News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 12:32AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 276
Total: 276

Drivers leaving.

Started by Modena, 28-10-21, 01:31PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modena

We now have 6 drivers who have applied for Ocado because of there wage increase,  2 so far have been accepted this is going to be a fun Christmas with no  drivers.

fatboy

They'll never learn but are too tight to do anything about it. We have 2 drivers applied for Ocada & we're already short.

baldeagle

Tesco is risking empty shelves this winter after sparking a nationwide strike ballot amongst its logistics workers with an 'offensive' pay offer, Unite warned today (Thursday 28 October). 

The ballot of 3,500 Tesco lorry driver and warehouse workers for strike action at the Belfast, Didcot, Doncaster and Thurrock regional distribution centres comes after a four per cent offer was rejected.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: "Tesco made more than £3 billion during the pandemic yet pretends it cannot afford to pay the workers responsible for such staggering profits a decent pay rise.

"Offering four per cent is offensive when RPI inflation is running at nearly five per cent. If our members vote to strike, Tesco can expect Unite to go all the way to support their fight for a fair pay rise."

Each of the four ballots for the distribution centres opens this Tuesday (2 November) and closes on 23 November, with the exception of Belfast, which closes on 26 November. The strikes would impact Tesco stores across Northern Ireland, Yorkshire and the south of England.

BUY TESLA STOCK

They have never given the workers a decent pay rise why start now.

VladPutin

"Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold, mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

I'm actually looking forward to things going mammary glands vertical; I did the vast majority of our Xmas shopping weeks ago. And I enjoy watching customers suffer. That look of crushing sadness and disappointment when you tell them you don't have what they need for Christmas? I feed on that. >:D

lackofinterest

it's their own fault. i've been telling them for years to shop elsewhere  >:D :-X :D

Nomad

A timely reminder.

https://www.gov.uk/if-your-business-faces-industrial-action/nonunion-employees-and-strikes

QuoteYou cannot hire agency staff to provide temporary work cover during a strike.

Agency staff who are already in place as part of normal business can carry on as usual.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Modena

So if it's happening with lorry drivers why can't we the drivers, pickers, turnaround complain to our union and get some action taken, not sure how strong all of your reps are but we have a new rep and he seems on the ball.

VladPutin

What action? USDAW's agreement with Tesco bans any form of industrial action.

Modena

Thank you I didn't realise that.

baldeagle

Vlad USDAW have taken industrial action in distribution. Dagenham 2018. And given this years pay talks not going well at least one has balloted on industrial action in the last few weeks.The problem in retail is the almost impossible ability to have a ballot that would be deemed legal. And Tesco and USDAW know it.

VladPutin

Fair enough, Bald Eagle, but I stand by my point: Stores and DC's are two very different beasts. There hasn't been a strike in stores since I started, and that's 20 years ago.

Modena

Well I still think if drivers from each store go to there rep and raise issue's and concerns something must get done re pay, abusive customers,  extras every day.

fatboy

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. We will get f*** all like usual.

Hammer10

That's what I like keep going for more money in distribution then when store staff get their back dated compo it will add up to a pretty penny let alone the massive pay rise we will get Tesco won't know what's hit them.

baldeagle

Vlad I agree and can i say that in the 50 years I spent in different unions(mainly unpaid working as a union rep) that USDAW was the worst union  that I represented. I gave up with the full time officials in the end.Its only function now is to raise funds.

Modena

A driver who has been here years did tell me the gap between the drivers and pickers was a lot bigger.

fatboy

Sure was, drivers now only get the skills payment of 69p p/h more than the pickers.

VladPutin

Quote from: baldeagle on 29-10-21, 01:02PM
Vlad I agree and can i say that in the 50 years I spent in different unions(mainly unpaid working as a union rep) that USDAW was the worst union  that I represented. I gave up with the full time officials in the end.Its only function now is to raise funds.

You're not alone, mate. I know a lot of reps who have jacked it in because the full time union officials gave them zero support.

FarmerFred

Quote from: Modena on 29-10-21, 06:52AM
So if it's happening with lorry drivers why can't we the drivers, pickers, turnaround complain to our union and get some action taken, not sure how strong all of your reps are but we have a new rep and he seems on the ball.
Store based workers are bound by the "Collective Agreement" between USDAW & T, even if they are not members of the union as it forms part of the employment contract & that has been upheld in tribunals. Unfortunately, one of the provisions of the CWA is that store based staff will not undertake industrial action.

lackofinterest

i find it mind boggling that members voted that in!!!!

baldeagle

Can anybody point me in the direction of any no strike agreement between USDAW  and Tesco. Because I cannot find one and its not in the partnership agreement so far as I can see.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Why waste your time waiting for a rise find your own.

LucyJ

Usdaw are completely useless!,😩 They are working for Tesco and are in their back pockets! Do naff all for the staff!

horatiocain

I'll settle the strike question.
USDAW cannot have a no strike agreement with Tesco no union in the TUC is allowed to have one  so they don't have a no strike agreement USDAW could ballot the retail members for strike action  and could strike.

The problem is actually getting a strike.
The problem is that the majority of staff won't actually vote to strike and if you call for the ballot and lose you lose bargaining position.
So USDAW will call for a ballot if they think they can win.
But that's not likely as the vast majority of staff are on the poverty line already  they can't afford to strike, and both sides know that.

So while there is no agreement not to strike.
There is the reality that it will not happen.

Although if my place is anything to go by a ballot would actually succeed so we never know.

As to the original point  drivers will flee in droves because Tesco are a joke to work for

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk