News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:04PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 279
Total: 282

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lianas

My current concern is safety checks at the PFS, amongst other issues.

I work in store primarily but cover the PFS for some shifts or OT.
Some mornings when staff do their checks they check everything, and I mean everything. All the pumps, handles, pipes, sand buckets, extinguishers, emergency phone etc.. the lot.

Then some mornings other staff wander out for 20 seconds, check a couple of pumps and sign off. Their excuse is that someone must have done it recently and anything will eventually get picked up.  Can this be right?

I've done some training on the PFS but see staff really don't take the job seriously.

-Kiosk door is kept unlocked (makes it difficult to carry the tea in to the till area)
-Approving pumps without checking, even to minors or customers on phones
-not asking for ID with think 25, even when clearly they should
-not checking tank levels, sometimes running out especially recently
-not doing any stock jobs or standard jobs that you'd expect, like gaps or rotations/counts, inventories or deliveries
-many staff don't know how to shutdown the pumps in an emergency - even I know how to do it as I asked.
-not checking when customers are filling bottles in boot.. had one filling coke bottles with petrol last month!
-leaving it for others to report drive offs, whilst there's little we can do to stop them we still get pulled up on them.

Does this happen across the stores or is it just mine?
I do enjoy my odd shift in the PFS as it's something different from the instore role, but seeing this make me wonder if this is normal....

Redshoes

I hope it's not the norm. The S&L checks are taken more seriously where I work.
My understanding is the the whole reason we have moved to a new structure and remote monitoring is due to an accident at a PFS but not in our company. If stores fail on the S&L checks that we have to do they are putting themselves at risk. I do however feel that now the kiosk is single manned it's now safer. The lone working colleague is more aware of what is happening on the forecourt. They are looking out and not in. We now get less "drive off's".  I remember once having a "drive off" when three colleagues were working. When cctv checked the customer came into kiosk but can't have been asked if he had fuel, out of the three colleagues working not one of them was at a till or watching forecourt. One colleague rushed to till to serve customer but was in a big rush to get back to join the "I'm not serving" team. It was handover time, hence three, and two of these three colleagues have now retired.

lucgeo

My advice to you would be to do your OT in PFS and continue to follow all the procedures correctly. As you clearly enjoy it.

The lacklustre approach by some of the PFS team will backfire eventually, I'd be wondering how their manager is not addressing their shortcuts, as it is not the accepted norm in most PFS stores.
Whoever signs off the S&L for the daily routines takes ownership of that....and trust me, Tesco will throw them and their manager under the bus, if the auditor or a head honcho turns up unexpectedly, there is a failed age restriction test, or there is an incident/accident as a direct result of their negligence!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Lianas

Thanks for the responses (sorry for delay been doing 12 hr shifts the last few days)

Management are most of the problem. They have never worked in a pfs so don't know what to look out for. They'll swan in/ out and not notice the door unlocked, lack of gloves, deliveries not sorted or sand / fuel spillages on the forecourt. As long as they get their fag breaks and tea they're happy. They've never ensured that staff know the jobs to be done, or the checks that need to be made so colleagues just sit on the till and say they haven't been told or shown. If anyone tries to show them the jobs (there are some hard workers who get everything done best as possible) they claim they're not managers and shouldn't be giving orders.

I heard they've failed multiple audits for various things, extinguishers, door lock etc but any improvements only last a few days and they go back to their old ways. I get berated for going outside to clear up the sand sometimes.

It's mind numbing how staff can actually ignore obvious jobs like cleaning, or checking the forecourt occasionally because they've not "been told".
I hear there are changes to the staffing at PFS and shift patterns, so I may not get to do so many shifts there but I feel terribly sorry for the few that do everything, like Cinderella, but get zero recognition.

davarn78

hi everyone
wasnt sure how to start a new post or if this is even the right part of this site...

does anyone else have communication with managers and requests for ot cover and deliverees in whats app?
im in a whats app group thing with managers and colleagues and it is a nightmare to keep track of whats going on as hundrends of messages
i got a copy of my new contracted hours on whats app and it was out of focus cud barely read it.
is it liek this at all tesco stores?  i thought a big company like tesco would work better than this.

Morris999

It's only like that if your managers are lazy/disorganised.

However in June a new overtime request system will go live, which will replace the MyShift app.
Stores have 3 weeks left to complete all the training with colleagues for this.
There should be a group coach coming into stores to go through this with the management team and answer any questions the store might have, and support stores through the process.

Redshoes

Quote from: Lianas on 30-04-22, 10:09PM
Thanks for the responses (sorry for delay been doing 12 hr shifts the last few days)

Management are most of the problem. They have never worked in a pfs so don't know what to look out for. They'll swan in/ out and not notice the door unlocked, lack of gloves, deliveries not sorted or sand / fuel spillages on the forecourt. As long as they get their fag breaks and tea they're happy. They've never ensured that staff know the jobs to be done, or the checks that need to be made so colleagues just sit on the till and say they haven't been told or shown. If anyone tries to show them the jobs (there are some hard workers who get everything done best as possible) they claim they're not managers and shouldn't be giving orders.

I heard they've failed multiple audits for various things, extinguishers, door lock etc but any improvements only last a few days and they go back to their old ways. I get berated for going outside to clear up the sand sometimes.

It's mind numbing how staff can actually ignore obvious jobs like cleaning, or checking the forecourt occasionally because they've not "been told".
I hear there are changes to the staffing at PFS and shift patterns, so I may not get to do so many shifts there but I feel terribly sorry for the few that do everything, like Cinderella, but get zero recognition.

Managers need to do the "competent manager" training and the colleagues the "competent colleague" training. This covers the basics. There is always a lot more to know but this is the minimum. If the store is failing audits and still ignore it's an accident waiting to happen.

newguy20

Those who fail to do the S&L checks properly are setting themselves up for a big issue in my view.
we are covered everywhere by CCTV - if you are doing a half arsed job of the safety checks and have signed that you've done something you haven't, if something happens and CCTV is reviewed your feet wouldn't touch the floor. Yes, some of the checks are minor and won't cause an accident if not done every morning but it's a matter of routine and other things could well cause injury.
The PFS is probably one of the most highly regulated departments in terms of safety and with one of the greatest potential to go wrong.
You cannot always prevent drive offs, false CTPs, illegal containers, mobile phones etc, but if it is right under your nose and you're seen to not check before arming, again another issue.
I actually rang another PFS recently about a CTP and the person answering asked what I was talking about and said that they were from checkouts and were working with someone from produce, could I phone back the next day as nobody PFS trained was around!

Villager No.6

It's not just the petrol station, it's everywhere. I'm a Dotcom driver and one of the few at my store that does a thorough van check at the beginning of shift, most are of the view that as the last driver signed it green nothing will have changed overnight and even if they do see a fault, bulb out for example, they're finishing before it gets dark so not their problem......

As an aside, can I ask if there's a list of acronyms on this site, I understand PFS as Petrol Filling Station but what's CTP? Took me a while to work out BWS was Beer Wines Spirits so a section explaining these would be very helpful.

See Abbreviations

whatajoke2019

Apologies if I'm wrong but I want to say CTP stands for Customer to Pay.

UdontNoMe

Store related express fuel, anyone know the legalities or policies around being open with just 1 CA and a team leader on the close? I've been told we're not meant to be open by plenty of team leaders etc and that store managers aren't willing to close due to getting an ear-full from higher management, I'm sure this goes against health and safety due to the way security works if we're for example armed robbed, can anyone tell me more so I can refuse to work 1on1 due to this, as I don't want to just walk out and be in trouble and I'm in an argument with my store manager about it, I've been lied to and ran around too much to cope with being used on closes so need to stand my ground a bit

SpudChucker1970

1-on-1 is absolutely fine  :thumbup:

Tattylashes

Hi, I'm looking for Disability, long term medical conditions and sickness absence policy. 

AND also the Safe Driving / Transport policy for HGV drivers.  Work for Booker and want to compare.

Can anyone help?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk