Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 10:23AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 439
Total: 443

USDAW / Tesco collective bargaining agreement

Started by radaghastly, 24-06-22, 12:35AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

@ barafear
"Thankfully I haven't had a need to call the regional office and ask for a rep - but I just feel without "personal knowledge of the store" their help is less effective."

I always found that a positive. The called in rep, should have all the knowledge in dealing with most disputes and disciplinary meetings...PLUS...they have no allegiance with any manager, they're not bothered about any recriminations from the SM, and feel more able to speak their mind, which some instore reps lack!

I agree with the rest of your post, USDAW are a money making company, first and foremost. They spend your subs money like confetti, have so many sidelines selling insurance, cars, giving away useless little freebies and make massive donations to the Labour Party!  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Grizzly

The reps at my store are more friendly with the managers than the real people but I shouldn't complain I do get a worthless magazine sent out with some great pretty useless info about Doris who worked for Tesco for 400 years and to congratulate her they've given her a final warning or something. I bet the miners wish they had a union like that during the miners strikes.

Teddybonkers

USDAW = Fake Union. Don't waste you're time and money on them. I have no idea what they've ever achieved or why they even exist.   

Paupers wage

Its a minimum wage job, wasting your £10 to pay  usdaw who seemingly work hand in hand with Tesco is a poor return insurance policy I'm thinking.  In this current climate there's better paid employment elsewhere but if your set on retail than except its limitations Tesco glory days are long gone but it's a job!

person7

apparently they put up the weekly charges without any notice. most staff at my store are with the union and they are all demanding why they werent told its gone up lol.

just what DO usdaw DO? 

(Forgot to say, only reason most us have them is "insurance" with any disputes, but what i mean by what "do they do" is the rest.. like.. fair pay for example.. and also we arent allowed to strike as we are "essential workers" but I've seen other "essential workers" strike.. we should be allowed if necessary.

barafear

Surprised no-one has commented on the latest update on "OurT3sco" on this very subject. Doubt I can link to it - so will copy and paste a bit:

"On 20 July 2022, I was delighted to attend a ceremony with USDAW to formally sign our new partnership agreement, which ensures we continue to work together to secure the best possible level of support and voice for our store colleagues.

Our commitment to colleagues has never been stronger. You really are at the heart of our business; you work incredibly hard to overcome any challenges we face, while maintaining a great level of service and availability for our customers. That's why we believe it's so important to listen to how you're feeling, and take the time to understand what really matters to you. Collaborative conversations between Tesco, USDAW and colleague representatives allow us to directly and explicitly hear your views – through numerous local and national forums, consulting on changes within our business, and when negotiating improvements to pay and reward. Together, we reach the best outcomes and agreements we can.

We will continue to build strong relationships with the unions and organisations we work with, to make the best investments in your future and ensure Tesco remains a great place to work for all."

This was written by the Director of People, Emma Taylor.

7 comments on OurT3sco - none of which in the least bit positive. The fact there are only 7 shows how apathetic we've become.

But again, it makes me angry that T delight in telling us what great news it is. they also headed up the news as "investing in our colleagues".

It appears that the latest estimates for NLW are in the region of £10.20 for April 2023 and nearly £11 for April 2024.

As I said in a previous post though, I wonder if big employers (such as T) won't have a quiet word in someone's ear before it becomes official.

Can't see T or the others for that matter wanting to (or affording to without cutting their profits and divis and Senior mgt salaries) give pay rises to meet those levels.

Grizzly

Sounds to me like tosco are delighted that the union has probably agreed to keep quiet about any changes they wish to make until it's to late then the s/managers can say "it was agreed with the union " even though the union members have never been asked if there happy with any changes.it really is a shower of sh#t that represents the workers and they say there here for us.all there here for is my £10 a month.

Anglia88

After years of threating to cancel my membership I've finally done it. The latest contract changes during the recent pay negotiations without any prior consultation to members was the final straw for me. So what if the partnership agreement says they can do so without consulting memebers first, that doesn't make it right. Nothing I can do to change the situation but I sure as hell won't be funding this mickey mouse Union any longer. At the end of the day I am a GA working in tesco who pay me minimum wage, give or take, so me giving up 10 quid plus a month out of my wages for usdaw is just plain silly. There's no incentive to be in a union that doest stand up to protect your pay and conditions, which they have proved time and again they don't. 

As a side note, after handing in my cancellation letter to my wages clerk and thinking that was it I then received a letter from usdaw to my home address stating they had received my cancellation request but my membership wasn't yet cancelled until I filled out another form confirming it and stating my reason for leaving. The letter lists "all the benefits" of being a member and seems to be just another hoop put there to jump through to try to get you to change your mind last minute.

HalloweenJack

Aldi announced a second pay rise this year for its staff and we havent even had our first! local maccies already paying 16 year olds £10.10 an hour and they are a franchise.

barafear

Noticed a report in the newspaper this morning about Aldi increasing pay to £10.50 (albeit, I'm sure someone on here had mentioned it a few days back on another thread) - in the same story, it stated that other supermarkets had recently increased pay to around £10 an hour - and incorrectly stated that Tesko had increased pay to £10.10 from June.

Should have read the 24th July (or nearly August).

Unless there is some sort of pressure/intervention put on by big business, it's fairly short odds that the NLW from next April will be more than £10.10 - so effectively, Tesko will be forced to increase their pay again - I think the announcement of the NLW is normally around November - so that give T about four months notice -

Of course, there's little point in whinging - unfortunately retail is and will continue to be an unskilled minimum wage occupation.

If you do work in retail, make the best of it for your own personal circumstances - hours that suit - extra pocket money etc.

But relying on it for a full time wage/job is a real struggle.

Debcol1

Quote from: radaghastly on 24-06-22, 12:35AMI am  sick of our contract & working conditions constantly being degraded. There is a huge amount of bad feeling on the shop floor over the new contracts that have been approved on our behalf by USDAW.

The collective bargaining agreement allows USDAW to legally do this. At this point it seems they will green-light whatever Tesco asks of them. It is becoming apparent, that they are no longer representing the best interests of the Tesco workers who are paying them.

I mentioned my discontent in the "New contract concerns" post - but felt that to comment further there, might be considered hijacking the thread - so I have started this one to keep thing on-point.

FarmerFred pointed me towards the Central Arbitration Committee (CAC). They oversee these bargaining agreements, however, USDAW are an independent union and do not fall under the jurisdiction of the CAC. Furthermore they only cover agreements made after 2001 - I believe the partnership agreement began in 1998.

I have carried out a questionnaire survey of staff in my own (extra) store, to gauge how people felt. I asked the questions as neutrally as possible & included "no opinion" as one of the answers - in order to assess what levels of apathy there might be. I got a good sampling from every department & shift.

Survey Results: (1 clipboard still to be returned - I will update figures when I have it)

Q1  Are you an USDAW member?

Yes:        56.86%
No:         43.14%

Q2  Do you approve of the new contract that has been agreed on your behalf by USDAW?

Yes:         1.96%
No:         82.35%   
No opinion: 15.69%

Q3  The collective bargaining agreement between Tesco & USDAW allows changes to your contract & working conditions to be made without your consent. Would you like to end this arrangement?

Yes:         90.20%   
No:           3.92%   
No opinion:   5.88%

These results show just how strongly staff feel. The new contract is deeply unpopular. If there is ever a time to end the Tesco / USDAW alliance, it is now.

My question to you guys is how can we move forward with this?
Suggestions would be welcome.

s. Same in our store Totol joke   we need a better union  in that works for us and not tesco

NightAndDay

Unions overall won't be around much longer by the looks of it, Sunak wants functionally outlaw them completely and Luz Truss wants to put the screws to their striking capabilities.

uklions

Union as much use as a choclate tepot now have left the union after 17 years and not lining labour pockets anymore! Will use the saving i make put to a better use....... fish n chips once a month  ;D

radaghastly

New contract now in force, as of 15/10/22. I put the following letter on file so that I still have an option to go the constructive dismissal route later - should the need arise (if they start asking us to do stupidly unreasonable things). Customisable template & good advice in 4th paragraph of this link: (click)

I am writing with reference to the recent changes you told me about regarding my contractual duties.

You told me in July that I would now be working under new terms & conditions. As you know, I have worked in my current terms & conditions for 18 years as set out in my contract of employment.

I consider this change to be a breach of contract and for the avoidance of doubt, I do not accept the changes you are trying to impose. 

I do not accept that the clause in my contract of employment that states you can vary the terms of my contract is specific, valid or enforceable.

I am now working "under protest" and this letter is formal notification of this. You should not interpret my continuing to work under the new terms as an acceptance of your ongoing breach of contract.

Sherwoodforest

It was always in the policy"any reasonable request".theres nothing unreasonable about being asked to serve,pick or fill if your trained,maybe retail not for you if you dont understand the importance of each job,as its only customer service
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

penguin

radaghastly, that letter will not give you the chance to go down constructive dismissal route. The correct notice has been given and as said above when working in retail most jobs that can be undertaken in a store would fall under a reasonable request anyway. If they asked you to do something really daft like drive a dotcom van when your legally not able to drive or climb on the roof of the store without safety provisions, then current laws and health and safety bodies would be your point of call.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Doggiedoodle

USDAW have always been in Tesco's back pocket, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them! Tesco backhanders they have taken for years to do whatever Tesco want them to do! They haven't had a penny from me in the 30 odd years I've worked in retail.... 😡😡

Davethebave

Quote from: radaghastly on 18-10-22, 03:06PMNew contract now in force, as of 15/10/22. I put the following letter on file so that I still have an option to go the constructive dismissal route later - should the need arise (if they start asking us to do stupidly unreasonable things). Customisable template & good advice in 4th paragraph of this link: (click)

I am writing with reference to the recent changes you told me about regarding my contractual duties.

You told me in July that I would now be working under new terms & conditions. As you know, I have worked in my current terms & conditions for 18 years as set out in my contract of employment.

I consider this change to be a breach of contract and for the avoidance of doubt, I do not accept the changes you are trying to impose. 

I do not accept that the clause in my contract of employment that states you can vary the terms of my contract is specific, valid or enforceable.

I am now working "under protest" and this letter is formal notification of this. You should not interpret my continuing to work under the new terms as an acceptance of your ongoing breach of contract.

If you accept the wage you accept the change.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk