News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-04-24, 09:40PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,434
  • Total Topics: 641
  • Online today: 921
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 512
Total: 513

Pay review 2023

Started by person7, 05-02-23, 02:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dairyfresh

Payout as said was only to those whose contracted hours were on a Sunday only.

MillieMoo

Quote from: BritishRacingGreen on 10-07-23, 05:17AMI'm not a Sunday only colleague. Changes in pay were plastered all over the notice boards in my store, around the staff room and on the tables  They were much discussed in various posts on here and any 'rumours' of changes were followed up. It was not impossible to be kept informed.
I suffer with some pretty severe anxiety, not that I have to explain myself to you, and a result I do not use our staff facilities. I don't enter our colleague room, and most of our stores communication gets posted in our stores Facebook page. I don't have Facebook and should not be discriminated against for that decision. Also, under law, if any aspect of someone's pay or contract is being changed - it is a legal requirement to brief affected colleagues. I only just joined this forum yesterday to ask this question because I was not aware it existed - a colleague told me about it. Please get off your high horse.

MillieMoo

My point was that the official briefs, in plain black and white, just state that colleagues contracted only to a Sunday would receive the lump sum

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: MillieMoo92 on 10-07-23, 02:10PM
Quote from: BritishRacingGreen on 10-07-23, 05:17AMI'm not a Sunday only colleague. Changes in pay were plastered all over the notice boards in my store, around the staff room and on the tables  They were much discussed in various posts on here and any 'rumours' of changes were followed up. It was not impossible to be kept informed.
I suffer with some pretty severe anxiety, not that I have to explain myself to you, and a result I do not use our staff facilities. I don't enter our colleague room, and most of our stores communication gets posted in our stores Facebook page. I don't have Facebook and should not be discriminated against for that decision. Also, under law, if any aspect of someone's pay or contract is being changed - it is a legal requirement to brief affected colleagues. I only just joined this forum yesterday to ask this question because I was not aware it existed - a colleague told me about it. Please get off your high horse.
No high horse - just stating facts in my store and from my own use of the internet. I don't use the staffroom but I do have to clock on next to the notice boards.
I was not enquiring about your habits or your health.
Perhaps you should put in a grievance against whoever told you that it was your responsibility to keep yourself up to date with changes in the business and take it from there.

barafear

Quote from: MillieMoo92 on 10-07-23, 02:11PMMy point was that the official briefs, in plain black and white, just state that colleagues contracted only to a Sunday would receive the lump sum
The obvious question would be "Are you sure that you didn't receive said lump sum in your April 28 Pay slip"? Only a suggestion because the pay slips can be a bit confusing at the best of times.

MillieMoo

100% sure, I only work my 4 Sundays each pay period, and I've had no time off, so my pay has been the same each pay day

MillieMoo

I have asked for them to explain it to me, and was told that they do not understand it either but it is what it is

MillieMoo

Quote from: BritishRacingGreen on 10-07-23, 02:47PM
Quote from: MillieMoo92 on 10-07-23, 02:10PM
No high horse - just stating facts in my store and from my own use of the internet. I don't use the staffroom but I do have to clock on next to the notice boards.
I was not enquiring about your habits or your health.
Perhaps you should put in a grievance against whoever told you that it was your responsibility to keep yourself up to date with changes in the business and take it from there.
That is fair enough, but having worked in numerous different stores, no two stores are ever the same, and what about those who are not confident with technology or using the internet, because I've worked with colleagues who aren't. I don't necessarily think it's incorrect telling us it is our responsibility to find out changes, however when it comes to an important aspect such as making changes to pay or contracts, my knowledge, understanding and experience of the law and legislation tells me that changing either of these without consulting the colleague(s) affected is illegal. I also feel that when I'm working in what feels like a forgotten department, that gets no team 5 communication, no department news given to us, and an availability board that has not been updated in 33 weeks, it's not fair on us working there to tell us that it is our job to find things out when we don't even het the basic information. I've raised the latter with my line and store manager just last week, and this week we had a weekly news at least pinned to our wall, but it wasn't even for our department.

NightAndDay

Nobody should be working Saturday's or Sunday's without extra pay in my opinion, I've standard outside of Retail is Weekend overtime work is paid out at time and a half, double time on Bank Holidays.

Mr Tom

I'm in agreement with you but unfortunately USDAW our union seem to have a different opinion on this matter.

NightAndDay

USDAW do the bare minimum, far better unions out there.

Hammer10

Quote from: NightAndDay on 11-07-23, 11:39AMNobody should be working Saturday's or Sunday's without extra pay in my opinion, I've standard outside of Retail is Weekend overtime work is paid out at time and a half, double time on Bank Holidays.
we used to get Saturday premium and double time on Sundays but the union shafted us.

Teddybonkers

No - Tesco shafted you !!! :'(

FarmerFred

No, previous generations shafted you by agreeing to the collective bargaining agreement that gave away individual voting rights away to the union & the pay forum. Contrast this with distribution where the union members get to vote on pay deals etc. - the "5 Book" depots have recently voted to reject a pay offer that would probably have been waved through in stores.

BritishRacingGreen

The turning worm

The idea of the vast majority of members not having a right to vote on issues that affect their working terms and conditions is a reflection of the union you are subscribed to. The only way to stop this is to stop contributing.

Teddybonkers

USDAW = Fake Union (Don't waste your money on them)

Mr Tom

Quote from: FarmerFred on 12-07-23, 06:04PMNo, previous generations shafted you by agreeing to the collective bargaining agreement that gave away individual voting rights away to the union & the pay forum. Contrast this with distribution where the union members get to vote on pay deals etc. - the "5 Book" depots have recently voted to reject a pay offer that would probably have been waved through in stores.
The collective bargaining agreement was voted on some twenty years ago, many of the people who voted in that ballot no longer work for Tesco, many of those who voted for it may now have changed their mind and be of the opinion that it is no longer fit for purpose, those who have been employed since then have had absolutely no voice in the matter. Is it not time for a vote to be held to confirm weather or not the employees want this arrangement to continue or to reject it and return to one member one vote, and going forward holding a vote every five years or so.

FarmerFred

The bargaining agreement does get reviewed periodically & was updated last year I believe, but without a vote from the membership. It's down to the members to make their feelings known to the union & if enough folk do so the union is duty bound to take things further. The reality is that the membership is largely apathetic and unlikely to take a stand. This is in contrast to the Distribution Centre membership, where both the reps and the membership tend to be more engaged in the issues. Go into a DC & there's reps in every department who will back their members to the extent that in some cases as soon as you ask for a rep to be present the case gets dropped or they just go through the motions!
Quote from: Teddybonkers on 13-07-23, 03:11PMUSDAW = Fake Union (Don't waste your money on them)
I used to think that until I saw how well they do at the DCs. USDAW are generally a strong union - they even advised rejection of the DC pay deal on the basis that it was unfair for a minority of members, but in terms of in store they are weak because they don't have much bargaining power due to the relatively low skill nature of the business & the way the bargaining agreement works as well as the aforementioned apathy. If you want change then you have to be in the union and you have to engage rather than bitching from the sidelines and expect someone else to do it for you!

The turning worm

Don't get caught up thinking that Distribution unions are so great.  People doing the same job are being paid different rates.  This is called demarcation but the mighty USDAW accepted this and now old contract staff are being offered less of a pay rise to compensate for Tesco having to equalise pay.

BritishRacingGreen

Investigations are ongoing in another supermarket chain regarding demarcation and pay rates.

FarmerFred

Quote from: The turning worm on 14-07-23, 12:22PMDon't get caught up thinking that Distribution unions are so great.  People doing the same job are being paid different rates.  This is called demarcation but the mighty USDAW accepted this and now old contract staff are being offered less of a pay rise to compensate for Tesco having to equalise pay.
The differing pay rates is because the terms of the new & old contracts are different & the older type contracts have better terms than the newer. USDAW didn't accept this - it was the members of the union that chose to do so, something that store staff don't get to do. USDAW did negotiate to allow people to choose to retain the terms of the old contracts rather than the blanket switch over to the new that Tesco wanted.

The lower pay rise offer is part of an attempt by Tesco to pressure people into going over to the newer contract & the advice from the union was not to accept, again not a choice that is given to store staff.

fatlad

Anyone got any guesses as to when the next pay review might be. Not sure where we now sit against the other major supermarkets but Aldi & Lidl will be paying around £11.40 I believe

NightAndDay

A pattern I've seen recently is that the supermarkets seem to match or insignificantly go over whatever the real living wage is set at in October, currently the rate is set at £11 an hour, Tesco matches it. I'm guessing the real living wage, based on inflation for the past year will go up to about £11.80-£12 an hour, I reckon Tesco will follow suit.

Happy Days

I think your absolutely right.  Where I work it's every voice matters. The management is pushing for a good result. They are saying don't look at the pay rate. Think about all the extras. What extras they had have all been taken away.  So it's important that you fill out the every voice matters and put how you feel.  I would put a link in on this post but I don't know how to do it, I am not technically savvy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk