News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 05:04AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 321
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 306
Total: 307

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me

Hammer10.  Here here ditto  >:D

jonnythesaint

Quote from: Nomad on 01-02-16, 01:59PM
Quote from: jonnythesaint on 01-02-16, 12:38PM
.......... I'd like to know what the general feeling was among staff when people who started after a certain date were to be on worse terms and conditions that they were. Knowing the people I work with at my store it was probably a "we're alright jack" attitude and stuff the new starters. Did you really think they'd leave you alone forever .........

If my memory is correct the scenario of new staff being on less favourable T&C has often been raised with union and the answer from them was along the lines that there was nothing they could do and the company has the right to offer whatever T&Cs they like to new starters.

I for one would have applauded any new starter who took the time to discovered that they were being offer inferior T&Cs, and on doing so turned the job down upon .  Enough 'turn downs' and today things could be different.

"sorry, did you say you want me to do the same job as my neighbour for £40 less a week ?", are you NUTS.
USDAW saying "there's not a lot they can do" seems to happen a lot.

I'm afraid turning down a job isn't an option for most. Well it certainly wasn't for me.

gomezz

I am seeing some two-way hypocrisy on here.  Old-timers complaining about not getting support from new-timers about losing their more favourable T&C this time around yet where were they when the company introduced the less favourable T&C for new starters?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Nomad

@jonnythesaint The real point was older longer serving staff were not happy either with the inferior T&Cs being offered to new starters, and it was often asked if it could be fought.

Did not take a crystal ball for them to see the possible future consequences.

@gomezz they were trying to get union to fight against it, but their approaches were ignored/turn down.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Hammer10

Not to worry just started as I mean to go on done my shopping at asda .

Duracell

Quote from: gomezz on 01-02-16, 02:24PM
I am seeing some two-way hypocrisy on here.  Old-timers complaining about not getting support from new-timers about losing their more favourable T&C this time around yet where were they when the company introduced the less favourable T&C for new starters?

Anger aside.
Under the procedural agreement, it is pretty much done via the two at the top for each side not even via the committee if there is no change to existing contracts, facilitated by the fact it is not changing anyone but the creation of new. So to imply current staff have any control over the creation of new terms for new starters is a bit niaeve.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

OpShunned

I think we should observe a minute's silence in recognition of those poor USDAW reps in store who will die a death when given the floor to outline the positivity of the new pay deal, whilst having to bite their cheek.

Having knocked USDAW on the head last year, I still feel sorry for the poor buggers who have been betrayed by those at the top.

OpShunned

Rebecca E****
• 5 mins ago
Just goes to show sensationalism of the press, it's a shame for TESCO that it was leaked because the real information would have made the press for the right reasons. Well done.

??? 8-) ???

Where do they find these idiots?

nightcat

StinkyPoo

Hammer10, nearly always shop at Asda :)

craftyarchie

Quote from: OpShunned on 01-02-16, 06:38PM
Where do they find these idiots?

The same place they find the inumerate imbeciles who think that including £1000 of discount is achievable when I don't get paid £10,000 a year!

Monkeymagic

Must admit I'm losing faith somewhat. I have many years service and was disappointed when our share price crashed due to the poor accounting scandal, then no pay rise for the first time ever, then my pension reduced, and now this. It seems our past, present and future has been devalued all in less than a year. Am also wondering about our Union, only really a member because I know they have a big impact on pay negotiations. Would hope for some better news in the future so that new colleagues can feel the two way loyalty I once experienced.

the-vortex

@Monkeymagic, not poor accounting fraudulent accounting  >:(
Loyalty is a one-way street!

amigaboi

I never understand why anyone cares.  Do a good job and it is expected as your norm every day.  Do a bad job ditto.

Lunamoonhare

Quote from: the rule book on 01-02-16, 06:58AM
So is every one being equalised to the lowest common denominator?

No sick pay.
No double time
No time and a half
No night premuims

Not being nasty here but I have noticed over the years the people who are on the lowest contracts are not exactly the sharpest tools in the box. I am generalising here . I don't mean all the staff.

But so many can't even work out there own pay slips.
Can't work out holiday entitlement.
Don't understand how bank holidays work.

With out a doubt the staff are not of the same calibre as of the 80s and 90s.

The future of the big T is only as good as the people they employ.

I joined last year and I admit: I don't understand my payslip or how bank holidays work. This is nothing to do with my intellect, rather the fact that I never completed my induction and have never had it explained to me.  The confusion being further compounded by the fact that the pay slips and bank holiday arrangements are the most overly complicated I have had the misfortune to deal with.

lucgeo

Indeed Lunamoonhare

I made my feelings pretty clear in my response to rule book :thumbdown:

Years ago we always followed the code of "share the knowledge" as nobody is born knowing everything, and it really gets my goat when a newbie asks questions to a longer serving colleague and receives an audible tut, or tries to embarrass them by not knowing, when they have obviously had to be shown themselves in the past.

Low contract colleagues get little or no breaks now, (unlike the 90min full timers )so how are they to build up a rapport, friendship, or just join in conversations where these things are discussed. A lot are very isolated in this respect!

If it's any consolation, not many people do understand their payslips or how bank holidays are worked out! As I can verify when I was a rep and constantly approached by new and old timer staff trying to figure out their bank holiday entitlements!! Especially if you have a wages clerk like ours, who c**ks up on a weekly basis, codes the majority of things wrong then tries to blame the manager for doing the exceptions wrong! And of course they never work lates or weekends so that's a good % of staff who never get to ask for any payslip errors to be explained. 
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

the rule book

Type in Tesco payslips explained.
Even on this site they have a PDF explain the Tesco payslips

You managed to find vle. But you can't managed to type payslips explained.

Husband of worker

My wife has worked for this shower of s##t for over 20 years,,, 4 years ago she had cancer and could not continue to do her normal work ( baker ) as it was to heavy for her,,, but hey her manager found alternative work for her,,, unfortunately it meant contract her to work 52 weeks on a Sunday,,, so now she is told f##k you your double time is now single time ,,, lose £90 a month,,,, we at TESCO Plc will use this to pay for a pay rise to all the rest of the workers so it won't come out of our pocket,,, but hey here is the sucker punch,,, because we are relying o n the 85% not to back the 15% ,,, this pay rise is over 3 years,,, then all you mugs will go onto zero hours contracts ,, because USDAW owe us millions of pounds,,, because we bailed them out a few year ago when they almost went bankrupt,,, and we don't give anything for nothing... Work it out,,, you get nothing unless you stick together,,, oh and this year floor staff,,, last year team leaders,,,, next year guess it's the managers ( those ring fenced this time ) ,,,  :-X

cosmosmallpiece

Husband of worker if she is contracted for Sundays and she is on double time it will go to time & a half. Still a lose sad to say.

Longservicenotworthahoot

Ok as a Sunday worker contracted with these changes in the terms can we simply drop the hours and no longer work the sunday.

cosmosmallpiece

Yes you can under the the Sunday working opt-out, but Tesco do not have to offer you other shift.

olive oil

Ok, so how is this going to work in express. I'm contracted 5 days out of 7 and have worked most Sundays at D/T for the last few years, never liked it but told I have to do my fair share.
So, can I opt out from July for both Sundays and Bank Holidays and still do 5 out of 7?
It will affect our store massively and every other Express, if people decide to opt out.

I'm sure the manager will say your payment is towards topping up the Sundays worked at time and a half under the new contract and you will still have to work them. (What, work Sundays for the rest of my time with Tesco, which could be another 20 years for a poxy 18 months cushion payment.)

Why is there no option for redundancy, at the very least give the loyal, long standing staff a choice!

the rule book

The negative affect of cutting long term experienced and loyal staff wages will be so detrimental to big T. They may as well CLOSE the older stores now.

Shooting your self in the foot is an under statement.

Firstly hireing staff on lower and lower rates of overtime and pay was the slimeiset thing they started.

Secoundly rather than bring down everyone's pay they should have brought it to the highest level.

Then we find out MANAGERS are still on DOUBLE time.

So its only the long term staff at shop floor level paying everyone else's wage rises.

The staff you have seriously upset are the back bone of Tesco they will find ways to get even I would imagine.

Firstly the cancellation of union fees.
Then saye will be cancelled
Then baye
Pension isn't worth a flying ......now so expect them to look for alternatives.
Sickness expect that to increase
Damages,waste to be higher
Negative attitude to customers
Lack of good will...gone.

Then the best for last... Welcome to aldi for your shopping.

If any one who's pay isn't going to be screwed over doesn't think this way then your a true Tesco soldier.. O and an ejit

Morris999

@ the rule book

Management pay is still being discussed by the relevant people and they won't find out till sometime in the spring!
Knowing Tesco they will announce this sometime in April/May after EOY reviews have been completed saying you are now on performance related pay again!(they are refusing to answer at this moment in time whether Team managers are on performance related pay or not!)
If you honestly believe that managers are going to come out of this better than the long serving colleagues who are affected then you are deluding yourself!

Team managers are going to be shafted big style in there coming pay review!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk