Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

25-04-24, 02:04AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,408
  • Total Topics: 638
  • Online today: 556
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 480
Total: 480

Check out Operators & Coronavirus?

Started by delightful-donuts, 12-03-20, 06:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taliahad

PFS can't really serve through the hatch, we're too busy most of the time and we're a shop, people come in for their meal deals etc.  If we were to serve through the hatch, we'd have to close the shop.  Morris999, what exactly do you know about this?

barafear

I work on checkouts and from a couple of weeks ago I mentioned about whether we would get face masks to a team support member. I also queried whether I would be told to remove it or sent home if I came in wearing one - she seemed to think not - but probably not based on any solid info.
Last week I was on holiday in Romania - and even though Romania had (at the time I was there) relatively few cases of the virus and no deaths, there was a large minority of people I saw on the streets, in shops etc. wearing masks and gloves. Admittedly, in terms of "protecting your health" it was also quite ironic quite how many people I also saw "temporarily remove their mask to smoke a cigarette" (that'll be healthy!!).
However, this mask wearing extended to many shop workers (these were shopping mall shops - so generally clothing stores, chemists, and others) - to be honest I didn't see a large number wearing them in supermarkets - although there were some - and most cashiers who served me were wearing gloves.
Whether these measures protect or not - at least the option to wear them should be provided to us - and also the equipment.
In terms of hand sanitiser our supply has been patchy - customers have been stealing them when they haven't been properly stored out of reach (particularly on the basket tills where there are no readily available out of reach areas - but I am an advocate of following the advice to wash your hands after touching food (well every customer I serve I'm touching their food!!) - but chances of getting off till to wash my hands even once an hour are zero - I'm not sure how effective the hand sanitiser is (instead of a thorough 20 sec wash) - but it's what we're left with.
We had signs up on the tills at the weekend asking customers to keep 1 metre apart - not sure why our store decided one metre was the correct distance - but I guess "every little helps" - generally customers adhered to it - but many didn't see the sign (on end of tills) and didn't see the tape on the floor (or understand the relevance) - obviously with the announcements over the last couple of days customers will be more aware - but regardless of that we are still at risk however well meaning customers are - I do believe plastic screens are the only solution - not having to even take the chance that a customer might accidently send some spittle in your direction - or landing on their shopping. But as someone else said, just touching their shopping as you scan is a potential hazard - who knows whether they've coughed all over it or whatever.

Worrying times!!

Mathias casablancas

I dont really understand the plastic screens to be honest? It contradicts what Tesco and Usdaw are saying about masks. They claim the masks dont offer great protection because air can get in through the sides? So im not sure how a screen is anything different apart from from having infinite metres of "sides" as opposed to a few mm. Its not like the cashiers are going to be sitting in a air tight cubicle? I suppose it will offer protection from when customers breath all over you or spit whilst they talk but a mask would also offer this kind of protection

Theansweris42

Surely though a screen would help stop people spraying saliva onto the cashier, a physical screen to prevent transmission, after all, some people do eject spittle as they speak, albeit only a small amount, but what would you rather have, some protection or none.

taliahad

The screens are something, far better than nothing.  It's a barrier between us and the hundreds of customers who are face to face with us in the PFS.  This measure is very welcome and very overdue and it will make myself and many others feel so much better and that alone is worth the effort of installing them.  We can and will clean them as often as possible, they're not perfect but they will be a big help.  Get them installed asap. 

taliahad

Quote from: Mathias casablancas on 24-03-20, 06:57PM
I dont really understand the plastic screens to be honest? It contradicts what Tesco and Usdaw are saying about masks. They claim the masks dont offer great protection because air can get in through the sides? So im not sure how a screen is anything different apart from from having infinite metres of "sides" as opposed to a few mm. Its not like the cashiers are going to be sitting in a air tight cubicle? I suppose it will offer protection from when customers breath all over you or spit whilst they talk but a mask would also offer this kind of protection

Personally, I don't care what tesco or usdaw say about masks.  Masks may not offer complete protection and air may well get through the sides but if the offer some protection then we deserve that.  Tesco were just worried about the cost of supplying them and reaction from customers which in turn might affect their massive profits, that's my belief anyway.  Crikey, tesco and usdaw could tell me that it will get dark tomorrow night and I'd ring up an astronomer or someone to confirm it. 

Welshie

Masks are in short supply , I'd rather they went to hospitals , hospices  etc I think the screens are a great idea ,

King1999

Tesco doesn’t do caring about its staff,it’s not profitable just remember that.

Mathias casablancas

They wont supply masks, they cant even supply hand sanitizer. Lots of places are selling masks and if you have your own you should be allowed to wear them. Workers on the shop floor wont have a screen to protect them when the customers are in their face asking when the pasta is going to arrive. On the shop floor the customers get closer to you aswell because there isnt a till and checkout belt to create some space between the customer.

People where Burquas at tescos for religious reasons = It might put  off some of the racist customers.
I cant wear a mask for potentional protection from a deadly virus = It might put off some of the stupid selfish customers

King1999

They don't give a s*** it doesn't fit into the Lewistopian ways........staff are put at risk everyday now.........
Usdaw nowt to say as usual.

Harpy0001

If you have underlying health conditions a colleague is able to take 12 weeks off with a minimum of 2 weeks of that being holiday.

According to government guidance, people that fall into the below categories are classed as
vulnerable.
• Aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
• under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab
as an adult each year on medical grounds):
o chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive
pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
o chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
o chronic kidney disease
o chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
o chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone
disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
o diabetes
o problems with your spleen â€" for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your
spleen removed
o a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or
medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
o being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
o people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any
stage of treatment
o people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing
immunosuppression medication
• those who are pregnant

Hope this helps at least 1 person. Good luck and stay safe.

Daisy124

Quote from: Mazhuss ok on 23-03-20, 06:41AM
Thank you Tesco for me £16 a week bonus!

I sit on a check out, no protection.  Cannot move away from the thousands of people in our store herded in like animals so much that the store had to lock the doors to stop more coming in.  A piece of sticky tape on the floor and tannoy announcement will not stop me being infected by Coronavirus!

What is the union doing?   I have paid for over 10 years and have never used doing about it.  Government guidelines say we should be 2 metres away to stop catching and spread on disease.  Is this not breaking current employment regulations?

I believe regulations say employers must supply a safe environment for its employees, this is not!!  No matter how many times I shout air space it’s ignored.  Colleagues spat at, swore at and now we also have to police the customers shopping and take that abuse as well. 

Young girls sitting crying as they serve people.  Has anyone thought about the mental health of our colleagues?  Come on Tesco’s and our government give us some consideration , we have families as well. 

I do appreciate all the NHS are doing really, but to see them all standing on top of each other, nose to nose does not fill me with confidence that the 2 metre rule is working anywhere.

Where will Tesco’s stand legally if something happens to me and I diets a direct result of there lack of protection, is it manslaugter?

Let’s start firstly by giving colleagues mask, gloves, aprons, sanitiser for all.  If customers do not want to see me in a mask, sorry don’t queue at my till!!

They are relieve very 15 minutes to wash hands.

Managers at EVERY checkout stopping customers coming to close.  They can walk away, or. Go sit doing paperwork in an office, I can’t!

I heard lots of colleagues saying yesterday they are calling in sick with stress or isolation.  Soon there will be nobody to serve these customers at this rate.

Quote from an employee “ when I came to work for Tesco it was as a checkout operator NOT a frontline member of an army that’s in full battle!

Hi. I have been a cashier at tesco for 34 years most of that time happily and enjoyed seeing all my regular customers . I am relieved to see I am not the only cashiers and staff concerned about the safety of working face to face with customers with no protection  . Tho aware of coronavirus it's not been mentioned it any precautions needed by management   
Up until the bulk buying restrictions  began about three weeks ago most staff were just doing the job and carrying on as normal. 
It began to bother me a lot that I was sat in the front line as to speak. And had no protection at all.
As many have said crowds are banned and frowned upon  yet a queue of many customers around us is fine.

The panic buying a week ago escalated and was very stressful .taking items away from customers and quite a lot of abuse.
Like so many on here I went home shaken and upset. And concerned over my own health  £9 an hour really doesn't compensate me for catching a killer virus. And I am just part time and a year from retiring.

I took a day off sick and asked speak to someone about the conditions in store. A manager rang me back and was quite offhand about me being off sick and was I saying I was sick of just not comfortable at work ? AS I won't get paid if that's the case.  I said no I am sick today seeing Dr if can 
She then told me that I had no underlying health conditions so wasn't at risk and not over seventy. But even then you need to have health problems. To be at risk. So basically the virus won't affect me. I wasn't happy with that .she also asked if I was coming into work as had fifteen mins to do that  I said no I am sick today 

Seeing no way out of being sat on my checkout and open to catching the virus with no thought from management for my safety I then asked about retiring early as not happy with conditions.

She then rang me back and was quite nice now saying she agreed with me totally and knew where I was coming from. And how understanding I had been.   I put in to retire and have retired from today. Sadly after all my years at tesco I had no sympathy or care for my welfare when voiced my concerns   since then my manager has said that take had been out on floors and signs up to say .But I haven't returned to work so don't know how it is now . As I said it's all too little too late  as far as I am concerned we had hand gel given about a week ago after staff Complained  I felt that I was dispensible and very like cannon fodder . And I feel sorry for the staff at all the supermarkets. I said I didn't feel protected at all and my only option was to leave I hoped to retire next year as planned but no-one knew the virus was coming and how situation has changed .I had to leave as my life's more important  times will be hard as now have to survive on  my savings until next year. But rather that than feel endangering my life. As we all are. I wait for some acknowledgement from the government that cashiers are at high risk more so than anyone in a crowd but seems no-one has noticed.  I am glad there are more cashiers concerned about these issues. Sadly my days at tesco and come to an abrupt end  but am relieved now as the situation was making me I'll.  It's very stressful being aware of catching it but not being able protect yourself at work was the end for me. !  An e mail arrived last week with praise for staff going above and beyond and the ten pc bonus. I find that insulting after endangering our lives  no protective masks gloves screens    And have retired my only option. I am glad I see I am not the only ones. Something needs to be done before someone does catch this and I too think tesco should be liable.this is neglect.     

delightful-donuts

According to the government's advice "Employers MUST ensure that employees are 2m apart'... Well that's Not happening with Tesco (& Im sure every other retailer.)

How are they (& Usdaw for allowing them to) getting away with it?..
Does anyone know of any online shopworkers petition we could sign? Or Newspapers that would back us?
A letter to your local MP maybe?
We HAVE to do something!! Otherwise we're just sitting ducks...  (-*-)

lucgeo

8-) the BBC news app or email for questions to ask the government? For you to ask what your rights are in regard of protection from the virus, working in the supermarket without being issued PPE and being refused permission to wear masks etc...as not customer friendly.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

@Daisy124

I feel for you, it is such a shame that you have felt the need to take early retirement due to the mishandling of some inept manager and management in your store. Resulting in you feeling forced to leave and needing to resort to your savings to survive for the next year.

I would also urge you to contact your local MP and highlight the issue and the lack of supermarkets in following government guidelines and failing in their duty of care to their employees. Checkouts operators and store workers are more in contact with large amounts of people, than in hospitals, yet are told they cannot use every precaution they wish to feel safe...and no adequate protection is offered?
Some of these senior managers are on higher salaries than junior doctors, and think they are some sort of Demi gods, who can dictate their own ideas and rules, and actually tell people whether they will or won't be at risk!
I actually witnessed a reduced section in the supermarket yesterday, with people milling round the poor assistant who was pricing down. I advised her to take her trolley of goods and reduce in the warehouse, and suggested she speak to the fresh team about putting items in the back for reducing.

delightful-donuts

Thankyou @lucgeo have just been to the BBC app but can't seem to find the link to the  'ask a question'? 8-)
any possibility you could post the link to it please?

smileymiley

Quote from: delightful-donuts on 25-03-20, 08:23AM
Thankyou @lucgeo have just been to the BBC app but can't seem to find the link to the  'ask a question'? 8-)

It's #bbcbreakfast

Redshoes

The briefs are coming down thick and fast. This is a rapidly changing situation. Plastic screens on the way to fit at checkouts. No more back to back, alternate banks from now on. Masks unefective unless at nhs standards. Gloves hold germs longer than skin.
In this rapidly changing situation everyone is running to keep up. It's sad when people think they need to retire rather than risk health but understandable. sometimes there is not a correct answer, this is one of them.
We are now in lockdown, this must have an impact on the way people have been shopping. All of the supermarkets put out a statement saying no need to panic buy, just get what you need. The government put out statements saying the same. It was all over the news. All over the papers. People just did not listen. We are now in lockdown because people did not listen to stay at home advice. I live in Scotland and we have had an influx of caravans and camper vans arriving. What part of stay at home advice encouraged people to go on holiday.
We would not be in this situation if people HAD followed advice and guidance. The company briefs are running to try and keep up because people are not following advice. We don't live in a dictatorship so the advice was just advice. People have behaved very irriponsibly and selfishly. Other countries have listened to advice better than us. It would seem to me that a lot of people seem to think the advice has all been aimed at everyone else. Pubs crowded on last night before lockdown. Parks and beaches packed. It has been madness, could not have been predicted and running to keep up.
I have seen people in work asking others to save them toilet rolls, antibacterial gel for home etc. They add to the panic buying if not actually needed. I have a very good friend off for 12 wks as has asthma. She has been told to keep antibacterial hand gel at front door for when her son comes home from work. She could not get any. We don't need this at home if not in isolation. It is far better to just wash your hands. This should not be an issue if at home.
The companies are not perfect but I have just seen that some places are pulling people back in even though in isolation. Our colleagues are being paid if they should not be going to work. An area Usdaw rep was in the store last wk, he said he was inundated with calls but our company were fully supportive by comparison with others. He said the way some of the other retailers were treating people was awful.

lucgeo

Quote from: smileymiley on 25-03-20, 08:36AM
Quote from: delightful-donuts on 25-03-20, 08:23AM

It's #bbcbreakfast

Can also be found on YourQuestions@bbc.co.uk

Morris999

Taliahad, of course the PFS could serve through the hatch, yes it would mean restrictions for customers but completely viable, unless your PFS is the only one in the company without a hatch.
And no I don’t know anything more than what’s been officially communicated, I’m just thinking of ways to protect colleagues instead of coming up with reasons why we cannot do things, which unfortunately seems to be everyone’s way in Tesco.

darklighter

Some are not taking it seriously enough, Morris999, I see some staff now with very little to do shooting the breeze in the aisles; at the very least they could employ their time in the deep cleaning of those empty shelves.

Perpetually disappointed

So apparently there is no help available if you work nights and you are a single parent. I rely on family for childcare, but now said family are isolating. I’ve been told it’s my choice if I don’t come in, and I won’t get paid. It’s ok putting nurseries on for key workers but no help is made available for night workers. What am I meant to do? Leave my child home alone?

Mark calloway

Quote from: darklighter on 25-03-20, 12:51PM
Some are not taking it seriously enough, Morris999, I see some staff now with very little to do shooting the breeze in the aisles; at the very least they could employ their time in the deep cleaning of those empty shelves.
we are at our store. I look rather fetching in marigolds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk