Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-04-24, 01:58AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,432
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 549
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 523
Total: 524

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cwtch

2.9% is a bit kick in the teeth for all the work we have done this year. Can't wait to see what the pay rise will be after that  :'(

5fdp

If your over 30k. You will be taxed at the higher rate on some of the money above 30k. . This is so the tax man gets his tax and he will pay it back to you next April if you don't go into the higher bracket. Eg get 55k redundancy probably come out with 45k. About 7k of tax will be at the higher rate. So if you don't earn enough this financial year you will get it back. Its hard to say with tax . It does depend when in the financial year you get redundancy.  On 36k you will probably pay 2k max tax.

The crow

Quote from: lucgeo on 10-04-23, 11:57AMIt's disgusting to have a big corner shop manager selling beans, who's only ability is to talk on the 'phone whilst spying on staff and bullying team managers, earning more than a hospital doctor  >:(

I thought they'd done away with the car allowance a few years back. This is why there is no new blood or progression through the ranks, whilst these greedy, money grabbing narcissists hang on to their positions, and will lie, cheat and stab anyone in the back who dares show promise and threatens to oust them from their cushy number!
How much profit does a hospital doctor make for his company? And how much profit does a retail manager make for his? And how much profit does a footballer make his club?  Although I agree that doctors job are important and they save lives and should be paid more than any other, when it comes to how much money a job is worth, it all comes down to how much money that job generates. If you are talking about private hospital doctors, you will find that they are paid a hell of a lot but if you are talking about the NHS then its a different story, the NHS is funded by the tax payer so for them doctors to be paid more then the tax payer needs to pay more, so would you be willing to pay more tax to fund them? If salaries where paid based on what the job entails, no one would be paid anything as no money would be made. You can only pay someone if you make that money in the first place

Ninja

I literally cannot wait to leave .... Never ever thought I'd hear myself utter those words .
I've badgered the SM and the Team Manager who is taking over my areas for them to come and get some upskilling but they've had 30 mins max - have shown zero interest , the shift runners are all brand new and have had no exposure to how my departments run either - I really feel for my guys that have been left behind

grim up north

Quote from: 5fdp on 13-04-23, 07:12PMI have abit of info. Bonus will be between 3.5% and 4.5%. I was told this 3 weeks ago. But let's wait and see. Profit is down due to investing. Doesnt look good for a food firm to be profiteering during a cost of living crisis. So best to invest in different projects and hide the money. Abit like the SNP and the motorhome. Do you think they will hire it out for week at a time during summer?

I said this when inflation started skyrocketing. The money will be hidden by accountants, or 'invested'

Hammer10

After 29th April the company is going to go down the pan .

JJH

Quote from: Cwtch on 14-04-23, 10:40PM2.9% is a bit kick in the teeth for all the work we have done this year. Can't wait to see what the pay rise will be after that  :'(

Agreed, very underwhelming

lucgeo

Quote from: The crow on 15-04-23, 09:52AM
Quote from: lucgeo on 10-04-23, 11:57AMIt's disgusting to have a big corner shop manager selling beans, who's only ability is to talk on the 'phone whilst spying on staff and bullying team managers, earning more than a hospital doctor  >:(

I thought they'd done away with the car allowance a few years back. This is why there is no new blood or progression through the ranks, whilst these greedy, money grabbing narcissists hang on to their positions, and will lie, cheat and stab anyone in the back who dares show promise and threatens to oust them from their cushy number!
How much profit does a hospital doctor make for his company? And how much profit does a retail manager make for his? And how much profit does a footballer make his club?  Although I agree that doctors job are important and they save lives and should be paid more than any other, when it comes to how much money a job is worth, it all comes down to how much money that job generates. If you are talking about private hospital doctors, you will find that they are paid a hell of a lot but if you are talking about the NHS then its a different story, the NHS is funded by the tax payer so for them doctors to be paid more then the tax payer needs to pay more, so would you be willing to pay more tax to fund them? If salaries where paid based on what the job entails, no one would be paid anything as no money would be made. You can only pay someone if you make that money in the first place

You're having a laugh aren't you  ??? "how much profit does a retail manager make" for Tesco!! As much as they can bully,skive and pretend they know what they're talking about! They're puppets with the strings being pulled from the heavens above!
How many meetings are there a day...hand over...10 o'clock...rumble...afternoon meetings...add to this the 90 min breaks after a few Costa breaks! My GSM didn't know how to use a PDA...didn't know how to check stock...didn't know how to product investigate and didn't have one qualification from high school, but God could that person arse lick, bully and lie their way through the day! Another senior manager had to have it explained to them that we were the best in the group...not the worst that they were kicking off about as they weren't reading the results correctly :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

The crow

Quote from: lucgeo on 15-04-23, 06:26PM
Quote from: The crow on 15-04-23, 09:52AM

You're having a laugh aren't you  ??? "how much profit does a retail manager make" for Tesco!! As much as they can bully,skive and pretend they know what they're talking about! They're puppets with the strings being pulled from the heavens above!
How many meetings are there a day...hand over...10 o'clock...rumble...afternoon meetings...add to this the 90 min breaks after a few Costa breaks! My GSM didn't know how to use a PDA...didn't know how to check stock...didn't know how to product investigate and didn't have one qualification from high school, but God could that person arse lick, bully and lie their way through the day! Another senior manager had to have it explained to them that we were the best in the group...not the worst that they were kicking off about as they weren't reading the results correctly :-X
you are obviously not a manager so i wouldnt expect you to get it, just one question, how long do you think a store would last without managers?

NightAndDay

Why am I paid more than my Retail Management colleagues when It could be argued that I don't make as much profit for the company as they do?

How much profit a position makes can't be taken as a sole factor for earnings potential, it is a factor for sure, but a much bigger factor is supply and demand, and is in large part why there are positions which don't directly contribute to profit, but are scarce and pays a lot more, with the service provision they provide being essential, in some cases, a synergistic relationship to profit potential that can sometimes exceed what a Retail Manager provides directly.

Retail Managers directly generate profit, but are ultimately easily replaceable which is why their earnings is so entwined with how much profit they bring.

lucgeo

@ The crow...you're missing the point, it being that store managers pay does not equate to their worth or direct input.
The day to day running of the store is mainly done by MM. they act on the daily updates that come down, or are instructed to act on them by the GSM, that have come down on their comms.
As personally observed on a daily basis...
7.00am - GSM arrives instore and walks around criticising people, 'phone stuck to ear calling for duty to come and put a missing label out or get an A4 for the OFD printed off.
8.00am handover meeting- after which in the restroom with favourite sidekick having a coffee
9.00am - back on shopfloor behind a fixture spying (literally) on the CA's, then 'phoning their dept manager to tell them to instruct the CA to do a nonsense task, e.g. take some cardboard to warehouse from off a shelf!!
10.00am - handover meeting followed by  30min breakfast break.
11.00am - wandering round shopfloor with 'phone to ear ending up in the Costa
11.45am- rumble meeting.
12-1.00pm - leans on a fixture, 'phone to ear spying on the rumble team and criticising their facing up!
1.00pm-2.pm - lunch break ....

What happened in the last 3 hours 'till 5pm I can't comment as I didn't witness but can't believe it was anything to warrant the big salary and perks  :-X

There are good GSM's but they were mainly years ago, and in answer to your question...no not a manager through choice, but was encouraged twice to step up and even offered a fast track by one GSM!
I declined because of my family commitments, but was grateful that both managers recognised that CA's do the job/ hours they do because of their commitments not their abilities!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NeglectedBaker

HI, I know that this has been asked already but I have lost the thread.Please can someone advise how to put the additional after my 30k into my pension pot, thanks

NeglectedBaker

Quote from: Themachine on 06-04-23, 10:05PMAsk your store manager for a TRSP pension contribution on redundancy form - they will have to contact the people partner for it
Thank you  :)

Redshoes

You need to do this quickly. I did mine last week and was told it was time sensitive then.

Nightworker

Quote from: Redshoes on 17-04-23, 03:57PMYou need to do this quickly. I did mine last week and was told it was time sensitive then.

Can you post the address to send to on here please Red
Thank you

Nightowl25

To anybody taking redundancy ask for a new redundancy schedule (figure) this week.
The Additional service pay element has been changed to BEST of 52 week average alongside the statutory redundancy element being calculated to the new government rates which were increased from april 6th.

KELTIKKING

Can someone advise before i have my final consultation meeting with my SM

Trial Period

In consultation meeting 3 it mentioned the fact that colleagues at risk of redundancy ie myself who secure a permanent other role within Tesco ie myself are entitled to a trial period " OF UP TO 4 WEEKS "
Of up to ?  so can i trial the role for two weeks then decide its not for me etc and leave with redundancy ?

Thanks

5fdp

Yes you can leave after 2wks with redundancy. However, i think it reduces your redundancy payment by 2 wks pay. If I were you just leave on the 29th. They by no mess or cockups.

NorthbyNorthwest

Nightowl25, I received mine today and it had bumped up by £4000. I may have more to come due to having worked a bank holiday and this Sunday. It may only increase it by a few pounds, but as they say 'every little helps'!

5fdp

Did it have your bonus payment in the new calculation.  Remember its 2.9% of last years wages.

KELTIKKING

Thanks for that so to clarify

if i leave a trial 2 weeks into it i loose 2 weeks off the original redundancy package ?
so if this is the case i am in essence working those two weeks for free ?

Nightworker

Quote from: Nightowl25 on 17-04-23, 08:01PMTo anybody taking redundancy ask for a new redundancy schedule (figure) this week.
The Additional service pay element has been changed to BEST of 52 week average alongside the statutory redundancy element being calculated to the new government rates which were increased from april 6th.

Not wanting to sound like an idiot
What do you mean BEST of 52 wk average
Is that your best weeks earnings or
An average of your last 52 weeks???

5fdp

Yes you are working the 2 wks for free. I believe it reduces your time in lieu.  So take the money and run.
With regards the 52 weeks. I have not seen my updated package yet but I would think they would take the top line of what you earned up to year end and then divide it by 52. Most mgrs it will be higher due to overtime. So this is a great thing from the company to do.

5fdp

What 'nightowl25' means by BEST. IS EITHER YOUR BASIC WEEKLY WAGE OR THE 52 WEEK AVERAGE OF YOUR WAGE WHICH EVER IS BEST. IT SHOULD BE THE 52 WEEK AVERAGE, BECAUSE OF OT, BH AND SUNDAY PAYMENTS. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Nightworker

Quote from: 5fdp on 18-04-23, 02:49AMWhat 'nightowl25' means by BEST. IS EITHER YOUR BASIC WEEKLY WAGE OR THE 52 WEEK AVERAGE OF YOUR WAGE WHICH EVER IS BEST. IT SHOULD BE THE 52 WEEK AVERAGE, BECAUSE OF OT, BH AND SUNDAY PAYMENTS. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Yes cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk