Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 06:29AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 413
Total: 415

Check out Operators & Coronavirus?

Started by delightful-donuts, 12-03-20, 06:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King1999

The issue is on a daily basis the company couldn’t careless about its staff.So yeah phone in with corona, everyone should😷😜

Welshie

Quote from: Mcdawg on 12-03-20, 09:34PM
Could I be disciplined if I refuse to attend checkout service calls, my girlfriend is 29 weeks pregnant and it scares me that she could catch it.

New information at government press brief today re; pregnant woman , they are to be considered high risk , could be worth looking for it online . Hope this helps

gaz

Now is the time to unite as a nationwide group, england ireland scotland wales,   we need to involve the local media channels as well as on social media channels we need to highlight this very worrying problem, we are seeing unprecedented amounts of customers going through the checkouts, I've under estimated this amount of about 400 per hour in a tesco extra, im in belfast northern ireland and our management as well as our union reps are standing back and letting us on the front line take the hit of the virus with absolutely no protection, we need gloves, masks, and sanatizers at every checkout, we need to be washing our hands every 15 minutes. bars ,clus, restaurants, civil servents are just a few who are protecting there staff but not just tesco but all the major supermarkets are doing very little or nothing to protect their staff. lets get this noticed fight together for our own safety. remember we are on the frontline, there are no other profesions in the uk at present dealing with the amount of public that we are dealing with.

Gaz

Mathias casablancas

Defo agree with this, most people in my store feel like walking. As crazy as it sounds no manager in my store has even mentioned the Coronavirus yet, we have been getting all our info from the media.

In the newspaper the other day one of the main stories/photos was of a stereophonic concert with 100s people packed into the venue and how incredibly stupid and risky it was. What about dangerously overcrowded supermarkets? On Sunday everycheckout was open and still the queues were 15m long . The isles were so packed you literally couldn’t walk down them. No hand sanitiser for staff since this began.

As daft as it sounds I think they need to implement a rule that customers are not allowed to talk to staff at all. I’m having 500 customers in my face a day, most of them also have a poor grasp of English so they get up so close it forces you to step back.

penguin

Our store manager to be fair has passed back to the S.D that many staff want to wear masks and gloves, reply back was a simple no as it might put some customers off, yet we are to serve customers who want to wear them, and we have had a fair few doing so in the last few days.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

dotnochance

The amount of f****ng customers that have coughed and sneezed on me last few weeks is taking the p**s, most dont even bother to cover with hand

Preacherpauly

Quote from: penguin on 18-03-20, 08:31PM
Our store manager to be fair has passed back to the S.D that many staff want to wear masks and gloves, reply back was a simple no as it might put some customers off, yet we are to serve customers who want to wear them, and we have had a fair few doing so in the last few days.

WOW. Why do we allow our union to continue to mug us off. A mass strike for one day would soon see masks and gloves brought in rapidly.

Mathias casablancas

The stores seem pretty desperate for workers at the moment , if you turn up for work wearing a mask and refuse to work without it I don’t think they have the luxury to send you home and they defo wouldn’t discipline you for it

NightAndDay

If that were the case then I'd use Tescos self isolation policy for paid absence. I'm also pretty sure a judge would see that as Tesco not enacting due diligence for duty of care for it's staff.

taliahad

Ban cash payments too.  Why are so many people still paying by cash?  Tesco really don't care about their staff and I don't think we should put up with this. 

lucgeo

If you want to wear a mask...wear it...if you want to wear gloves...wear them. I can assure you if I was still working I would be togging up head to foot, and no customer or manager would have a say on it!!

When bouts of sickness or flu were doing the rounds, I would refuse to use the communal phones. Screens, keyboards and PDA were wiped down by me before use. One manager tutted then laughed at me, but as I told him..." I'm supporting my attendance, Tesco isn't!!"
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

There is an open letter that has been put out to request that customers limit cash payments, amongst other things. Some of the older more vulnerable customers tend to use cash more, it's not always the case but the ones that do use cash tend to do so because they struggle with cards. For other age groups this tends to just be a personal preference. This will not be the same for all as we are individuals but if we totally remove cash payment we will also be turning away customers unable to pay in other ways.
Cash payments have fallen. The way some people are buying could be linked to card payments. Filling up cupboards to a much higher level than normal will be credit card payment for some. Not everybody is in a position to stock up like this on a cash payment basis. Even if coming out of normal bank account people on the whole tend to revert to card for higher payments.
We can only talk in general terms, we are not all the same. We are naturally drifting towards a card payment system anyway.

Redshoes

Quote from: lucgeo on 19-03-20, 07:22AM
If you want to wear a mask...wear it...if you want to wear gloves...wear them. I can assure you if I was still working I would be togging up head to foot, and no customer or manager would have a say on it!!

When bouts of sickness or flu were doing the rounds, I would refuse to use the communal phones. Screens, keyboards and PDA were wiped down by me before use. One manager tutted then laughed at me, but as I told him..." I'm supporting my attendance, Tesco isn't!!"

Good point about keyboards and phones. I work with someone who is like you and cleans the keyboards, more so when there is a bug going round. Our own mobile phones carry germs for a long time due the type of surface they have. During normal times we are told to clean them and as in general they are seen as being dirty, we just don't hand out our phones for others to touch, that is more of a cross contamination issue.

Harveyellis

Hi work in bakery slicing bread for customers queues are long all touching my hands no gel no masks no nothing I suffer with anxiety and this really worries me I have a dry throat and headache all weekend advice please

Catch

NHS states that the symptoms to watch out for are fever and regular coughing. However, anxiety can make you ill too, speak to a manager when you're next in and explain the situation.

Personally I think they should end that practice as its unnecessary contact, they can grab a sliced one off the shelf it'll do.

Mark calloway

be a shame if the media got hold of this story and the S.Ds name

StinkyPoo

I'm currently on 14 days isolation but I should be on holiday this week. There will be no chance to have it now as last week of this holiday yesr. Do I get to carry it over or lose it? Manager doesn't know :(

Mercher2019

Hi I don't know if anyone can help me? I've recently been made permanent member of staff and I have 5 months of service. Currently living in household where 3 of 5 are identified as high risk group. I am the only one who is still going to work I kind of feel the money isn't worth my families health at this point.

Does anyone know if someone with short service is entitled to any leave? I fully know it will be unpaid and that's ok. I feel like my only choice is to quit and feeling a little confused.

Thanks

Yogurt

Quote from: Mercher2019 on 22-03-20, 09:31PM
Hi I don't know if anyone can help me? I've recently been made permanent member of staff and I have 5 months of service. Currently living in household where 3 of 5 are identified as high risk group. I am the only one who is still going to work I kind of feel the money isn't worth my families health at this point.

Does anyone know if someone with short service is entitled to any leave? I fully know it will be unpaid and that's ok. I feel like my only choice is to quit and feeling a little confused.

Thanks

If you search Coronavirus on colleague help all the info is there for colleagues living with vulnerable people.

Redshoes

Quote from: StinkyPoo on 22-03-20, 07:33PM
I'm currently on 14 days isolation but I should be on holiday this week. There will be no chance to have it now as last week of this holiday yesr. Do I get to carry it over or lose it? Manager doesn't know :(

You can't carry it over, I believe that it will be paid. That's what we are being told in our store anyway.

Mazhuss

Thank you Tesco for me £16 a week bonus!

I sit on a check out, no protection.  Cannot move away from the thousands of people in our store herded in like animals so much that the store had to lock the doors to stop more coming in.  A piece of sticky tape on the floor and tannoy announcement will not stop me being infected by Coronavirus!

What is the union doing?   I have paid for over 10 years and have never used doing about it.  Government guidelines say we should be 2 metres away to stop catching and spread on disease.  Is this not breaking current employment regulations?

I believe regulations say employers must supply a safe environment for its employees, this is not!!  No matter how many times I shout air space it’s ignored.  Colleagues spat at, swore at and now we also have to police the customers shopping and take that abuse as well. 

Young girls sitting crying as they serve people.  Has anyone thought about the mental health of our colleagues?  Come on Tesco’s and our government give us some consideration , we have families as well. 

I do appreciate all the NHS are doing really, but to see them all standing on top of each other, nose to nose does not fill me with confidence that the 2 metre rule is working anywhere.

Where will Tesco’s stand legally if something happens to me and I diets a direct result of there lack of protection, is it manslaugter?

Let’s start firstly by giving colleagues mask, gloves, aprons, sanitiser for all.  If customers do not want to see me in a mask, sorry don’t queue at my till!!

They are relieve very 15 minutes to wash hands.

Managers at EVERY checkout stopping customers coming to close.  They can walk away, or. Go sit doing paperwork in an office, I can’t!

I heard lots of colleagues saying yesterday they are calling in sick with stress or isolation.  Soon there will be nobody to serve these customers at this rate.

Quote from an employee “ when I came to work for Tesco it was as a checkout operator NOT a frontline member of an army that’s in full battle!

viperex

100% True could not agree with you more. For all workers and have to say managers in my tesco there is no 2m rule especially guys that are replenishing stock .

Quote from: Mazhuss on 23-03-20, 06:41AM

I sit on a check out, no protection.  Cannot move away from the thousands of people in our store herded in like animals so much that the store had to lock the doors to stop more coming in.  A piece of sticky tape on the floor and tannoy announcement will not stop me being infected by Coronavirus!

What is the union doing?   I have paid for over 10 years and have never used doing about it.  Government guidelines say we should be 2 metres away to stop catching and spread on disease.  Is this not breaking current employment regulations?

I believe regulations say employers must supply a safe environment for its employees, this is not!!  No matter how many times I shout air space it’s ignored.  Colleagues spat at, swore at and now we also have to police the customers shopping and take that abuse as well. 

Young girls sitting crying as they serve people.  Has anyone thought about the mental health of our colleagues?  Come on Tesco’s and our government give us some consideration , we have families as well. 

I do appreciate all the NHS are doing really, but to see them all standing on top of each other, nose to nose does not fill me with confidence that the 2 metre rule is working anywhere.

Where will Tesco’s stand legally if something happens to me and I diets a direct result of there lack of protection, is it manslaugter?

Let’s start firstly by giving colleagues mask, gloves, aprons, sanitiser for all.  If customers do not want to see me in a mask, sorry don’t queue at my till!!

Managers at EVERY checkout stopping customers coming to close.  They can walk away, or. Go sit doing paperwork in an office, I can’t!

I heard lots of colleagues saying yesterday they are calling in sick with stress or isolation.  Soon there will be nobody to serve these customers at this rate.

Quote from an employee “ when I came to work for Tesco it was as a checkout operator NOT a frontline member of an army that’s in full battle!

Mathias casablancas

Couldn’t agree more!! Supermarket workers are being completely ignored by everyone during this crisis. I see photos of a 50 people gathering on a beach in the newspapers but zero reports in the supermarkets being dangerously overcrowded!

I don’t blame store managers they can’t really do anything I blame the government, Tesco and usdaw.

I personally think there will be repercussions in the future when supermarket workers have died and people look back at the photos of supermarkets that resemble a football stadium more than a shop. And that zero precautions were taken

Millie

Quote from: Mazhuss on 23-03-20, 06:41AM

Best post I’ve read. Absolutely agree with everything you have said. Yesterday was just absolutely ridiculous with hundreds of NHS workers crammed into our store. So much for social distancing. My concerns to a manager were met with an eyeball roll.

Redshoes

Just seen this about wearing gloves. It says it does not help and can make matters worse. The gloves would need to be washed as often as hands and they could retain germs longer than hands do. Biggest issue is face contact, don’t touch your face with your hands with or without gloves.

https://trib.al/8OvFNVx

Agree about above comments about crowding in the shops. Brief is retain safe distance and this is needed outside so would be needed even more so in stores. I must say the nhs/colleagues in my store respected this yesterday but I have seen pictures of a lot of areas not doing this. We have been able to put up barriers in my store but we are a small store and it is working well for us. I can see that this would not work in a bigger store though.
Not sure what we can do about crowding at the tills though. Even a few people can get within the safe space, it only needs one infected person. In a much denser packed crowd it spreads to more people.
Most virus are spread before symptoms show.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk