Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:39AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 295
Total: 299

Experiences using stock moving equipment

Started by Sonic2, 01-11-22, 04:53PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic2

Hi, I would like to open up a conversation about experiences with using stock moving equipment on the shop floor and storerooms (Equipment like cages and dollies, rather than those big pallet movers)

I'm an engineering design student and for my final year project I want to develop a concept for a new stock mover that is more robust and better suited for the loading of heavy items in a supermarket environment. I worked in the produce department of a supermarket for 5 years - myself and my colleagues ran into difficulties (like too much heavy lifting, broken equipment) that I believe could be avoided if the stock moving equipment were redesigned.

Is this an aspect of your daily work that you think could be improved? (Or perhaps this was just a problem in the store I worked?) Would be interested to hear any thoughts or reactions to my project.

It would be really appreciated if you could fill out this short multiple choice survey I have made, as it will inform the types of features I want to develop - it's completely anonymous and should only take about 2 minutes.

https://forms.microsoft.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=YwceYzMV60elzQRXvuWUTmnqSKN1vVNKnFeTbcC_KuRUNkw5RFQ0M0gyRktETTc4V1I3T1NCVUtRRC4u

I think different stores use different terms for the equipment so I've just attached a reference of the kind of products I am am referring to.

You cannot view this attachment.

Thank you,

Duff McKagan

I graduated with a degree in Engineering design from Bournemouth University and through a series of events (some out of my control) I ended up working for Tesco, 20 years later I'm still working for Tesco so firstly I'd say to you, don't make the same mistakes I made...get out while you still can.
As for finding solutions for moving stock, well I've considered this myself on many occasions but the simple fact is this, the equipment we have does the job..when it's new...the trouble is that the equipment is abused, poorly maintained and replaced far too late in its life cycle which is why we end up with damaged and dangerous cages, dollies and trollies. The main bug bear for me are the wheels, how many times have we all grabbed a cage or dolly and it's got a duff wheel? And Sod's law it's always the heaviest stock which compounds the issue. My first port of call therefore in any re-design of equipment would be a different type of wheel arrangement...something that requires next to no maintenance because it likely won't get fixed no matter how many repair labels you put on it.
Good luck with your final year and good luck with your project!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk