Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-04-24, 04:28AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,354
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 256
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Tesco changes September 2022 and beyond.

Started by Bobmay, 26-08-22, 04:07AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmay

The store I work at I strongly believe that there will be cuts coming to in the night shift.The store I work at was metro and changed to express.On the Night shift there was 30 people when it was an metro and was very busy store in the middle of train station.Now we have 13 people left in the nights with 1 night manager and 1 shift leader.we had between 3 and 2 fresh with the first having 20 cages and dollies the second around 24 and the third 15 delivery every  night now we only recieve 1 fresh delivery with maximum 25 cages and dollies.For the grocery we have 2 deliveries with 60 cages all together.now we have have 26 cages a night.the delivery is early  now and I believe  they will be cutting night shift soon from this express store.My manager has told me to come to the morning which is odd considering we are struggling in the nights with most night having only 4 people and the staff that left wasn't replaced.The management in the store is also threatening and pressuring people to leave with most leaving.I have been told that changes are coming soon in September which they haven't told me what it is.They are already struggling with people in the morning as there every week ate least 4 people leaving and not being replaced.We dont even have 2 shift leaders anymore in the nights which is strange because the policy of tesco is to have 2 shift leaders per shift. The store is also much quieter now than before so we are clearly making less money overall.With less delivery now than before they are making less money at this store.

So with that do you think they will remove night shift from the express store I work at?

Did you work at an store which was extremly busy and they removed nights from recently?

If they did remove night from the store I work at the maximum they will pay out is 180,000 to all staff expect for 2 who have been here for less than 2 years.

Bobmay

They are also now threatening more people for them to leave.  For the nights since the past couple of months over 10 people have left and weren't replaced.  Which I don't understand why they are putting pressure and wanting staff to leave and not replace them.

A few months ago the store manager gave staff letters to sign with  the times they are available to work. For the past few  months every week we have had visits from the area manager and head office with many days the area manager being angry there were cages everywhere on shop floor which nights didn't finish. Which makes sense considering the night have no one.  I believe the area manager and head office are wanting to remove nights and save hundreds of thousands a year from it. They spend around 20k a month for night shifts including night manager pay.  Which means they will save around 300k a year 1 million in around 4 years. They will not be paying night premium any more also. The CEO of Tesco said that customer habits are changing which means they want to remove nights and have morning and evening fillers instead, so constantly filling and remove night. The pay which Tesco is introducing will mean they will cut I believe night shift and also manager roles. Tesco will now have only 1 manager shift leaders instead of managers of sections in the big Tesco.

Morris999

Hi, a few things in response to your posts.
Tesco have not stopped paying night premiums for existing or new colleagues.
If you or anyone else is not being paid them for hours worked between 00.00-06.00 then the only way this can happen if for either a manager or admin colleague to manually change your clock ins everyday and then unpay it.
And then the store manager to sign it off each week on there reports!
If it is happening then a group grievance against the store manager needs to happen.
Night premiums are paid automatically unless manually changed!

The letters you were all given should have been the same as every other colleague received in the company regarding the contract changes coming into effect from October, and as such are nothing to do with any possible structure changes coming from September.

30 night colleagues seems like a lot for a metro/express when most superstores don't even have that many along with a lot of extra stores!
It was most likely the store was over contracted on nights and with you now being an express this has only made that situation worse(expresses are notoriously run on a show string budget).
The store manager will be under pressure to get the store budget under control, however sounds like they are going the wrong way about it!
To put a little context into to it, my store has about 20 night colleagues and gets 2 full fresh deliveries a day, 3 grocery deliveries and on average 10 cages of frozen.

If they do decide to get rid of the night team in your store, then it's simply a redundancy situation end of!

I've also never seen a Tesco policy of having 2 shift leaders per shift especially for nights!
My superstore general runs with 1 shift leader each night and a good portion of the day with one too!
Before shift leaders were introduced last year in large format, it was generally 1 Team manager each night instead.

A last thing regarding the removal of night times, in my experience the stores that have lost them on my group over the years were the stores that died a death after 19.00 every night and stores that continued to trade heavily kept them.
However that most likely isn't the case across the company.

Bobmay

Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).  .Admin.

With regards to night premium they have removed them for new staff in the store where I work.  I don't know if that is everywhere, however for staff on the new contract don't receive night premium.

As for shift leaders the rule of Tesco is that there should be 2 shift leaders on the shop floor in case an emergency happens.

The store where I worked was extremely busy store when it was a metro in that every night we were receiving between three to four deliveries just of fresh per night.  So we would have around 65 cages dollies and also around between 35 to 60 cages per night for grocery.  Now we only receive between 1 delivery of fresh a night with many of the delivery coming in earlier in the morning.  We still have night manager in the store even though it became an express we also have night shift which in general express stores don't have.  Now days the store makes less money than we did before, for example when it was a metro we were making around 2 million a month.  Now we make around 500k an month. That is why I strongly believe the store will not have any nights any more as it costs them to much in staff wages an less money made.  They can manage now to fill in the morning and evening.  I don't know about October but in my store by September they answered changes are coming.

The manager also wanted some staff members to come to morning even though we struggle in the nights.

Also what do you mean by that stores that died a death after 19.00 every night and stores that continued to trade heavily kept them?

oldfashionedplayer

I thought with the new pay deal that came in that premiums were removed along with time and quarter too? Would have to check it again?

Sherwoodforest

Normally with a change in premiums,theyd have to buy you out of contract,like they did with double,time and half
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

oldfashionedplayer

Yeah for old ones, but new wouldn't have to buy anyone out, that's what I meant, I seemed to of missed that bit out, my apologies.

Tesc0Wow

2 shift leads per shift isn't a thing. I've ran night shifts and evening shifts on my own loads.

Redshoes

We don't have enough people to have two per shift. There are times where we have a gap in the schedule and one person has to stay on until the next comes in but we get time back at a later date. Holidays are hard but when you get holidays and sick it's very thin. I have run a Friday and Saturday with just me on duty until handing over to next person, for us a Friday is the busiest day of the week.

whatajoke2019

I've found this on CH:

There are no changes to location pay/night premiums and no changes to Sunday premiums for existing colleagues.

So anyone who joined after July 24th '22 would automatically get the established rate, but no Sunday premium, however you should still be receiving night premiums for working between Midnight and 6am.

To get out of paying colleagues night premiums they'd have to change your contracted hours on the Frog system e.g. from 10pm-7pm to 6am-3pm and untick the 'protect premium' box.

That'd generate exceptions for your Wage colleague which are being heavily monitored by the big T at the moment.

Plus there are the reports which I'd imagine HO would monitor too?

Mrbline

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 27-08-22, 10:04AMThat'd generate exceptions for your Wage colleague which are being heavily monitored by the big T at the moment.

This why I have feeling they want the exceptions low as possible to remove the admin role

Bobmay

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 26-08-22, 03:38PMI thought with the new pay deal that came in that premiums were removed along with time and quarter too? Would have to check it again?

I already work with people on the night in mu express store who don't get premiums on nights.So yes they will be doing more cuts soon I heard in October.

Bobmay

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 27-08-22, 10:04AMI've found this on CH:

There are no changes to location pay/night premiums and no changes to Sunday premiums for existing colleagues.

So anyone who joined after July 24th '22 would automatically get the established rate, but no Sunday premium, however you should still be receiving night premiums for working between Midnight and 6am.

To get out of paying colleagues night premiums they'd have to change your contracted hours on the Frog system e.g. from 10pm-7pm to 6am-3pm and untick the 'protect premium' box.

That'd generate exceptions for your Wage colleague which are being heavily monitored by the big T at the moment.

The person I work with doesn't get paid premium for nights he works only 2 nights while the rest of the days he works in the evening mornings

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk