News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:36PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,122
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Equalizer87

The reality is Tesco cannot afford the living wage of 2020, in pretty much any scenario. It will take the loss of serious numbers of staff to compensate for it.

I believe this 'Project Pace' is in motion, they have no real alternatives. It will all start with the remaining premiums being lost, privelagecard and any other benefit staff have.

It's coming and it will begin to bite after the £7.62ph kicks in.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

tescopleb

Have no illusions tosco can afford to pay the living wage it just doesn't want to, hence drastics histrionics which are the equivalent of throwing his toys out of the pram.

spooner

So are the managers losing double time ?

tumshie

And how about Dave and his chums at the top? What are they giving up?

Mickymouse1962

Oh well will be working my last ever bank holiday tomorrow  after this I will never ever  do one at time and a half only got 12 years till I retire

the postman

No word on managers pay review yet unfortunately, wish they would get it over with.

Expressdude2016

Letters getting sent out wk16/17

Equalizer87

Quote from: tescopleb on 04-05-16, 03:42PM
Have no illusions tosco can afford to pay the living wage it just doesn't want to, hence drastics histrionics which are the equivalent of throwing his toys out of the pram.

I wouldn't  be  surprised if I'm  honest. However if you couple the dwindling profit range and increase in NLW it will come to a sticking point. That's the road they are heading in.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Ethelredtheunready

As a serious question has anyone got hard facts i.e. £ & p, concerning the savings the company will make by the various reductions? I don't mean guesses. I think it would be informative to compare such with the pay, bonuses, perks, and pay increases of those in the ivory tower.

Duracell

It's hard to be precise.

However they say 39,000 are affected.

So if all work just 1 sunday per year ( probably vastly more).
Double time to time and a half for each person for 8 hours per year would save
£1,123,200.00

In all probability you will not be able to realise what you are looking for.

As I have pointed out previously, the company seem driven by cost neutral pay awards, so the likely hood is that there is still no increase on the wage bill in retail.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

chris9997

The answer to this question is in various press reports when it states the 3.1% is costing £137m of which £38m is being reinvested from the various cuts in premiums etc and £99m it will cost the company.

optout

so its not costing the company £137m. It is costing the company £99m and It is costing sunday workers and night workers £38m.

so 39,000 are affected,

38m divided by 39,000 = £974.36p (rounded up to the nearest penny), per person detrimentally affected (or otherwise impacted), as an average.

Would that be about right :question:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

mexicopete

That would be per annum, so it would appear they are saving an awful lot more over the coming years. ;) ;) ;)
The worlds me lobster

the-vortex

That looks right but wouldn't some of the £99m be used to increase the pay rates of those 39000? Simplistically, the £38m is being taken from the generous benefits of the longer term employees and being added to the company's £99m which is then all being redistributed among the whole workforce as a higher settlement.
Loyalty is a one-way street!

optout

maybe but when in 18months normality hits, it still means that they are that amount worse of and tesco are saving that amount per year. Doesn't it. :question:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Vanilla

If they're not sure how the 15% long term employees will be impacted individually then I would question how they've arrived at the £38m figure. In my mind surely it'd be a "bottom-up" exercise?

cityboy

the-vortex, you sound like you think that's O.K. that a pay cut is justified as long as it benefits the majority. So theorecically if you worked somewhere that paid you £8.00 per hour, but later took on people at £6.00 per hour, and after some years, when the majority of people wher on £6.00 per hour. you were told that the new, fairer pay deal, to "equalize" employees pay, everyone would now get £7.00 per hour.  Would you be happy that your loss of earnings, to your families detrement, would be helping your employer to subsidise a pay rise to the majority at your expense? When all of us started work at Tesco, we were happy to get a job and sign the terms that were offered. Now they have made it that as part of a pay deal that benefits can be cut to finance it, look out 2020. No sunday premium. no night premium, and they will find a way of making your staff discount and their pension contributions part of your £9.00 per hour

Hammer10

Not to worry as soon as they cut my pay I shall do as little as possible at the mo I enjoy my job but when they take 135 pounds a month then they can go do the other thing.

Duracell

Quote from: Vanilla on 30-05-16, 07:06AM
If they're not sure how the 15% long term employees will be impacted individually then I would question how they've arrived at the £38m figure. In my mind surely it'd be a "bottom-up" exercise?

Absolutely.
It's a conservative figure.
How could they forecast the amount of potential overtime the 39,000 would have done for example, it is an unknown quantity.

It's a guesstimate at best.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Call me

So after I'm given my payoff or rip off payment can I leave without paying it back  (-*-)

spooner

Anyone know when we will be having our meetings about our payouts ?

Truthfinder

I think it's on or from the 16th June so payoff possibly in July pay?

claden

Payout is supposed to be in July wages. 16th June seems late to be doing 1to1s I suppose the letters will start arriving any day now and people will realise the true extent of these pay cuts.

the-vortex

@cityboy, Not quite what you say. You must agree that equal pay for equal work is a fair principle.

I get time and a half for BH and Sundays and no premium if I work over 36 hours/w. Some colleagues are earning double time for BHs and Sundays and when they work over 36 hours/week. That in my honest opinion is unfair. They have received this advantage for 16 years or so and are now having to accept rates that they agreed for their colleagues when they accepted a generous pay deal in 1999 (or whenever). For the last 8 years (since I joined ) I have been paid less than them on Sundays (most of which I have worked) and BHs which I have also mostly worked. I have been disadvantaged for those 8 years, now it's fairer.
Loyalty is a one-way street!

claden

Difference being you never had that money in your wage packet. This year it's double time next year it will be time and a half probably but as long as the people not affected this year sit back and say 'I'm all right Jack screw you' Tesco will continue to take money out of our pockets. It's time for people to look at the bigger picture 15% adversely affected this year 85% next year. Wake up people before it's too damn late.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk