News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

20-04-24, 12:31AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,370
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 479
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 462
Total: 464

Options / becoming a manager

Started by Siwel123, 06-12-19, 04:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightAndDay

Wouldn't be surprised if there's only £1k odd in it between SL and entry level TM.

Redshoes

Quote from: Davethebave on 01-04-23, 02:49PMI'd honestly recommend trying shift leader role before making the jump to TM.

As mentioned the new TM role is much bigger than it was in the past. Before you could make the transition from GA to TM because you'd only be looking after an area with a small team. By doing SL first you'd get the experience of the day to day while taking some time to help TM with small admin tasks. I think we will see a lot more TM stepping down into SL roles in the coming months

I also think there will be team managers leaving. The role is so big that those that are staying are going into it reluctantly. Colleagues will be hard on remaining managers, there is going to be a lot of "but Steven spent a lot of time filling" and mangers will be in the dreaded office more but the admin side of the role is huge and getting bigger. It's not for everyone.

Ashbeck

I don't understand how the role is going to be so big now. I've read through the role pack and there isn't that much difference between what I do now and the new TM role. Other than more colleagues to look after what are the changes that are making everyone think it's a massive role that nobody will want to do?

Davethebave

It becomes bigger because reduced management headcount means more operational responsibilities.

So, for example in a store with two managers and 150 colleagues.
One manager will be responsible for literally all of the shopfloor, aswell as 75 colleagues.
The second manager all front end/ service operations, aswell as 75 colleagues.
Stock and admin is split between the two managers

The store gets 4 shiftleaders based on the headcount. If you get 4 bad shiftleaders you will still need to support the day to day running of the shop (stacks, pallets, etc) on top of any admin/ managerial tasks you have to complete. If the shop isn't good you'll still get challenged on it because the colleagues report to you.

On the days when it's all going wrong (sick calls, no OT, vacancies, etc)and your the only manager in the store with a shift leader and everything is needing sorted you aren't going to be sitting in an office, you'll still be getting dragged into the day to day.

NorthbyNorthwest

@Davethebave is right, and that's why I'm glad I'm leaving. I inherited stock control a few years, as well as the majority of the shop I already had,and it was a nightmare. Whilst I was expected to do all my office work, the SM would be wandering the shop floor loading next steps. And no shift leader available? Guess who's doing it? Another issue is if there is a particular'flavour of the month' dept or KPI. You will have multiple areas of the store to manage, but your SM will want you to focus 100% of your time on that one area, to the detriment of all others, until the wheels fall off there and you are then tasked with also being 100% focused on that issue. And as we know 200% does not fit into 100%.
But that's the job now, spinning multiple plates whilst juggling three balls, and your SM Will throw in another three balls as well at any moment!

madness

Further to the above after taking 364 days of s*** from the SM about how c**p you are after xmas they will declare to the management team how good they are blah blah blah

ImBackBaby

Been there, done it, bought the t-shirt, left it and haven't looked back.  Not worth the money, not worth the hassle, not worth the BS.  You think store colleagues feel like they never get listened to, wait until your a manager. If you aren't singing the store managers tune good luck in your career. Careers progression has now become extremely difficult in the business.  Lead managers are all but gone, Store managers will be the next big change where they will combine the smaller stores into 1 store manager over 3.  That has been talked about for a while now and I think once they get all this change over the line that's the next port of call.  If you want to do it, go for it. But there is far better paths to take outside of Tesco management.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk