Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 04:00PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 430
Total: 435

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

The nearest express in my area is 2 hours drive. There was talk of one a few years back but there was a lot of local opposition and it did not happen.

Redshoes

A lot of our store managers also seem to do a turn on the islands. It's very good training ground.

MAI

Quote from: NightAndDay on 08-04-23, 11:21PMExpress SMs get bonuses, peak salary outside of London in a non-fuel site express is apparently capped at £45k with average salary being around £36k a year, this is to be uprated in May.

Lead Team still exists, but next progression from TM tends to be Express SM, then Express SM to lead team.

TM salary is now at a minimum of £26k a year, suspect it to go up to £28k a year minimum from May seeing as SLs are now basically on £26k a year (with premium payments and normal amount of overtime.)

There are accounts of Team Managers being on around £50k a year maximum, but not verified, I believe the range is now £26k-£41k a year with average earnings being around £32k a year.

Interesting.

So its Team Manager then Express SM then Extra/Superstore Lead Team and finally a WL3 Store Manager.

How does this work if there is practically no Lead Team, or does every store have about 1 left in them?

Progression seems non existent then to Lead team (too many people, too little roles)

NightAndDay

I believe the latest structure change was a reduce in headcount of Team Managers and increase in Shift Leaders to help TMs priortize the Admin side of the management role while Shift Leaders run duty on the shop floor, Lead Managers are still in the structure but not 100% sure whether their headcount has been reduced as well, in a small superstore that takes about £1 million a week, there are 2 I believe and there are still 2 there now.

Some Express SMs and Lead Managers are WL3 (Usually highly experienced SMs and senior LMs). With the change in structure of Metro Formats (now some are larger Express Store), there's more roles to jump to between TM to Lead Manager.

Fresh faced Express SMs start on £30k a year (this will likely go up to £31-32k from May) and that would be for a category 2 Express Store which will take around £45-£55k a week, though you do get TMs on more money than this, the potential earnings are higher for an Express SM, having experience as an Express SM as well lends itself well to being on a higher salary banding if they were to revert back to being a TM (one Express SM i know went back to TM on £33k a year)

The progression curve is more smooth as well, there have been a few Category 4 SMs on £45k a year who made the jump to Lead Team, though now you have former Metro's turned Expresses (unsure what category stores it goes up to now, but I reckon 6) a jump to SM in these stores is also another route, an SM in a Metro Express will likely be a WL3 manager on about the same banding as a Superstore Lead Manager.

fatlad

We are also a small superstore taking approx £1 million and our only Lead manager has been made redundant so guessing its very store specific

Ashbeck

We're a large extra and our lead team has reduced to 3. Closest extra which is a similar size only has 1 lead now.

Batmanjo

Quote from: Ashbeck on 09-04-23, 04:15PMWe're a large extra and our lead team has reduced to 3. Closest extra which is a similar size only has 1 lead now.

To be honest it is great to see this cull, a great favourite of most of the staff got his comeuppance and it has made a massive difference to staff morale, and with the emphasis on more work from the management maybe they will get some work done instead of being in the canteen or chatting with each other or harassing staff with their petty investigation meetings.

Davethebave

Batmanjo;

You will probably see the opposite. More investigations, more colleagues being challenged, more people facing SYP. As the pressure ramps up on the remaining management population, it will eventually filter down to the GA population. Having less management will mean no more managers to protect the under preforming colleagues that plague the business

madness

Quote from: IMA on 09-04-23, 11:54AMInteresting.

So its Team Manager then Express SM then Extra/Superstore Lead Team and finally a WL3 Store Manager.

How does this work if there is practically no Lead Team, or does every store have about 1 left in them?

Progression seems non existent then to Lead team (too many people, too little roles)

It used to be you didn't need to do express you could go team manager to lead manager.
But nobody wanted to be an express manager so to fill the void Tesco forced this career step in.

NightAndDay

Quote from: fatlad on 09-04-23, 03:58PMWe are also a small superstore taking approx £1 million and our only Lead manager has been made redundant so guessing its very store specific

It makes sense for it to be reduced I suppose, with SLs running the floor and TMs doing the admin, there's not much for a Lead Manager to do, the merging of departments and reducing headcount is what happened with the Lead Manager I guess, less depth and more breadth.

MAI

Quote from: madness on 09-04-23, 09:40PMIt used to be you didn't need to do express you could go team manager to lead manager.
But nobody wanted to be an express manager so to fill the void Tesco forced this career step in.

Exactly the case. Express was the weakest link. If you were Lead Team in Extras you were awesome, if you were Lead Team in Superstore or Express SM you were not as good - that used to be the mindset. But ex colleagues of mine now say to get any pay increase (Lead Team), they were effectively forced out of Superstore/Extra and into Express as it now pays a 20% bonus on top of their basic. How true this is, I don't know.

MAI

In my honest opinion its the 100k a year, WL3 Share Scheme, 10k Car Allowance, Plus Bonus - Store Managers that are being ignored in ANY structure change. There is way too many around still who are probably part of the teams that create the new structures. Meaning the gap between WL2 Salary and Benefits and WL3 Salary and Benefits is becoming huge.

I mean to have this in a store is ridiculous,

SM - 80k Basic, 10k Car Allowance, Share Bonus Scheme 20% ie way in excess of 100k
One Lead - 35k
4 Team Manager - 26k
Shift Leaders - 24k

MAI

Tesco are back to making 2.5-3 billion per annum which is what it used to make 8-10 years ago towards the end of Terry era and into the first few years after.
That is with practically zero expensive talent (most have long gone) and zero international businesses left.

Then they continue to have mass restructures and redundancies at store level, effectively making all managers do 4 managers jobs and making GA's the best role to have as the pay difference between the two is now minimal. Bizarre. I am sure people are realising investing in people/options and development in Tesco is over. There are no roles to move into, or there is, but at the level no one wants. Ie 1k salary more than a GA.

lucgeo

It's disgusting to have a big corner shop manager selling beans, who's only ability is to talk on the 'phone whilst spying on staff and bullying team managers, earning more than a hospital doctor  >:(

I thought they'd done away with the car allowance a few years back. This is why there is no new blood or progression through the ranks, whilst these greedy, money grabbing narcissists hang on to their positions, and will lie, cheat and stab anyone in the back who dares show promise and threatens to oust them from their cushy number!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

MAI

Quote from: lucgeo on 10-04-23, 11:57AMIt's disgusting to have a big corner shop manager selling beans, who's only ability is to talk on the 'phone whilst spying on staff and bullying team managers, earning more than a hospital doctor  >:(

I thought they'd done away with the car allowance a few years back. This is why there is no new blood or progression through the ranks, whilst these greedy, money grabbing narcissists hang on to their positions, and will lie, cheat and stab anyone in the back who dares show promise and threatens to oust them from their cushy number!

Exactly. No - Car Allowance still exists. Its company cars that don't.

NightAndDay

Quote from: IMA on 10-04-23, 11:19AMExactly the case. Express was the weakest link. If you were Lead Team in Extras you were awesome, if you were Lead Team in Superstore or Express SM you were not as good - that used to be the mindset. But ex colleagues of mine now say to get any pay increase (Lead Team), they were effectively forced out of Superstore/Extra and into Express as it now pays a 20% bonus on top of their basic. How true this is, I don't know.

The 20% bonus for Express SMs is if they get exceeds (which none ever have done from what I've seen) and is also dependent on how the business itself performs, the SMs last year I know of got 10-15% bonuses, some got 5%.

Not sure how long you've been out the game, but Express SM is no walk in the park, there was a period of time a few years back where they moved WL 3 lead managers into Express as SMs due to structure changes and a good few couldn't hack it.

Express has been cut to the bone for the past few years with additional services being added on such as Whoosh and Evry, it definitely isn't as easy as people think it is.

MAI

Quote from: NightAndDay on 10-04-23, 12:04PMThe 20% bonus for Express SMs is if they get exceeds (which none ever have done from what I've seen) and is also dependent on how the business itself performs, the SMs last year I know of got 10-15% bonuses, some got 5%.

Not sure how long you've been out the game, but Express SM is no walk in the park, there was a period of time a few years back where they moved WL 3 lead managers into Express as SMs due to structure changes and a good few couldn't hack it.

Express has been cut to the bone for the past few years with additional services being added on such as Whoosh and every, it definitely isn't as easy as people think it is.

Spot On. I agree. But in past times, was not the case and was seen as low lead team and a 'low' lead role. WL3 Lead Managers NEVER existed and I still don't know of any, unless they were WL3 Store Managers previously and have protected benefits for whatever reason. As WL3 Lead and a WL3 Store Manager in the same store seems odd. But I suppose I don't know where the WL3 Lead stemmed from.

MAI

Just on structure changes, I am surprised Phone Shops aren't becoming extinct. They literally serve no purpose anymore, are rarely busy. Most shoppers do not used a phone shop to buy a phone anymore. So to have a phone shop manager and area phone shop managers seem very odd. Almost, resilient to any structure changes and a protected area?

I understand pharmacy is VERY different but same mentality.

fscer

Tesco Mobile is nothing to do with store, plus o2 own a big share of it and makes alot of money from it.

NightAndDay

Quote from: MAI on 10-04-23, 12:18PMSpot On. I agree. But in past times, was not the case and was seen as low lead team and a 'low' lead role. WL3 Lead Managers NEVER existed and I still don't know of any, unless they were WL3 Store Managers previously and have protected benefits for whatever reason. As WL3 Lead and a WL3 Store Manager in the same store seems odd. But I suppose I don't know where the WL3 Lead stemmed from.

What differentiates a WL3 manager from a WL2 manager now (at least the case when I was front line at Tesco, I believe this is still the case) is the training received, only WL3 managers can dismiss an employee along with a few other activities. I believe this came into effect because there were too many instances of managers not following due process and incorrectly dismissing staff, to prevent the risk of legal action, they decided only those with WL3 training can do things which if done incorrectly could lead to costly legal expenses.

In the office side of the business, we have a dedicated HR team (People partner team) that deals with that side of things.

Nomad

Please do not do repetition quoting it takes up a lot of HD space and HD space has to be paid for.  VLH does not get a huge amount from donations.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Checkout Superstar

So it looks like Admin staff will be the next victims of cut backs. Admin will be reduced to only 15 hours a week in Extras. Wages clerks will stay as 30 plus hours but will be expected to cover cash office also.

I expected it to be the other way around. I guess this is part of the restructure with Managers taking over their own admin duties.

Redshoes

This is not the end of structure change. We are just three weeks away from the end of this one. My store manager is expecting that he will end up with two stores. He has thought this for a while. We have had more store managers looking after two stores during holidays in the past couple of years. It used to be that someone in store stepped up and took the "A" for the store.
I think it will be more stock control changes, wages will be very minimal or go, more PFS sites going to variable, off till colleagues to just someone wearing a headset when filling. It's a pure guess, no inside knowledge but once managers are in new roles I suspect they will have to deliver changes.

Redshoes

Our wages clerk is also admin. Our cash office no longer do full shifts, the work requires no more than 2 hours a day. Our wages clerk comes in and does PI before wages. We are recruiting and the jobs are for mixed hours in different areas. It will mean a lot of training as a new colleague but it's the way forward for the company so it's short term pain for long term gain.

Simonlyckntract

Quote from: MAI on 10-04-23, 12:22PMJust on structure changes, I am surprised Phone Shops aren't becoming extinct. They literally serve no purpose anymore, are rarely busy. Most shoppers do not used a phone shop to buy a phone anymore. So to have a phone shop manager and area phone shop managers seem very odd. Almost, resilient to any structure changes and a protected area?

I understand pharmacy is VERY different but same mentality.

It has a lot to do with the standing agreements with networks I am led to believe there are also a lot of legal requirements as the phone shop managers are managed with 22 KPIs they also review numbers of hours twice a year and fall into 4 cats  some phone shops are smaller and are already managed by a diffrent phone shop manger in other shops customers who are taking out contracts are also signing into a financial agreements like when you buy a car so there is a lot more to it than you may realise also I believe they are self financed as they don't report to the main store and the stores don't pay for them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk