash scattering, conveniently the same time they'd previously had holiday leave refused for.

BadHairDay

« Reply #141 on: 18-10-21, 09:34PM »
I have lost my mother a few days ago and have been signed off sick by my doctor. Can they use this type of absence as part of a disaplinary?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #142 on: 19-10-21, 01:24PM »
They can but you would hope it would be part of future absences rather than this one.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #143 on: 19-10-21, 02:04PM »
@BadHairDay

Please accept my condolences, forget Tesco, just concentrate on your own grieving and loss at this sad time.

A lot of managers will take this sickness into consideration, if it exceeds your sickness %…unfortunately a small minority may not!
A disciplinary should only be a next step in absences of a regular reason. A disciplinary based solely on an absence due to bereavement, should be treated with kid gloves, and rather support than discipline.

Your PP can authorise a longer paid absence at times, due to the individual circumstances, but nonetheless, your contracted week, is a paid bereavement absence ( to include funeral date)  and not calculated in the absence %.