News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

01-05-24, 08:01AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,436
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 315
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 294
Total: 295

Highway code change.

Started by Nomad, 18-12-21, 10:44AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Every driver warned of 'potentially confusing' new Highway Code rule change coming in

QuoteThe rule offers stronger priorities for cyclists and pedestrians- which the AA says could cause danger for road users who are unaware of the change.

Spot the grey area in the new ruling  ???

QuoteUnder the revised rules, drivers and cyclists must give way if pedestrians are waiting to cross the road into which or from they are turning.

"Waiting" not walking up to it, not standing near it looking every direction except where the traffic is coming from.  I would define "waiting" as standing still close to the kerb at 90 degrees to the kerb and observing approaching traffic, anything different to that I may not be aware they are waiting to cross the road.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

gomezz

Is that new?  One of the reasons I failed my driving test first time around in the 70s was because I did not give way to a pedestrian waiting to cross as I turned into a side road.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Nomad

Yes that's new, I think it mentions in the article it was previously that you had to give way to pedestrians at junctions who were 'crossing.

Found it: 
QuoteThe original Highway Code gave vehicles priority at junctions, so pedestrians only had right of way if they were already on the junction road.

It has always amazed me that some believe they have to give way to pedestrians waiting to cross at an uncontrolled zebra crossing, code was always pedestrian had right of way once they were on the crossing, but they should only go on to the crossing after giving approaching vehicles enough distance to stop.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk