News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 05:41AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,338
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 110
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 99
Total: 100

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BANDERSNATCH

Quote from: Loki on 26-01-16, 10:12PM
Interestingly, The 2004 Annual Pay Review established the principle that Night Premiums would increase each year in line with the Core Award.

However, in the 2013 Annual Pay Review although both night premiums increased in line with the core award, the Company "expressed preference" not to use the pay pot to fund an increase to Night Premium 1. They claimed this was due to significant improvements being made in previous years and there being no issue in attracting or retaining staff to work late in the evenings.

Food for thought.

In that should I read " If you don't like it you can bug#er off and we will replace you with a few zero hour contract teenagers " ?

the rule book

So is every one being equalised to the lowest common denominator?

No sick pay.
No double time
No time and a half
No night premuims

Not being nasty here but I have noticed over the years the people who are on the lowest contracts are not exactly the sharpest tools in the box. I am generalising here . I don't mean all the staff.

But so many can't even work out there own pay slips.
Can't work out holiday entitlement.
Don't understand how bank holidays work.

With out a doubt the staff are not of the same calibre as of the 80s and 90s.

The future of the big T is only as good as the people they employ.

the rule book

Check the OurTesco website and you will see they confirm this change will negatively affect 15% of their workforce (50000 collegues) And that is according to Tesco themselves.

50000 very annoyed staff will absolutely destroy tescos to the core.

lucgeo

the rule book

In the 80's and 90's and previous decades, staff were mainly employed full time, and they were trained properly. They had work buddies and were not allowed to do anything on that department without supervision, for the length of shadow time deemed appropriate for that department.

Fast forward....new colleagues are now just put on dept. on minimal contracts and expected to learn as they go? So a new colleague on a four hour shift per day, will probably spend half, if not more, of that shift on checkout relief. Nobody has the time or inclination to show them what to do. Their manager is probably in another meeting, the ex T/L of that dept. refuses point blank to coach on principle! They have PDA's but don't really understand what they're for, or what information they hold? They just use the section relevant to their department, parrot fashion, because that's all they've been shown. If they were to ask their manager why do we do it this way?? They would probably just get "because you do" as the manager has never been shown different or explained to either!

Yes we have a couple of "naive" colleagues who missed the brain train, but on the whole, our lowest contract workers are a bunch of good people who are just trying to get a foot in the door, hoping to get more hour contracts.

Anyone who gets off their arse and tries to earn their own money, is worth my time and respect.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

mollydoll

Can we request more contracted hours to make up the shortfall from losing the Sunday premium ? 

lucgeo

You can always request more hours, but only if their are more hours available on yours, or another department. Bearing in mind that a more hours position will probably be based on a flexi contract.

mollydoll

This might sound pathetic but I am so upset right now .  Very tearful today . Such a lot of money to lose each month when I'm struggling already .

bigcheese

Perhaps we should do as another union I was with. They threatened to boycott the company which would cost them far more money than they would save with the pay cut,

We have over 100,000 members working for Tesco so this would give us more power than we have at the moment. The company might take notice of this because it would cost them a lot of money, so perhaps we have the power. With the lose of wages more staff will shop elsewhere as their wages will not go so far, and we no longer have to spend the tokens in the company shop.

We are headed back to times when we had work houses, we are never thought of as even social house is far to high for any of us to afford, living in London never gets cheaper, location allowance has not gone up in my store for 10 years but the cost of living in my borough has gone up about 70% in that time. >:D >:D :thumbup:

lucgeo

Mollydoll

You most certainly do not sound pathetic. It is obvious that you have genuine worries. Is there nowhere local that you could pick up a second job for a few hours to help the shortfall? Have you contacted your local citizens advice with regard to any help you could apply for? Rent or rate rebate from the local council, due to your reduction in wage?

It is hard to offer helpful advice, not being an expert, and not knowing your personal circumstances. You really need to speak to agencies in your area who can offer professional advice.

Fair play

Regulat pain this is only if your contracted other wise you get nothing even though I done every other Sunday for over twenty years I will be out of pocket big time as well as my pension being a lot less now . I am so angry at the moment  >:(

[gmod]Please do not post ipad emoticons.[/gmod]

Jambomakaveli

May have missed it, but having read through this thread as well as various leaked newspaper reports....

I don't ever see a mention of the Sunday premium being done away with??

I am contracted Sunday's, and get a normal single time wage for my shift, as well as the Sunday premium which works out at around £30 per shift. So 4 Sunday's a month would be £120 lost if this went.

Was just wondering as I'd heard of double time going as well as the night premium from 10pm - 12am, but nothing with regards to the contracted Sunday premium.

Duracell

Quote from: the rule book on 01-02-16, 07:08AM
Check the OurTesco website and you will see they confirm this change will negatively affect 15% of their workforce (50000 collegues) And that is according to Tesco themselves.

Although the statement is probably correct in the number of staff affected, the percentage is a misrepresentation of the situation.

15% at 50,000 is of, total 350,000 staff. Which would be Stores, Head office, Distribution and all managerial levels, banking, finance, support network, and all subsidiaries .
Unfortunately the cloudy consultation hasn't taken place with ALL staff only the the consultative group in retail so, the true %.

"The change will negatively affect ** % of those consulted about the change." Would of be a lot closer to and Unclear majority than 85% suggests.

%'s seriously flawed.

It's getting to look a bit scandalous.

Jambom the specalition is sunday premium will reduce from 100% to 50%.
Contracted premium and O/T premium.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Freezerqueen

Whoever is getting the payout in July keep an eye on your wage. I m one of the ex t/l's who got the payout last year and they put it as  part of our monthly wage!!! I paid an extra £800 tax & ni on top of what i would have paid on my wage and the payout (hope that makes sense). I went onto my tax account online and apparently I'm on £25k a year now I'm a ga. Just a thought as they will prob do this again.

Mickymouse1962

Well security in my store will be no body ion Sunday's and bank holiday so free for all

mollydoll

Quote from: Freezerqueen on 01-02-16, 11:19AM
Whoever is getting the payout in July keep an eye on your wage. I m one of the ex t/l's who got the payout last year and they put it as  part of our monthly wage!!! I paid an extra £800 tax & ni on top of what i would have paid on my wage and the payout (hope that makes sense). I went onto my tax account online and apparently I'm on £25k a year now I'm a ga. Just a thought as they will prob do this again.
i did wonder if that will happen . Can this be sorted with the tax office or is it another hassle to contend with ? 

Freezerqueen

I don't fancy sitting on the phone for hours to the tax office so going to do a tax return in april.

Jambomakaveli

Quote from: Duracell on 01-02-16, 11:18AM
Quote from: the rule book on 01-02-16, 07:08AM

Jambom the specalition is sunday premium will reduce from 100% to 50%.
Contracted premium and O/T premium.

Thanks mate, I'm off to work shortly so will prob find out hopefully. Thanks again.

Daftpunk

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/10/living-wage-tesco-dave-lewis-aldi-morrisons_n_8519306.html DD is going too blame the cuts on the national living wage as he stated in this article in November

Expressdude2016

Quote from: mollydoll on 01-02-16, 11:30AM
Quote from: Freezerqueen on 01-02-16, 11:19AM
i did wonder if that will happen . Can this be sorted with the tax office or is it another hassle to contend with ?

The maximum pay out would be around 1900-2000 for a person losing the double time as it would work out at around a loss of 25 pounds per Sunday.So Tax should not change for this.

jonnythesaint

Quote from: the rule book on 01-02-16, 06:58AM
So is every one being equalised to the lowest common denominator?

No sick pay.
No double time
No time and a half
No night premuims

Not being nasty here but I have noticed over the years the people who are on the lowest contracts are not exactly the sharpest tools in the box. I am generalising here . I don't mean all the staff.

But so many can't even work out there own pay slips.
Can't work out holiday entitlement.
Don't understand how bank holidays work.

With out a doubt the staff are not of the same calibre as of the 80s and 90s.

The future of the big T is only as good as the people they employ.

In my experience, this is typical of the snobbish attitude of people who have worked for Tesco a long time. This is the reason there's cliques on the shop floor. Why people don't feel inclined to stick together.  It's a disgraceful attitude to take.

I've worked for Tesco for five years, and I've argued with long term employees asking them why should they be on a better contract than myself, I'm yet to have been given a valid reason. Obviously I wasn't round at the time, but I'd like to know what the general feeling was among staff when people who started after a certain date were to be on worse terms and conditions that they were. Knowing the people I work with at my store it was probably a "we're alright jack" attitude and stuff the new starters. Did you really think they'd leave you alone forever? This was always going to happen when they knew the long term employees were in the minority.

When I read the reports last night I was upset and annoyed, even though they probably wont affect me. However, reading things like this, and knowing the attitude of the vast majority of the long term employees I work with, I'm beginning to have different thoughts.

part of the problem

Remember its not the long term staffs fault they are on more money. Tesco chose to change it for new staff.
If all staff were also told they now are on flexi contracts like the newest staff their would be similar uproar but by a larger % of staff. The vast majority of the longer serving staff unless twisted would be more than happy for staff to give all new ones double time for sunday. Don't let Tesco decisions turn staff against staff.

cosmosmallpiece

Part of the problem your words are so true

jonnythesaint

Quote from: part of the problem on 01-02-16, 01:17PM
Remember its not the long term staffs fault they are on more money. Tesco chose to change it for new staff.
If all staff were also told they now are on flexi contracts like the newest staff their would be similar uproar but by a larger % of staff. The vast majority of the longer serving staff unless twisted would be more than happy for staff to give all new ones double time for sunday. Don't let Tesco decisions turn staff against staff.
When you see quotes like "newer starters aren't the sharpest tool in the box" and "new staff don't have the calibre of 80s &90s staff" it's hard not to get wound up.

Hammer10

Have now booked Christmas off they can stuff there Boxing Day overtime up there u know what.

Nomad

Quote from: jonnythesaint on 01-02-16, 12:38PM
.......... I'd like to know what the general feeling was among staff when people who started after a certain date were to be on worse terms and conditions that they were. Knowing the people I work with at my store it was probably a "we're alright jack" attitude and stuff the new starters. Did you really think they'd leave you alone forever .........

If my memory is correct the scenario of new staff being on less favourable T&C has often been raised with union and the answer from them was along the lines that there was nothing they could do and the company has the right to offer whatever T&Cs they like to new starters.

I for one would have applauded any new starter who took the time to discovered that they were being offer inferior T&Cs, and on doing so turned the job down upon .  Enough 'turn downs' and today things could be different.

"sorry, did you say you want me to do the same job as my neighbour for £40 less a week ?", are you NUTS.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk