News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 10:30AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 411
Total: 413

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melanie

I am intrigued to say the least. If it is a buy out, hope its a good bit double bubble for me!

mosquito

Would I be correct in thinking the turn around bonus will be issued and not taking into affect any reduction in Sunday premiums if removed ????
And if this is to pay for the living wage, will the extra pay for G,A s reflect up the pay scale?
Just wondering cos being a team leader in express I would not be happy running the store for only £1.00 an hour more than a general assistant??

burns2015

Turnaround Bonus if achieved is based on all earnings up to end of week 52.As for living wage any ga and team leaders are same work level so get same increase. Hope that helps.

Red Rock

Quote from: mosquito on 24-01-16, 01:49AM
Would I be correct in thinking the turn around bonus will be issued and not taking into affect any reduction in Sunday premiums if removed ????
And if this is to pay for the living wage, will the extra pay for G,A s reflect up the pay scale?
Just wondering cos being a team leader in express I would not be happy running the store for only £1.00 an hour more than a general assistant??

It makes me laugh; you took the job on the basis of the wage offered at the time.  Now you come on here moaning you would not be happy running the store for only £1.00 more than GA.  You should be grateful that you have a job that pays a bit more for you to enjoy some luxuries.

£1 extra say times 36 x 4 = £144 extra every 4 weeks; a GA would have to work some OT to get that extra pay. 

Remember : EVERY LITTLE HELPS.  😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Or as a wiseman once said :  "He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented
                                            with what he would like to have"

AlexM

Red Rock clearly doesn't know what an express team leaders job looks like!

Also, £1 an hour more than a GA is the same as step up pay for running a shift!

picktocube

Quote from: Mickymouse1962 on 23-01-16, 09:39PM
well I would look forward  to  a buy out of Sunday and bank holidays  premium  means I won't be working over easter this year

If there are changes to Sunday and BH premiums ,it will not change that quick .

AlexM

Is this just for the double timers? Or is time & half likely to go as well?

jonty

Quote from: AlexM on 24-01-16, 11:40AM

Don't feed the troll ;)

Red Rock

Quote from: AlexM on 24-01-16, 11:40AM

Never said anything about what the job looks like!  I'm pointing out the fact that TLs take on the appointment with the offer of the wage set at the time, but then to moan about the wage structure seems pointless.  If the cap fits wear it, otherwise, step down, there are always someone else who would appreciate the job.  People are jumping to conclusions before anything is put forward so Calm Down Dear!

AlexM

Yes, when the job was offered the pay was £1.61 per hour more. If the GA wage is increased to £8.20 per hour as has been suggested then the extra responsibility (quite a lot of it in express) will only attract an extra 80p per hour approx if the team leaders aren't also increased accordingly.
They would also be on less per hour than a GA "stepping up" who would get £8.20 + £1.00 per hour of duty shift - more than their team leader!

Hence the same problem tesco have with recruiting managers now - the pitiful pay differential between the job levels just isn't worth the extra hassle.

Also in Express, the TL is basically a duty manager, with all the responsibility, but less money.

Red Rock

As I previously mentioned people are jumping to conclusions on various matters, hence it would be best to await and then see the outcome of big Chiefs announcement.

AlexM

I think whatever conclusion we jump to, the forthcoming announcement will likely be to the detriment of the employees.

oliver

It always has been the detriment of the employee,look at what as been taken away from us in the last 20 years,it's all about saving money now to keep the company going,and all agreed by usdaw it's a disgrace,

oliver

Also usdaws top brass getting big money like Tesco top brass,usdaw would not  want to lose all those members money paying in each week now would they,so tesco have got us all where they want us.

formerscoboy

Quote from: Red Rock on 24-01-16, 11:28AM
Quote from: mosquito on 24-01-16, 01:49AM

It makes me laugh; you took the job on the basis of the wage offered at the time.  Now you come on here moaning you would not be happy running the store for only £1.00 more than GA.  You should be grateful that you have a job that pays a bit more for you to enjoy some luxuries.

£1 extra say times 36 x 4 = £144 extra every 4 weeks; a GA would have to work some OT to get that extra pay. 

Remember : EVERY LITTLE HELPS.  😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Or as a wiseman once said :  "He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented
                                            with what he would like to have"

You take the job based on the money offered yes but you also look at the cash differential between your previous role. I.e extra responsibilities = extra pay. If you view this figure as fair you accept. I think the point is for the big t to close this monetary gap without changing responsibility is unfair and maybe viewed as discrimination

penguin

QuoteAlso in Express, the TL is basically a duty manager, with all the responsibility, but less money.

Only real difference between a deputy and team leader in express is deputy looks after holidays and reviews, as far as day to day routines and the running of duty shifts go team leaders and deputys are doing the same role with team leaders on a lot less money, no wonder so many team leaders are leaving express these days.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

the rule book

Had a long read of this thread.
So the issue is some staff in stores get paid double time where others don't. But how many different rates of overtime are being offered at the moment?

Some staff are on time and a half while others are on time and a third or something like that if I'm correct.

While I understand any company wants to hire its labour for as cheap as possible , I can not for the life of me defend a union that will not take strike action or even legal action against a employer that is targeting its employees because of its own mistakes.

Let's be honest here Tesco are in trouble with the serious fraud office because of insane decisions made by the top brass.
The people now paying for this is the average worker, pensions closed, overtime reduced, a union that will not fight for the workers and now we have the threat of overtime rates cut.

If loyalty counts for nothing then I suggest tescos will reap what they sow.

the rule book

Sunday working in shops and betting shops
Staff don't have to work on Sundays if they're:

shop workers who started before 26 August 1994 and are still with the same employer (in Northern Ireland, this is before 4 December 1997)
betting shop workers who started before 2 January 1995 and are still with the same employer (in Northern Ireland, this is before 26 February 2004)
Employers only have to pay staff a higher rate for working on Sundays if the contract says so.

All staff should be told about their Sunday working rights when they first start work.

Opting out of Sunday working
All shop and betting shop workers can opt out of Sunday working unless Sunday is the only day they have been employed to work on.

An employee can opt out of Sunday working at any time, even if they have agreed to work on Sundays in their contract.

The employee must give their employer 3 months' notice that they want to opt out of Sunday working. They must continue to work on Sundays during the 3 month notice period if their employer wants them to.

An employer who needs staff to work on Sundays must tell them in writing that they can opt out. They must do this within 2 months of the person starting work - if they don't, only 1 month's notice is needed to opt out.

jonty

Quick query regarding Sundays...

If somebody who is contracted to work Sundays does another day in the week as a one off, to cover holiday, will they lose their extra bit of pay for working a Saturday instead of a Sunday?

burns2015

the rule book only 2 premiums for a sunday double time and time and half.

Daftpunk

After reading through the entire thread I have noticed the individual who initially posted the original comment has only posted one more comment in the entire thread and that was on page 1. Just an observation

[gmod]Which could indicate a lot or indicate nothing. Just an observation a fact.[/gmod]

the rule book

In that case if there is only double time and time and a half. It will be all premuims including time and a half. As time and a half will now be the biggest wage to pay out on a Sunday through  out the company not the double time staff.

So I can see the entire Sunday becoming a single time day with a possible  5 pound bonus for working it shift.
Just a theory ,night shifts would be interesting to see how they get anyone to work if that's the case.

the postman

Personally think the original comment was posted was correct.but the person who posted has been busted by the powers above.v sensitive info to be leaked,it wouldn't take them long to narrow down who it was.

mixerman

in my store we have a nightshift security guard,who is on the old contract and he works most Saturday nights in the bws for overtime,we know he earns approx. £200 for every Saturday night he works,alot of us think this is disgusting,no wonder the company wants to scrap double time payments

SAMCRO

A colleague asked about these "rumours" last night on Yammer - that post has now been removed. Read into that what you will. Something big is happening, there are too many similarities in how this is unfolding to the restructure debacle last year. All the best folks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk