News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:23PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 288
Total: 289

Food Stock Managers

Started by beentheredoneit, 01-10-19, 08:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stockstaffreduction

Quote from: Hammer10 on 16-09-20, 09:57AM
I am a manager ,it is managers who don’t look at the bigger picture for the good of the store that annoy me I have managed bakery,nights,produce,dairy,stock control,grocery,at the end of the day all you are doing is making sure your team are doing what is needed to be done and that is serve the customer and take lots of money.I have been with the company nearly 41 years and worked my way up I am not a graduate just given a job because I have qualifications I did it the hard way and learnt a lot from different store managers which I put to good use each and every day.

just to give you my perspective. As I have said before I do not think I am special and I do not want special treatment. I really wish Managers would understand that they are disposable, and I am a manager. I am not far behind your 41 years service. ( Sir Ian Was in Charge when I Joined)  You maybe a high performing manager, however this is what the business requires, it is not a favour you are doing Tesco.
Some of the food stock managers including myself just want clarity, like I have said before, different managers are being told different things, so please do not hate me for wanting to stay in my role and continue to do my role just because Tesco have said the role does not exist.
I totally disagree with the rubbish about the jobs market and finding another job because of the current circumstances. There are jobs in my area, and I know this is more about where you are in the UK, as some regions do not have jobs.
As a previous post has mentioned, they are being told if they do not move by March, then they will get dismissed, so why I am not being told this?
Like other food stock managers, I accept my fate whether it is forced into another role or they decide to dismiss me, and I do not fear being dismissed, I can make that clear now.

Tesco are a business and in your store and community you may feel important, however once you leave Tesco you will realise that Tesco is not as much as focal point of what is happening in the world as you think.
If you disagree with mine or other choices, then that is your opinion. Next year perhaps when 50% of the Team Manager population in some formats are being asked to be Shift Leaders or similar ( my thoughts not fact) then there could be a lot managers asking themselves very similar questions about their future with Tesco.

NightAndDay

A lot of people gain perspective after they leave Tesco, they see that in the grand scheme of things, Tesco is like Antarctica, a once collossal land mass gradually shrinking due to an ever changing environment. They are just one of many massive companies, and all things told one of the worst in the world for how they treat their staff and their social responsibilities. The worst thing that could ever happen at Tesco is that they successfully delude you into thinking there's only jobseekers allowance outside of Tesco.

beentheredoneit

Quote from: BBA on 16-09-20, 12:54AM
Quote from: stockstaffreduction on 13-09-20, 06:56PM
I have been offered/suggested/asked/informed other roles are available, which so far I have declined.
I use the above words as im unclear as to the intentions of Tesco in terms of formal action.
However at no point has a suggestion been made that if I continue to decline these offers that I could find myself in a difficult situation.
If anyone has been told any different then I would be interested to know.

My role was in the annual review in July.
I have been told that if I don’t take any of the roles available now, come March when it’s the end of my annual review if there’s a manager role there and I don’t want to accept it then I would get constructive dismissal and re-employed into that role.... scare Tactics
If you have been told what you wrote, you have been lied to. I suggest you either take it up with their boss, or take out a grievance. This is so wrong.
beentheredoneit

beentheredoneit

I am finding that the positions previously offered me are being taken by other displaced managers, so getting more complex

Does the role of Stock Manager exist anywhere???

Perhaps they are just waiting for us old ones to die off (Sir Leslie Porter was Chairman when I joined, by the way)
beentheredoneit

Wirey2020

No stock manager been on here to say their position is safe....the company’s apparent logic to justify this move is if you have more than 15 member of staff then the change doesn’t apply and yet there are no stock managers left on my group which includes all the extras.

Redshoes

Some things are very clear. The role has been deemed no longer needed, at some point it will end. At that time you will either be in another role or you will have to go. I am just trying to say that if you want to go you can't guarantee a lump sum.
As a manager, no matter the background you have the ability to learn a new role. You either did that by going up the ranks or by coming in with a degree. The route into the job does not matter but you got the job by showing you had the ability.
Moving into a new role is something that happens. For managers and colleagues. There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience from stock control that you can take to any other job in the store. If you want to stay with the company the reality is that the company are not going to continue to pay you in this role forever.
The services managers are moving. There are going to be more role that will be not far behind. Sticking to your guns may win you the battle but at the end of the day it is the war that you need to win. You may win and get the big payout but unless that is enough to get you through until you retire it is not a great time to be out if work.

Redshoes

I don't intend to sound harsh or unsympathetic but I'm unclear on what you are holding out for as in if you are wanting to stay with the company or leave with a lump sum. The stay as is will not be a long term option. I would not want to be in your position as I have been in that position twice now so I know what it feels like. I did at least have clear end dates when it happened to me. On one hand you have more time but on the other you will still have to move or go. Others that are going to be displaced are stepping into roles that you have turned down. Could even be people from other stores. You don't have nice options but at some point you will need to go one way or another.

Me2015

Quote from: Redshoes on 17-09-20, 05:41AM
Some things are very clear. The role has been deemed no longer needed, at some point it will end. At that time you will either be in another role or you will have to go. I am just trying to say that if you want to go you can't guarantee a lump sum.
As a manager, no matter the background you have the ability to learn a new role. You either did that by going up the ranks or by coming in with a degree. The route into the job does not matter but you got the job by showing you had the ability.
Moving into a new role is something that happens. For managers and colleagues. There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience from stock control that you can take to any other job in the store. If you want to stay with the company the reality is that the company are not going to continue to pay you in this role forever.
The services managers are moving. There are going to be more role that will be not far behind. Sticking to your guns may win you the battle but at the end of the day it is the war that you need to win. You may win and get the big payout but unless that is enough to get you through until you retire it is not a great time to be out if work.
“Suitable alternative”

lucgeo

If it is so straightforward why has it dragged on for so long? If some stores are stating 15 or more people, the position remains, and others being told, take what you're offered or go down the dismissal route, as the role is no longer? If it was so clear cut, those managers would have been forced down that route from the start.
I feel, Tesco have dug themselves into a big hole here...they hoped to " persuade" all affected managers into new positions, stating no redundancy, yet stating the role is redundant, with exception of certain stores.
Also the fact that there is surplus displaced managers already, all vying for the same vacancies, would indicate that Tesco have limited alternative positions, suitable or otherwise, which will result in no positions available, with ultimate redundancies.
The stock control manager is one of the highest regarded in terms of knowledge, and until recently, was on a higher band rate. Those with years of experience under their belt, are highly sought after by other retailers, and the private sector, such as the NHS, who are always keen to recruit for their own stock management teams, offering 8-5 mon - fri.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

If the job role you had no longer exists your employer has two options, make you a realistic offer of a mutually acceptable suitable alternative role or failing that you are made redundant.

Suitable encompasses many aspects including but not limited to:
Number of hours of work (20,30,40 etc).
Actual work hours (early,late,night).
Days worked (weekdays,weekends, Sunday).
remuneration package  for hours worked.
Distance/time to work.
Availability/accessibility of transport to/from work.
Cost of transport (personal or public transport).
Personal time commitments (children,relatives,spouses,caring responsibilities etc). 
Loss of skill in your chosen trade/profession.

Any one or combination of the above may make the new role unsuitable for your circumstances  Consider your reasons/options carefully as the list of variables is considerable.

People have won constructive dismissal claims after being removed from their role and then left in limbo (dangling).

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: King1999 on 14-09-20, 08:15AM
My experience is staff are far from expendable after recent cuts as for managers,what exactly some are paid for god knows.Winding up staff and bullying maybe.
Overpaid shelf fillers.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

NightAndDay

Quote from: Redshoes on 17-09-20, 05:41AM

"Sticking to your guns may win you the battle but at the end of the day it is the war that you need to win. You may win and get the big payout but unless that is enough to get you through until you retire it is not a great time to be out if work."

Let's look at the alternatives shall we.

1. Staying in limbo, everyone can see that something will be done with the people still in the role sooner or later, not a bad option if you're actively looking for another job, as Lucgeo said, plenty of cases where employees "left in limbo" have won redundancy lawsuits.

2. Leave and get a new job, fair enough outcome, but the employees would be depriving themselves of what they're legally owed, namely redundancy money.

3. Accept a new placement, from what has been said on this thread, the managers are either cajoling/bullying the colleagues made to be redendant into new roles which would offer worse conditions than their current role or in the worst cases forcing them to resign (probably the good old "chiller chat" technique or false claims of gross misconduct), of course the colleagues reaffirming their rights while at the same time being proactive in their job search is the best decision.

In short, getting redundancy is the best outcome and rightfully the only outcome the effected should take, and anyway, worst case on the job front is they wait 6 months and apply for a team manager role again, their redundancy in most cases will be more than enough to tide them over.

Me2015

It’s 12 months for managers now

Redshoes

And if they wait the 12 months and come back the fresh stock control job role will still not be available.

We have several signed off but not appointed managers in our area along with a few in limbo. If the large stores go to the same structure change as the small stores there will be even more managers displaced. I don't have inside info but the word is that it's only because of Covid that the new structure has not been rolled out but it has delayed it rather than stopping it.

NightAndDay

To complicate matters, the covid infection rate is now back to April levels in the UK of circa 4,000 new cases a day, the government is looking at imposing new restrictions next week, we may be heading for another lockdown, demand at Tesco will skyrocket, but after how they treated their mass of temp workers, I have a feeling that recruiting for these positions will be a bit harder the 2nd time around.

penguin

It wont, loads out of work will jump at the chance of at least a few weeks work and the hope of a possible full time job in Tesco, and the company know it.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

just curious

A Few weeks work yes ( Especially in the run up to Christmas - Seasonal work ) , As for a Possible full time job in Tosco most unlikely these days as its nearly all part time / flexi slave labour .

lucgeo

Only managers get full time positions these days.

lucgeo

"And if they wait the 12 months and come back the fresh stock control job role will still not be available."

They won't really care then will they ??? They'll have had their payout, cleared a few debts, had a break, or whatever...then either found another job, or just took something for the twelve months to tick them over, then apply for "suitable" management roles of their choosing.

penguin

Quote from: just curious on 20-09-20, 10:52AM
A Few weeks work yes ( Especially in the run up to Christmas - Seasonal work ) , As for a Possible full time job in Tosco most unlikely these days as its nearly all part time / flexi slave labour .

True but when we had all the corona temps back in March the management at least in the store I worked at were telling them full time jobs could be on offer for those who did well, and yet none of them got a full time job, a couple got taken on permanent contracts but not full time hours.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: lucgeo on 20-09-20, 12:22PM
Only managers get full time positions these days.

They still advertise for full time Customer Assistant just less.

Me2015

Quote from: Redshoes on 19-09-20, 07:07AM
And if they wait the 12 months and come back the fresh stock control job role will still not be available.

We have several signed off but not appointed managers in our area along with a few in limbo. If the large stores go to the same structure change as the small stores there will be even more managers displaced. I don't have inside info but the word is that it's only because of Covid that the new structure has not been rolled out but it has delayed it rather than stopping it.

Why would they even be bothered?  The job in that store has now merged with the SA Manager, they have paid their debts and had a decent break, now prob looking for a PT job to get better work/life balance or wanting FT in another area!

The fact that they left should give an indication that the job they did is no loner there!

NightAndDay

It is also illegal to make someone redundant and the position to exist for 6 months after they were made redundant.

whatajoke2019

I apologise if this has been mentioned on here before but for a role they deem to no longer 'exist' within the company how come some communications come down to said role  :D?

Mildew

We now have five managers in store who’s roles have been removed and zero vacancies. A shambles 😂

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk