News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-04-24, 01:56AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,428
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 538
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 528
Total: 529

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DO-IT

seen another joke on a health and safety poster today.

A boy cleaning some pasta sauce or similar with some paper while holding the fully intact glass jar in the other hand!

In our store if a jar falls off the shelf it smashes!.......glass and sauce splattered everywhere......no way can you attempt this with a roll of paper.....so i guess someone just took the lid of and poured it on the floor for the photo.Hardly a situation we need trained on.

Will proper TRAINING ever happen in Tesco,i.e how to handle a broken glass spilage and what to do with it after wards as opposed of dumping it into the grocery damages area for someone else!

Pepsie

Hi Does anyone know if Managers attend Fire Warden Training in Tesco We are told that all Managers are Fire Wardens in the case of a fire so surely they must have to have some training for this !!

weir-07

In some stores it is all managers and teamleaders. I've never had training in being a Fire Warden in either position. Not surprising, really.

Pepsie

No not surprising really but then if they are taking on the roll of Fire Wardens they should be trained in what to do in the event of a fire but then again that would cost Tesco money !!!!

tumshie

suppose something happens at work that is not my fault - maybe a box falls on my head as i try to get it off an overloaded cage (or is that my fault for trying to get it off?)
anyway, i don't seem to be badly hurt so i maybe mention it to my line manager but don't get it put in the accident book.
a problem then develops which seems to be linked to the injury. maybe i need some time off work.
would my situation under SYA, or in any other way, be worse because i did not get the incident written in the accident book?
this hasn't happened to me (yet) but i hope someone can give me some info.

Faceandgo

You could claim that at the time of the incident you wern't give the proper treatment which led to the condition worsening. A head injury should always be treated with care (unless its trigger  ;D)
If there's nothing in the accident book, then it never happened.
If it IS in the book, not only have you got that for any further illness that develops, but also it may be that a particular DC is heavily overloading cages and that your report is one of many, in which case the company might start looking into that DC's performance.
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

tumshie

the cages get overloaded by warehouse staff in our own store, because of lack of space. it can be impossible to move a cage without taking things off the top first.
i know of at least two staff members who have had something fall on them, while trying to lift boxes down.  both reported to their DM but not written in the accident book.
(people seem reluctant to believe that it is up to them to insist on a report being made, rather than letting the DM decide)

tescopleb

Those regulations make very interesting reading indeed, surely capping shelves contravene them especially considering not just the weight but the height of many objects on them.

debbie x

I work in warehousing, when i pick  boxes wines e.c.t., onto cages they are sometimes too heavy and I have to lift them too high.  I am only 5" and the cages are taller.  I mention this to health and safety at work and they said just ask the nearest person to me to put it on.   I feel horrible keep asking people when they have their percentage to get out too.
I called the union and they say i should not lift anything over my shoulders.  Could you please advise?  I do like my job , apart from that it really hurts my back :-[.

weir-07

You don't need any further advice I don't think...

The Union has told you all that you need to know.

Would it not be quite a simple task for a Manager to ensure you are not lifting over your head for the duration of your shift?

Chubbychaser

I've been told store in my region, has recently been given 30 days to comply with H&S regulations regarding its PFS.   Pot holes on the forecourt need to be filled in...... No manager on the nightshift are trained in PFS so if any emergency were to arise, they're fooked!! :o

Chubbychaser

Not to mention they can lose their licence in selling fuel! :o

meonlyme

Can anyone answer if its unreasonable for me to expect to be able to reach stock on a cage, or do i have to stand on a kick stool reach up to get it down ?.  And i am talking heavy grocery goods.

Hamet Foxrod

Would be better & safer to get someone who's taller to work the heavy cage me thinks.  Is this on the shopfloor or the backstock warehouse (?))

spikeco

I have a question my pm and deputy have told me to remove my flesh tunnel out of my ear due to health and safety, but as i work on plant bakery I don't see what can be dangerous, i question this with them and they said then that it not nice to look at and customers don't want to see it.

can you help me find something that says i cant were it or if there are limits on it as the jewellery act is old and doesn't mention any thing on flesh tunnels, whether I can wear them or not?

picktocube

this seems strange,at my local store there are a couple of cashiers with tunnels in and also various other facial piercings. Also if your tunnel is more than about 8mm,I think that the ears look worse when the tunnels are out and is probably more of a H and S issue,but that is just my point of view

spikeco

yer mine is 10mm

i explained this to them and showed them as i had to take it out anyway but they still insist that i can not wear it, which i don't see whats wrong with it, i have also ask my union reps and other people opinion nd they dont understand it, they belive that it is like a stud as long as it is a sertien size then y should it matter.

also they say it not the face that tesco want as a manager.

the beaver of bodmin

Health and safety does not seem to matter at tesco distribution!!! they put staff on 100% pick rate which is not achievable without breaching health and safety within the warehouse.. who are they kidding with these time and motion studies.. every little helps my arse  :D

Mossop

We have both managers and staff with flesh tunnels. Our PM is very strict on dress code etc. Sounds to me like someone just doesn't like the 'modern' piercing.

tinner

Hi Guys,
Been a while since I was last on here..everything has changed alot..so forgive me if i've posted this in the wrong topic.
My 14yr old son, has to do work experience, due to other ideas what he wanted to do have fallen through, due to insurence problems, his school has suggested our local Tesco shop.

Can you please advise on what stuff he'll be doing as i'm not happy with the idea, his school knows nothing about health & safety in that sort of working enviroment..

As some of you will remember I worked on a Tesco contract (Unity), and know how things can happen, and what areas he shouldn't be allowed in..he had said backdoor, and my reply was 'no way'. but this was one of the suggestions the school had given him.
Any feed back good or bad is very needed..
many thanks
many thanks
Tinner :-*

p.s. to the guys who can remember about my case, and condition, i'm now on crutches and morphine..doesn't look too good for the future..but hey, got to keep smiling :-* :-*

JCZY

When I worked in Extra the guys who came in for work experince, normally got moving baskets on tills, facing up, and filling.  Depending on your bakery manager, he will probably be allowed to go in and help pack.

The personnel manager should have done a risk assessment previously about where they can and can't go, pretty sure that back door & BWS are two areas they can't go on.

weir-07

Yep, BWS and Back Door should be off limits. Any work on a till aside from bag packing is usually a no no too.

Transmog

Quote from: the beaver of bodmin on 02-03-11, 12:33PM
Health and safety does not seem to matter at tesco distribution!!! they put staff on 100% pick rate which is not achievable without breaching health and safety within the warehouse.. who are they kidding with these time and motion studies.. every little helps my arse  :D

Health and Safety does matter in DC's.  Firstly contact your  Usdaw H&S rep and inform them of your concerns, if you don't let them know they can't do anything about it.  The next step is to work 'SAFE' this is working to the standards given to you on your training (Know your stuff).  If a team manager discusses your pick rate with you explain that due to your fears over health and safety issues you are working safe. They may decide to informally discuss with you your 'Capability' to do the job, if you feel the need ask your H&S rep to represent you at this discussion. It is the responsibility of the Manager to solve the problems that exist within there departments and Tesco and Usdaw expect that the majority of issues will be resolved informally.  We can't do anything about issues if people don't tells us. If enough people tell us then we have the data to approach management and resolve the issue. :) Hope this helps

not a hater

what steps can i take  if tesco fail to clean my working area and my health is affected? health and safety woman is making slow headway seems one delay tactic after the other.

bellyfull

not a hater, you need to expand on this health and safety issue that causes you heath problems as the detail you have given is very limited? We don't need the medical reasons just the senario?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk