News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 01:02AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,361
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 385
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 366
Total: 367

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammer10

Where were you 16 years ago, probably at school, well I was in 16th year of working for this company.  When I started we got Sat*rday premium as well, it was not much but it helped.

The amount of money involved this time is massive it could be enough to bankrupt some people when you take on a mortgage you do so in the knowledge that you can afford it, I can't go to the bank manager and say sorry I can't pay my mortgage because my company has cut my wages because they think it's OK.  You can't go to the bank and say I need to renegotiate my mortgage as I am 135 pounds a month worse off.

The company should not be telling all and sundry what each person earns it is what is in their contract and for no one else to know, that is what it amounts to.  I wonder if they are breaking any laws by doing this.  Because in the next couple of weeks everyone will get to know who is affected as they get called for one to ones.

Rad

Its obviously an emotional subject but don't get upset with your colleagues.  Feedback through forum reps, mid year what matters to you etc.

The previous few posters all have valid points.  I think Tesco's idea when they started changing new contracts for new employees was that the colleagues on older contracts would retire and eventually everyone would be on similar contracts.  When we agree to take the jobs on we know the pay.  It can be tough working alongside someone you know earns more for doing the same job but claden is spot on, he/she was offered a job on certain terms and is now having that contract ripped up.

Half the year I take home less than I did 5 years ago because they scrapped the express bonus and miscalculated the pension situation.  I got stiffed out of my saturday premium because I moved into a job where you didnt get it.  I had knocked back their buyout offer every january for years.

Anyway, the changes down the years to the pay changes have affected us all financially or emotionally.  I think they have tried to do too much too quickly, and this just feels like the beginning.

Duracell

Quote from: the-vortex on 02-06-16, 12:02AM
@cityboy, Not quite what you say. You must agree that equal pay for equal work is a fair principle.

I get time and a half for BH and Sundays and no premium if I work over 36 hours/w. Some colleagues are earning double time for BHs and Sundays and when they work over 36 hours/week. That in my honest opinion is unfair. They have received this advantage for 16 years or so and are now having to accept rates that they agreed for their colleagues when they accepted a generous pay deal in 1999 (or whenever). For the last 8 years (since I joined ) I have been paid less than them on Sundays (most of which I have worked) and BHs which I have also mostly worked. I have been disadvantaged for those 8 years, now it's fairer.

Whether you like it or not, pay related terms specified by start date are Service elements, much the same as Holiday entitlement and Sick entitlement.

The principle you speak of As "a principle" is the thin end of the wedge.

The concept of a heavy financial contractual change for some being encompassed in a discretionary pay award negotiation is unethical.

What your experience speaks of is not, because you excepted your terms, the union can't challenge that possibility such a stance is also unethical. A bit like if they took action against Voluntary redundancies they cannot deny individuals that choice.

They can't take action to stop you consenting to your terms.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

chris9997

The people who state that is fairer to have equal premiums for all ,as is stated long term were employed on those terms and had these payments in there contracts at the time and long term staff will have on the whole already accounted for there pay based on those payments, osbourne is supporting the living wage to reduce benefit support but if staff are getting pay cut does this not have a reverse effect. less pay for some = more benefit.
also when the supporters of this cut realise there may well be staff quiting due to this,you will then find staff will not be replaced you will have to work harder!

Nomad

A moral to all, when applying for a job/position at any company get acquainted with the T&Cs, remuneration and benefits that existing staff receive, preferably from current staff not MM.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Duracell

@the_ vortex.

Imagine your reaction a few days before you were due to start.

A letter "sorry the job offer has been withdrawn because the Union have threatened to take action if these new contracts become the newest contract.

You are definately living in a vortex if you think USDAW and its members could have stopped the introduction of your terms.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

troll-hunter

Sorry but these people saying it's only fair dropping the old timers to time and a half etc. really bug me. For the record I am a time and a halfer on Sundays and Bank holidays, do I begrudge the double timers or their true overtime rates, do I hell! They started when employment conditions were better and it's fair play to them as far as I am concerned. Is it fair to reduce their wage, like $%^&. What would be fair would be to increase ours to theirs.

I almost long for T* to introduce, for new starts, 1.25 time or even standard rate for Sundays and BH and then, sometime later to say "for fairness we are going to cut the rate for all you old timers from 1.5 to the same rate as the newbies", I wonder how much screaming, gnashing of teeth and spitting out of dummy tits there would be then from these "fair" people?
Rant over, I'll go chill on my local glacier.

jumbo

do not despair about our lost premiums we can we can all have a new style badge good old TESCO .

yorkshireboy

I did not realise everyone was receiving a badge, here's me thinking that it 's a stealth move to give me a customer twilight recognition identity!

the-vortex

Quote from: Hammer10 on 02-06-16, 07:11AM
Where were you 16 years ago, probably at school, well I was in 16th year of working for this company.  When I started we got Sat*rday premium as well, it was not much but it helped.
... I need to renegotiate my mortgage as I am 135 pounds a month worse off.

for what it's worth 16 years ago I was a mortgage adviser and my daughter was taking her A levels. I didn't agree mortgages that involved someone relying so much on overtime and weekend premiums - especially I would have expected there to have been some improvement in pay that negated the potential effect of a £135pm reduction in income. I didn't last because I didn't do those loans!

I joined 8 1/2 years ago so your £135pm means that over that time you've received nearly £15000 more than someone who joined at the same time as me.

If you've received it since 1999 (when you gave away the benefits of future colleagues for a better payrise) that's nearly £30,000.

I realise that I should factor out pay increases in the interim but the point stays.
Loyalty is a one-way street!

chris9997

Quote from: the-vortex on 07-06-16, 12:17AM
Quote from: Hammer10 on 02-06-16, 07:11AM
... I need to renegotiate my mortgage as I am 135 pounds a month worse off.

for what it's worth 16 years ago I was a mortgage adviser and my daughter was taking her A levels. I didn't agree mortgages that involved someone relying so much on overtime and weekend premiums - especially I would have expected there to have been some improvement in pay that negated the potential effect of a £135pm reduction in income. I didn't last because I didn't do those loans!

I joined 8 1/2 years ago so your £135pm means that over that time you've received nearly £15000 more than someone who joined at the same time as me.

If you've received it since 1999 (when you gave away the benefits of future colleagues for a better payrise) that's nearly £30,000.

I realise that I should factor out pay increases in the interim but the point stays.
Back in 1999 (and before) the company decided to reward future employees a less generous pay packet the company at the time decided to do this not the employee, you took on the job on the terms and conditions stated in your contract just like the 1999 colleagues and you have accepted pay rises not pay cuts.
How about overtime when rates were cut we were told that it will not affect the older staff because it will be monitored rubbish the people on longer term contracts were sidelined because of the cost. My point also is that staff have a right to have there pay maintained and  not eradicated .
Sorry where did the post mention the £135 pm include overtime?

claden

Do you know what I find really bad, people haven't even been informed exactly how much money they will lose with just over 3 weeks to go until this pay cut takes effect. Disgraceful

the postman

Anybody know anything at all regarding managers payreview?.letters are going out next week apparently, but no detail at all as to what they contain.

Hammer10

It was not overtime but contracted for Sundays I have always worked them to provide for my family even when I lost my grand parents which hit me very hard as they were more of a parent to me, I also worked Sundays as the wage they paid was very poor now I am going to be struggling again, not to mention the family time I gave up.

spooner

Quote from: claden on 07-06-16, 07:34AM
Do you know what I find really bad, people haven't even been informed exactly how much money they will lose with just over 3 weeks to go until this pay cut takes effect. Disgraceful
same here . It's disgraceful that we've heard nothing . But then we mean nothing to the company . Treated like c**p right up till the last minute . Shame on them .

chris9997

Quote from: Hammer10 on 07-06-16, 08:37AM
It was not overtime but contracted for Sundays I have always worked them to provide for my family even when I lost my grand parents which hit me very hard as they were more of a parent to me, I also worked Sundays as the wage they paid was very poor now I am going to be struggling again, not to mention the family time I gave up.
When I said about where did you mention overtime I was in reply to the vortex who said something along the lines of someone losing £135 per month should not be relient on overtime and premiums, well you never mentioned that the £135 was overtime and the premiums at the time you started were part of your contract.

antico

claden : letters reference transition payment should arrive in stores from 16th of June ,followed by 121 meetings with mm at which time they should inform you of the sum of your loss if any.

claden

Are the letters not going to our home addresses? I know people who are going on holiday on the 17th and 18th both will definitely be affected. What happens if you are not around for your one to one?

Call me

Well just like car crash training it's now car crash communication.  God I wish I could say something nice   I'm trying  (-*-)

renown

@call me
You and me both. No doubt thousands of others feel the same. So effectively we will given a couple of weeks to work out if we can afford to continue working for the company.

Unfortunately the household bills will continue to rise unlike the wages we get.

claden

According to my night manager letters will go to individual sender homes and the store will receive a 'package on the 16th whatever that means. Seems to be so late less than 3 weeks to go.

Chiefstudbaker

What will happen if someone leaves or takes redundancy after the payoff??? I assume itll just be taken back???

antico

Just a reminder the new pay rate comes into effect from the 3rd of July . 2.the transition payment will be paid on 29th JULY .    3.if a colleague leaves T. within 6 months of receiving the lump sum payment, the company reserves the right to recover part of the lump sum payment.                                                                       

Tillyton

What if you decide to drop Saturday's and take another night on after the pay out can you still have the money you would have lost

Call me

Antico I'll leave after Christmas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk