News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:42PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 289
Total: 292

Delivery into communal flats

Started by dfl, 21-05-20, 04:38PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

I've recently had issue with customers near on demanding or wanting to argue about getting their shopping delivery into the communal area of flats (in other words to their door), surely during this pandemic is it not Tesco policy yet that we can refuse and leave it at flat entrance.

Comments !!
DFL

What about the shielding group who might be unable to leave there home

choppers dad

I'm a driver for c fc enfield. We brought this up about march 8th and our manager told us we tell people to come down or we take it away. He also told us no going into people's houses and that he would back us. Just think, you ring e entrance at door go in and use banister or press lift buttons, opening doors and ringing door to flat. We have our own health to think about and our families.

Tegai

At my Mum and Dads flat, a TESCO delivery driver left some bags outside their front door, some bags inside the communal area Next to the lift and 3 bags outside the doors of the block of flats....... a neighbour told them about the bags outside. My parents are shielding and shouldn’t go outside their flat, but they are outside now once a week hunting shopping bags just in case. They don’t mind where the bags are left as long as their told

choppers dad

Quote from: Tegai on 21-05-20, 06:44PM
At my Mum and Dads flat, a TESCO delivery driver left some bags outside their front door, some bags inside the communal area Next to the lift and 3 bags outside the doors of the block of flats....... a neighbour told them about the bags outside. My parents are shielding and shouldn’t go outside their flat, but they are outside now once a week hunting shopping bags just in case. They don’t mind where the bags are left as long as their told
We ring intercom or phone the customer, I myself are on furlough and due back early June, I have been in touch with a few drivers and they including me will not be going into blocks.

dfl

Biggest issue I see is there still seems to be some customers(not many) I've had want to start a confrontation about why you won't bring it up, citing "some of the other drivers do", "why not" amongst other confrontational comments. Could only mean to me Tesco are not making it clear enough to customers that this is our right if we wish to exercise it. Whilst I feel truly sorry for people who are shielding I have older relatives and myself to think about and that comes before ANYONE else's shopping
DFL

uklions

Absolutely agree my elderly parents both in 80s more important then someones shopping! main entrance only and sorry but you have to come down and collect it

dfl

Quote from: .....1 on 21-05-20, 05:43PM
What about the shielding group who might be unable to leave there home
Again, whilst I can feel sorry for those folks, my life or not risking it is more important than their shopping, I'll gladly deliver it to the outside of their building, I'm sure they would have a neighbour willing to collect it for them unless of course that neighbour recognises the same risks as I do
DFL

fatboy

New policy regarding this which came through this week on a dotcom update states that the driver should now enter communal buildings, apartment blocks etc but must not go in the individuals apartment.

blueberet

From the FAQ on the home shopping page where you book the slot time;

Q:Will the driver still bring the shopping into my home?
A:If you aren't vulnerable, disabled or elderly, our delivery drivers are now following social distancing guidelines, so they’ll deliver to your doorstep while keeping a 2-metre distance from you. If you live in a flat, your groceries will still be delivered to your front door.

I don't really see the issue though, we've all got or should have access to hand sanitiser and gloves. Sure there is a higher chance that there is traces of the virus on the intercom or lift buttons but there is still the possibility that it is on everything else that we touch on a regular delivery i.e. trays, doorbells, gates

gomezz

I am using the receipt to cover the bell / knocker when using it and avoiding touching handles / rails etc if possible.  If not possible then re-sanitize my hands.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

helpme

The T&C's which the customer agrees to has always said that we deliver to the main entrance of flats. Beyond there is down to the discretion of the driver if they believe it is safe and practical to do so.
There is no way I will go into communal areas of flats which are never cleaned. They come and get their shopping or go without. Some residential homes have cleaners in every day and I have no issue with going inside those to the customers front door but otherwise no way.

dfl

Quote from: fatboy on 22-05-20, 10:20PM
New policy regarding this which came through this week on a dotcom update states that the driver should now enter communal buildings, apartment blocks etc but must not go in the individuals apartment.

are you able to cut and paste this policy? and in any case if social distancing is required to stop the drivers getting covid then creating exceptions if someone is vulnerable instantly exposes the drivers to higher risk, so irrespective of the customers condition if i look at ANY entrance to a communal area and see ANY increased risk i will NOT be doing it. Anyone else's condition even tho i sympathise is not a reason for me to take increased risks with my life or my families.
DFL

gomezz

I increasingly see that vulnerable customers *do* have someone else (family or neighbour) to help them take in a delivery if they have mobility issues.  Company and scientific advice also suggests the customers leaves all doors open and retreats to another room so the delivery can be placed in the kitchen with minimal risk to both parties if there is no-one else to help take it in.

dfl

Im increasingly getting verbal abuse from customers when i refuse, comments as per original post plus things like "thanks for nothing", "lazy b******d", i put all of these customers onto duty via the sds as soon as they get agressive, 1 threw sds device face down on concrete step after speaking to duty on it, another was kicking the boxes out their flat main entrance, im personally getting sick of some of their attitudes and getting stressed now every time i see a flat on my delivery list.
DFL

gaz123

I'm relatively new to this game so I don't really know how it works - but surely if a customer was that aggressive to a driver there'd be a mechanism to prevent them booking any more deliveries to that address?

dfl

There doesnt seem to be any system for stopping the abuse reoccuring, my take is tesco is displaying a severe case of sloping shoulders by leaving the drivers to deal with stroppy customers at the door. whilst displaying publicly what they are doing to contain covid they arent doing enough to make clear to customers that entering buildings is a risk to the drivers, its unfair on drivers who have family at risk when the driver may visit many customers premises ever single day they work.

Indeed the last customer i had being abusive about my refusal to enter was in a communal flat which had an official notice not to enter unless absolutely essential (essential being the word in my honest opinion to get people like me to take risks with their own health for the sake of someones shopping). Also this person claiming they couldnt take them in themselves, then did so, hurled abuse and kicked the delivery trays out the door, hardly the actions of someone claiming to be disabled
DFL

gomezz

Just a thought.  While I still take shopping into the kitchen for frail and vulnerable customers (many thankfully have had the foresight to have a relative, friend or neighbour on hand to help take it from the door) that is when I wear a face covering but thinking that it we should be asking the customer to also cover the face if retreating to another room is not feasible (open plan sheltered flat for example)?

dfl

Does anyone have access to the actual tesco policy on whether we are to enter buildings for deliveries during this covid
DFL

lucgeo

Quote from: dfl on 27-07-20, 08:57AM
There doesnt seem to be any system for stopping the abuse reoccuring, my take is tesco is displaying a severe case of sloping shoulders by leaving the drivers to deal with stroppy customers at the door. whilst displaying publicly what they are doing to contain covid they arent doing enough to make clear to customers that entering buildings is a risk to the drivers, its unfair on drivers who have family at risk when the driver may visit many customers premises ever single day they work.

Indeed the last customer i had being abusive about my refusal to enter was in a communal flat which had an official notice not to enter unless absolutely essential (essential being the word in my honest opinion to get people like me to take risks with their own health for the sake of someones shopping). Also this person claiming they couldnt take them in themselves, then did so, hurled abuse and kicked the delivery trays out the door, hardly the actions of someone claiming to be disabled

If you report the abusive customer and the incident, in writing, to the manager, then that manager has a duty of care to protect you from any sort of future abuse. You are in their employ at the time of the delivery, so therefore they are not adhering to the required duty of care.
Also put in writing, that they have a set amount of time to respond to your written report, and until that time, you will not accept a delivery for that address.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dfl

Lucgeo, its happening frequently, in fact almost every day i work as i usually get a few flats every day, most customers fine but get at least on bad one every day on shift
DFL

lucgeo

Then you inform your manager that you intend to advise future abusive customers, that you will record their threatening behaviour on your 'phone.
He'll probably tell you this is not allowed, but you request a written reply from him stating that fact. Then it is in writing that he has been made aware of your concerns regarding the continual threatening behaviour of stated customers, but failed to follow through on his duty of care.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

baldy69

If I had a phobia of enclosed lifts do I have grounds to refuse to deliver to a high-rised flat?

gomezz

We had one driver who used to send the sack barrow with the trays up in the lift while he took the stairs.

uklions

Quote from: dfl on 27-07-20, 06:38AM
Im increasingly getting verbal abuse from customers when i refuse, comments as per original post plus things like "thanks for nothing", "lazy b******d", i put all of these customers onto duty via the sds as soon as they get agressive, 1 threw sds device face down on concrete step after speaking to duty on it, another was kicking the boxes out their flat main entrance, im personally getting sick of some of their attitudes and getting stressed now every time i see a flat on my delivery list.
Bud no point in getting  stressed  over it! been doing the job for 16 years if a customer gets funny its like water of a  🦆 back......just do what you feel ok with

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk