News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:27PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,124
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Time off. Paid or not?

Started by Mark calloway, 13-12-19, 01:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperjakes

RE. cindyboo and cinderellas posts.
A staff member went home sick recently after working more than 50% of their shift.
They only got paid for hours worked and were told this is how it is now.
Would be good to know if this is correct or not.
Personally i have worked for company for many years and have only gone home once about two hours early due to sickness. I'm pretty sure i got paid but that was a long time ago.
     I would assume that as we are paid by the hour it is quite likely that things have changed and we are only paid for the hours worked.

Sickness Absence Policy:

8. What should I do if I am ill during work?
If you become ill at work then you should speak to your Manager/Team Leader/Duty Manager (or the person covering their role). If you need to go home, and you have more than half a shift left to work, your absence will be recorded and included in your absence levels. You will be paid until the end of your shift for that day.

Cinderella

Is there any link to that, that I can send to my manager? I'm struggling to find anything on OurTesco

Blackcat3

Does anyone know when the official announcement about the changes is also @ cinderella we have full time staff in the areas that are affected I don't think there are jobs to accommodate them well not in our store anyway

Cinderella.

All policies have moved to Colleague Help. Search for Sickness Absence Policy, June 2018, version 3.2

Mark calloway

My rep went to wages and the two women there hadn't a clue how to put the "code" in for a planned procedure. I have to wait till tomorrow until another colleague comes in. Does anyone know what the code is that they need to put through? This place is a joke.

It is still coded as sick (and planned operation written in the reason section). Then they need to send a re-instatement of 3 day wait form on the Comms Centre.

Redshoes

There should be a list of codes, we have one in the sick book and one on the wall near where wages clerk sits. It's available to print from online site and probably comms help.

lucgeo

@Mark Calloway

If those two clerks are being sincere...that they are unaware of any coding for paid absence...then they need re training and their manager needs to be spoken to in the strongest terms, by the SM. It is illegal to withhold any due payment!

How many other people have gone unpaid because of their ignorance...even when told that it was a paid absence, no one thought to check? To phone the wage support team or email the area PM for clarification??

I had the very same scenario many years ago when I was supporting as a rep...wages and manager (who was also the COMPLIANCE manager) insisted that it was unpaid. I spoke to my PM who not only wrote the code down for me to hand to them...but later went and kicked off with the both of them, advising them it could be classed as gross misconduct if they now knowingly withheld future payments due.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mark calloway

My rep spoke to the senior wages clerk who's been here for years and she actually said she's never put a planned procedure through. Well that's a lie,I had one two years ago and got paid and I know several others who have. I'm gutted as it's a lot of money I'm down.

Redshoes

We employ people, as such they make mistakes. If you put a code into the wages system two years ago but have not done since it's reasonable for someone to have forgotten. If a hospital letter has been given to place on file it should then only be a matter of coding exceptions for that day. Exceptions are kept for long enough to see who has coded for that day.
The however to all of this is that if a mistake has been spotted and needs to be corrected it's should be done so and in a sympathetic manner. It's not acceptable to short pay someone but to then do so and for that person to have to fight for correction is very wrong.
The wages system as we have it is outdated and cumbersome. There are pending updates to system, as stated online.

Mark calloway

There's been several guys who have had planned operations and been paid. In fact there was one only a couple of months ago.

lucgeo

@Mark Calloway

I would suggest your rep speak to their Area organiser, as for the senior wage clerk to make that statement is concerning. The Area organiser should then contact the Area PM to highlight this.

@Redshoes

It is reasonable for a colleague to have forgotten the code, but it is highly unreasonable or unlikely that they'll have "forgotten" that its a paid absence. It's part of their job, and as there is more than one wage clerk, which suggests a big store, so a large headcount of staff. Therefore there's a high probability of colleagues not receiving the paid absence due.
I was told in my rep training it was a paid absence, and I never forgot that fact...so to suggest that a senior wage clerk, or any wage clerk is unaware of the rules surrounding paid absences is nonsensical. Every store I have been in, clearly has every code displayed on the wall next  to the wage desk.

NightAndDay

Senior wage clerk is like having the job title Janitorial SME, it's still a minimum wage noddy job that anyone can do.

CLEARERskies

There is a form on comms centre available for any planned ops (can't remember what it's called). It's a step by step form and the only way it can be filled in wrong is if your wages colleague is completely thick. It literally has 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. down the form and you can't move to the next page unless you've filled in ALL required information. I find it hard to believe a wages colleague who has been there X amount of years doesn't know this as all new information for things like this comes down to the team manager and should be passed over straight away. Sounds more like an 'I can't be bothered' situation.  :-\

forrestgimp

What is not reasonable is for a colleague who deals with wages to ignore anyone questioning their knowledge and assuming they are incorrect without actualy going to the trouble to find out.

Reps get it all the time, managers 'Know' what policy is untill they get shown in black and white they are mistaken.

NightAndDay

This is why you need arbiters and oversite, can't be having wage clerks witholding everyones pay willy nilly acting above their station without reprimand.

lucgeo

This is a classic case of the wages clerk being informed by " someone" not to pay them. Or the wages clerk thinking they are God Almighty!

I once had a three day course with the union, but was only paid my part time shift hours for the three days...when I queried why I wasn't paid the full 7.5 hours per day as I was on company business, I was informed ( by the wage clerk who I'd I p****d off previously) that I was only entitled to my part time shift hours?? I offered to have my area organiser email him the ruling, on which he agreed thinking he was calling my bluff. Silly man!! Area organiser emailed PM...wage clerk hated me even more  :D :D

Cinderella

Thanks for the above replies to my previous post. I’m constantly trying to catch up on the policies, because it seems they are used whenever managers feel like it!

Why is it that certain people can get all the time off they need, and some of us can’t have what policy states we are entitled to, without a battle?

I had an emergency situation in my home four weeks ago. I was up all night handling it, and waiting for emergency repairs during the day. Called in to Tesco, even got my entire shift covered, as I didn’t know how long the repairs would take. Literally left them without any inconvenience at all. The emergency works turned out to be more complicated than expected, so things weren’t going smoothly. In the evening, I received a call from Tesco, telling me that I had to work more than half of my shift, or I would find myself in an absence investigation. On zero sleep, and being known to suffer with anxiety, this caused me additional stress, and I immediately rushed into work, where I was so exhausted that I wasn’t working at my usual level anyway - and of course the person I’d got to cover me was there also!

So fast forward to last week, where the repairs still aren’t done - thanks to me being demanded to attend work. And the situation worsens and becomes an emergency again. 6am I managed to get a couple of hours sleep, but knowing I had to be at work in a few short hours, I couldn’t wait for help again. I’m now at four weeks of having this problem, that could have been resolved on day one!

Someone spoke to me privately yesterday and forwarded me some policy. My exact issue is listed underneath emergency leave! Doesn’t that mean I should be allowed to stay home for the repairs (I have photos and videos to prove what is happening), without being subject to an investigation?? My home is getting damaged further, the longer this goes on, and the stress is horrible.

And yet there are staff who have been off for childcare issues, child sick, waiting for electrician, visiting a relative, car broke down and more things. That’s just one person. And those all get marked as “domestic” (which I’m told isn’t supposed to be used anymore). I don’t understand why that person doesn’t get an investigation, but I’m threatened with one, and my situation keeps getting worse, due to the delay in repairs. I have no time off booked until next year, and the repairs just can’t wait that long. I’m close to the point of asking for a meeting with the store manager.

oldfashionedplayer

I'd ask for the meeting with the store manager or take out a grievance based on the information that you were entitled to emergency leave and you've been bullied into coming into work and it's affected your mental health etc, see how quickly they offer a resolution since anything to do with mental health they'd lose full flat and that scenario is a kick in the teeth of driving someone crazy.

lackofinterest

you have to work half of your shift my arse!!! which clown told you this? you should not have gone in. you do not get an absence review for one day off. just arrange for the repair to get done and call in sick for that day.

Redshoes

You said you called work, who did you call? If you called duty and said you had a domestic situation they should have granted you the time to sort the issues. Your message sounds to me that you did not go through duty, you rang someone in your dept and arranged cover for your shift.

Cinderella

I arranged the cover privately, by calling a colleague, so that I could offer a solution and not just a problem when calling the store. I had initially said I would be late, but couldn’t give a time frame, and later the repairs became complicated and were going to take the whole day. That’s when I contacted the department, to give them an update. Then I was told I had to come in.

I can’t call in sick for this, as I’ve been signed off sick for two weeks twice, and now they are being extremely strict about letting me have any more time off. I don’t even think the first absence should be counted, as I was signed off with stress after being punched at work!

I’m wondering whether emergency leave counts towards absence, and if it doesn’t, I will push for that to get the repairs done. I can even provide evidence of the damages to them, if needed

lackofinterest

you don't need to provide evidence. TELL them you will be taking unpaid leave for an urgent home emergency. if it takes a week then so be it!! see a union rep or/and explain the situation to the store manager

chris9997

Personally I would not have contacted anyone outside work to sort cover for yourself unless it was to arrange a shift swap, getting cover is down to tesco.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk