News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 07:24PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,343
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 143
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 133
Total: 137

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duracell

Quote from: aston04 on 28-03-16, 06:46PM
so glad this site exists otherwise I wouldn't know a thing about what is going on. I am contracted to sundays so will be affected by the changes but to date I have still not had my briefing about what is happening.
I have now asked several managers to talk to me and despite promises to get it done they still haven't. Even the booklet on the ourtesco site says 'You will have the opportunity to discuss this with your line manager in the coming days' that was dated the beginning of February and nearly two months have past since then, so much for in the coming days!!! I don't hold out much hope for the one-2-one we are supposed to have in june, maybe I should start asking about that one now to give them time  :D

Print off the info.
Show your manager.
Suggest it's necessity rather than their discretion .
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

olive oil

Aston04. You are not alone. >:D

I've given up asking now.
Managers just don't care about anybody other than themselves!!

the-vortex

Quote from: AlexM on 28-03-16, 08:01PM
Does the whole overtime being averaged out over 12 weeks and calculated into your holiday pay begin from April 1st or is that in July too? Cos if it's starting this week I'll be looking to do some overtime in the 3-4 weeks before I'm off on hols - free money, init??

From the Pay & Benefits brochure (that no-one appears to have been given.)
QuoteFrom 1 April 2016, variable elements of your pay like premiums and overtime will also be included. However, one-offs like expense claims or lump sum payments won't be included.
This means when you take holiday, we'll look at the last 12 weeks you've worked and calculate  your holiday pay using your average earnings or your contractual pay, whichever is higher.

My interpretation is that any holiday taken from April 1st will be paid on the new calculation. We'll see what I'm paid when the next payslip comes through as I'm off on April 1st & 2nd!
Loyalty is a one-way street!

the-vortex

Just found this in an actual policy document dated, February 2016
QuoteFrom 1st April 2016, holiday and bank holidays will be paid the same way across stores, distribution and the office (excluding a small population in distribution).
Your holiday pay will be paid either at your average earnings or your contractual pay whichever is the highest. Your average earnings are based on the pay you receive in the 12 weeks before your holiday.
All variable pay you receive such as overtime, premiums, or  call-out  pay, will be included in your average holiday pay. Any one-off payments will not be included

Looks like I'll be getting more straight away  :thumbup:
Loyalty is a one-way street!

bugsbunny

If Mandate secure a deal for workers with pre 1996 contracts in Ireland would the same happen here?

Duracell

Highly unlikely as its a different collective bargaining group.

Having said that, IF any dispute goes to the labour court and they make recomedations, that recommendation could have an impact on UK collegues.

In recent events the labour court recommended the company review their sick and abscence policy, a known dedicated rep on here has recently said the SYA policy is currently under review.

Coincidence?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

cupcake29

Do you think there will be many staff, who are  contracted for sundays, and on double time,  opting out of working sunday, after their payout in July?

Morris999

They can try but the most likely scenario is that they will have to completely drop the shift, as Tesco does not have to give them the hours on any other day!
All they have to do is look!
Remember according to the heat map practically every store is over manned, and if that's the case for your store then you already have the answer!

I do know afew checkout colleagues have already inquired about this and were told, yes you can move the shift but it will be Saturday evenings as that is where the store is short!
Think you already know there response to that!

optout

What if somebody just excludes sunday working from their availability sheet before the days are allocated, or if the person is already opted out of sunday working before the heat map is applied??
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Morris999

Tesco are under no legal obligation to move colleagues hours out of Sunday's and into the week, if that is what the colleague wants!
Even if they then fill out the Sunday opt out form, all that will happen is the colleague loses the shift/hours and then pay!
All Tesco has to do is look to see if they can accommodate the hours or shifts on another day/s.
The heat map is an ongoing thing and should always be consulted before any hours/shifts are agreed.
It's updated every quarter.
The above is for colleagues already contracted for Sunday's.

claden

I don't know about other stores but there is always overtime at my store, would be really easy to pick up an extra shift every week.

optout

Morris999

I am aware of what you have written.  What I mean is, what if somebody who already has a full-time contract eg mon-fri, if they optout of sunday working before it becomes an issue, this will decrease the pool of employees that tesco can choose (effectively force) to work on a Sunday.

Those already on the amount of hours that they wish to be on and who are not working sundays, cannot then be discriminated against for opting out of sunday working.

In-fact for people in this situation, I would make it a matter of urgency to optout of sunday working (whilst not working sundays) ASAP before it becomes an issue.

This will also leave limited scope for tesco to 'stretch' their contacted days, whilst trying to keep their overall hours the same. :thumbup:

Nomad

optout, "I would make it a matter of urgency to optout of Sunday working (whilst not working Sundays) ASAP before it becomes an issue."

An action that I suggested some time ago that could be an advantageous move for those who do not nor will ever wish to work on a Sunday.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

optout

well that makes two of us, now which one of us gets to be Yul Brynner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDB7GMnbUQ

:thumbup: :thumbup: ;D

Expressdude2016

Quote from: claden on 04-04-16, 02:51PM
I don't know about other stores but there is always overtime at my store, would be really easy to pick up an extra shift every week.

Possible but just because there is overtime does not mean thy will contract you a shift during week. A stores base payroll in ideal world should run at 92% of budget so theres 8% theoretically for use on overtime . Remember the sunday shift you drop still needs covered whether by existing employee or recruitment of the shift so there not going to contract you to a week day shift and contract someone to cover the sunday shift as that would put them ( if not already above the 92% threshold)

claden

I'm not talking about them giving an extra shift but there is always overtime because we're always so short staffed, I work on nights so it's probably different for day staff but I'm confident if I gave up my Sunday I could easily replace it with another day during the week as an overtime shift.

claden

My manager mentioned something about an online petition anyone know about it or have a link?

optout

would like to know about this myself

antico

Only petition I've  seen is on change .org  in ref to B & Q  . its by Kevin Smith and asks that they Don't use the living wage as an excuse to cut pay and benefits.

optout

anybody care to start a tesdaw one. I would myself but personal circumstances at present prevent me.

ps. I sounded so mysterious then. ;)

claden

Quote from: optout on 22-04-16, 09:13PM
anybody care to start a tesdaw one. I would myself but personal circumstances at present prevent me.

ps. I sounded so mysterious then. ;)
If I knew how I would but I have no clue where to start?

optout

come on people pull your fingers out, the previous poster claden needs advice. :thumbup:

OpShunned

Here's where the B&Q manager has started his own petition via change.org

https://www.change.org/p/don-t-use-living-wage-as-excuse-to-cut-pay-benefits?source_location=discover_feed

Kevin Smith started this petition with a single signature, and now has 140,673 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.

...and here's where you can pitch your own petition. B&Q's gripes similar to those of Tesco's minions.

https://www.change.org/start-a-petition

chris9997

It is all very well using benefits to pay the living wage in 2020 and to keep profits boyant for the shareholders but at some point the bubble will burst and it will all come tumbling down as when the store staffing hours have been cut to the bone and the staff benefits have been all but eroded the wages will still have to rise.
Even some customers are aware of the latest changes and see staff treated badly.

spooner

Alice Beer was discussing the loss of premiums within different companies to subsidise the new living wage on today's This Morning . Worth a watch if you have catch up TV .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk