News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

06-12-22, 03:20AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 31,548
  • Total Topics: 580
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 39
Total: 40

Sunday opting out

Started by ihavequestions23, 21-08-22, 10:15AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihavequestions23

I want to opt out of working Sundays. If, when extra hours market comes available, I want to do the odd overtime shift on a Sunday, would I be able to work it? I like the premium but I want me weekends back. I want my life back.

Teddybonkers

"I want my life back". Find a new job.

Sherwoodforest

#2
I suppose if your contracted to the Sunday, you'd have to drop the shift from your contracted hours, I'd have thought opting out would make Sundays unavailable to you.

Nomad

I believe that opting out of Sunday working does not prevent an employee working Sunday OT if it is offered.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lordadmiral

Yes it is possible to work Sundays OT after opting out. I did.

ihavequestions23

Quote from: Teddybonkers on 21-08-22, 10:29AM"I want my life back". Find a new job.

Easier said than done mate  :thumbup:

ihavequestions23

Quote from: Nomad on 21-08-22, 01:57PMI believe that opting out of Sunday working does not prevent an employee working Sunday OT if it is offered.

My manager said different, so I'll just go with that. That's one less day I'll have to feel forced to work

whatajoke2019

You only have to work on a Sunday if you have accepted
hours or a job with a contracted Sunday, this will be
documented on your terms and conditions of employment.
If your terms and conditions do not say anything about
working on a Sunday, you can, if you choose, work
overtime hours on a Sunday should there be shifts
available.


Found this on CH (although said policy hasn't been updated since 2018).

NightAndDay

Now that Tesco has scrapped Sunday premo for new recruits, the pool of candidates willing to work Sunday for single time should shrink considerably, anyone that does is just exacerbating the precedent that supermarket workers will work for minimum wage and no benefits.

lucgeo

Once you have opted out of Sunday working, then it is no longer your contracted day. If Sunday overtime becomes available, you can offer to work, the same as any other non contracted colleague.

Aye, your manager will tell you different, because they don't want the hassle of filling the shift! May make a point if it for the first few weeks, but come the next month, when the uni and seasonal colleagues finish, then it will be readily available!

Incidentally, to deny you any Sunday O/T, you are being singled out and suffering a detriment, to other colleagues!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

ihavequestions23 if your idiot MM is ever in a bind and asks you to do OT on a Sunday you know the answer  :D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lackofinterest

#11
Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 22-08-22, 11:06AMYou only have to work on a Sunday if you have accepted
hours or a job with a contracted Sunday, this will be
documented on your terms and conditions of employment.
If your terms and conditions do not say anything about
working on a Sunday, you can, if you choose, work
overtime hours on a Sunday should there be shifts
available.


Found this on CH (although said policy hasn't been updated since 2018).


:D  :thumbup:

whatajoke2019

If the big T ever decided to get rid of Sunday premiums for those not affected by the recent change I would love to see how many stores would end up shutting with no one being in  :D.

NightAndDay

It's my understanding that (In Express at least) new hires don't get Sunday premium.

whatajoke2019

The same applies for large format too NightAndDay.

ihavequestions23

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 22-08-22, 11:06AMYou only have to work on a Sunday if you have accepted
hours or a job with a contracted Sunday, this will be
documented on your terms and conditions of employment.
If your terms and conditions do not say anything about
working on a Sunday, you can, if you choose, work
overtime hours on a Sunday should there be shifts
available.


Thanks! My manager said he'd check it out for me. I'm not bothered about it anyway if I can't do OT I can at least make plans for one day of the week.

Found this on CH (although said policy hasn't been updated since 2018).


ihavequestions23

Quote from: NightAndDay on 22-08-22, 11:37AMNow that Tesco has scrapped Sunday premo for new recruits, the pool of candidates willing to work Sunday for single time should shrink considerably, anyone that does is just exacerbating the precedent that supermarket workers will work for minimum wage and no benefits.

I still can't believe that. Tesco are making more money than ever and are taking all the benefits off new starters. Just another big business hoping to make more money by paying as little as possible to people who desperately need it.

ihavequestions23

Quote from: lucgeo on 22-08-22, 11:41AMOnce you have opted out of Sunday working, then it is no longer your contracted day. If Sunday overtime becomes available, you can offer to work, the same as any other non contracted colleague.

Aye, your manager will tell you different, because they don't want the hassle of filling the shift! May make a point if it for the first few weeks, but come the next month, when the uni and seasonal colleagues finish, then it will be readily available!

Incidentally, to deny you any Sunday O/T, you are being singled out and suffering a detriment, to other colleagues!

Thanks for the info. He said something about the system not letting them. I am happy to not do it but it would be nice to have the option. I'll wait and see what happens.

Sherwoodforest

The system sounds like a blag to be honest

ihavequestions23

Quote from: Nomad on 22-08-22, 01:50PMihavequestions23 if your idiot MM is ever in a bind and asks you to do OT on a Sunday you know the answer  :D

Indeed I do!  ;)

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 23-08-22, 10:00AMIf the big T ever decided to get rid of Sunday premiums for those not affected by the recent change I would love to see how many stores would end up shutting with no one being in  :D.

I work nights and my boss said I can't take saturday nights (into sundays) off, it has to be the Sunday nights I opt out of, so I worked out the Sunday premium I will be missing out on would be about £30 a month. I'm surprised anybody is willing to work Sundays for so little extra, even day shifters only earn about £80 a month extra for working Sundays, hardly seems worth it to lose a day of your weekend.

Sherwoodforest

#20
The way I see it, if I'm gonna fill a shelf i might as well get paid more for doing it, £80 a month adds up over a year.  Over a year that's 3 months rent for me, if they scrap Sunday premiums I'll be first to drop mine.

lucgeo

WOW!! Just shows how different areas in the same country are :o  :o

I don't live in London, I'm in Wales, a non affluent area, but the rental for a basic one bed for 3 months would be £1,725!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

With the longer trading hours on a Sunday it's different for us. We open at 0800 and close at 2200. We have a high level of contracted people on Sundays but even so it can be difficult covering shifts. It's the day after the sat night out that is the issue for us. Premium does not come into it. We do have a bunch of people that seek out Sunday overtime but not enough. Saturday night is far harder to cover, anything after about 1700 on a Saturday are the the hardest shifts to cover.
We do have people who have opted out of Sundays. They do sometimes pick up shifts but not often. For us, the majority that have opted out have done so because of the Saturday night out. I once had a student still on a temp contract who said he had done his share of weekend working so asked me to move his hours. He was taken on to help cover the difficult weekend shifts. He did eventually get off weekends but by applying for a different job within store.

Nomad

ihavequestions23 I believe if the majority of your Saturday night shift hours are in Sunday (after 0000 hours) you must be allowed to drop that shift.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Bobmay

#24
Quote from: NightAndDay on 22-08-22, 11:37AMNow that Tesco has scrapped Sunday premo for new recruits, the pool of candidates willing to work Sunday for single time should shrink considerably, anyone that does is just exacerbating the precedent that supermarket workers will work for minimum wage and no benefits.

There will be people available for working Sundays.  For example students who are only working there temporary until they finish their degree or college and find employment in the degree they studied for.  The one which is worse is night shift.  For new colleagues they wont be paid premium for night shifts.  Already 1 person in  the store I work at doesn't get paid premium for working nights.  People already who had premium pay are leaving this job however now with more pressure for the job and also no extra for working nights no one will want to work nights.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk