Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

25-04-24, 10:08PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,412
  • Total Topics: 638
  • Online today: 869
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 489
Total: 493

Harrassed to reduce self isolation

Started by lordadmiral, 28-01-22, 04:00PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordadmiral

I am self isolating, with my partner due positive test.  I'm supposed to be off for few more days (if I self isolate for 10 days and it still fall on my normal days off) but already got txt messages, phone calls  to do tests to check if i am clear.
This is so annoying, just because I have mild symptoms they want me back to work. Even if it would be a day or two. I want to clear my sinuses and chest properly.

Environment in-store isn't perfect.  I am not in a  mood to end up with some nasty cough, burning lungs because Tesco need me and I can't properly recover.  Because I am Covid negative they think that you are fully healthy.

ForCryingOutLoud

The covid policy states that you test yourself every day from day 5 and two consecutive negative tests means you can return to work. If you test negative and are still unwell this will be recorded as normal sickness. You will be paid for 10 days of positive covid and similarly any illness after 10 days is normal sickness. Frustrating if you are still unwell, so just communicate this to your store. I think it's reasonable that it is capped and managers do have to follow policy  but the text messages should stop once you inform them that you are still unwell outside of  agreed timescales.

spike_pkh

It doesn't sound like you are being harassed, rather they are trying to ensure you follow the policy.

They need to know if you are covid sickness or regular sickness for wage codings and reporting etc

Get the tests on the days you should, contact the store with any updates, and stop being overdramatic

lordadmiral

Following procedures is fine, it's the bulls*it they are coming out with, like that I must go back to work or face disciplinary meeting because they do not remember me informing them that I am actually sick despite direct communication (while sending sick note and PCR test result) and 2 phone calls.
Disciplinary meeting for someone with 100% attendance on record, and now I will have something like 1.5% absence.

By the way thanks for listening(reading) but I had to let frustration out.

oldfashionedplayer

Let them try it to be fair, would get thrown out easily with a union rep or if anything came of it, would  get a good payout from challenging further 😂, just make sure you've got records of it and put in a grievance for the harassment and out of process procedures they've used against you rather than company policies.

happyharry

If you've tested positive, do you still need a PCR test before Tesco will pay you sickness from day 1? Government now saying you don't, but I can't find clarity on Tesco colleague help site.

Vinny1985

I cant seem to find the tesco covid policy. Could someone point me to the right direction.

NightAndDay

Honestly, Tesco managers are masters of making stuff up, so good infact that they could train politicians, car salemen and bailiffs. They are also experts and instilling the fear of god into people, so good infact they could probably get the UK government to bend the knee for all the illegal things they do.

Brez

Quote from: Vinny1985 on 03-04-22, 08:23PM
I cant seem to find the tesco covid policy. Could someone point me to the right direction.

"From 1st April, if are symptomatic or test positive you should stay at home for a minimum of 5 days and up to 10 days. The government are no longer providing free PCR or LFD tests England.

In Wales you are advised to take an LFD test on days 5 & 6 before leaving isolation.

Where colleagues are able to access a test, they should provide proof of the test result within 24 hours, where this is not possible, and they are symptomatic this should still be processed as Covid Sickness (Paid from day 1 and topped up if company sick pay has been exhausted)"

Hmmmmm

And you need to be double vaccinated and have had booster for it to be coded as covid, if not normal sickness policy applies   >:(

Brez

That is false, check the updated policy on colleague help.

oldfashionedplayer

as Brez said, its only if someone in household tests positive and you don't that you won't get paid if you isolate etc if you are double vaccinated etc, if you are positive or asymptomatic and book a test you can be paid from day 1, look at the Q&A updated 1st April.

Hmmmmm

Completely true, I was shown it on the policy, even given a copy to take home.

barafear

How does one understand the phrase "if a colleague is able to access a test"

Well, we now sell the LF tests for £2 - but if I choose not to purchase one - does that mean I cannot access a test?

therefore, given the nine new symptoms added to the list of Covid symptoms, surely we're now all pretty much able to phone in sick - say we have a runny nose (or whatever) - and it will be coded as Covid and paid from day 1?

And as long as I don't get caught in the pub during my 5-10 day isolation period, then all's good?

Hmmmmm

So I rang the union this morning, turns out I should've been paid and I can start a grievance if they don't rectify it!

Brez

Quote from: barafear on 05-04-22, 12:31PM

Well, we now sell the LF tests for £2 - but if I choose not to purchase one - does that mean I cannot access a test?

therefore, given the nine new symptoms added to the list of Covid symptoms, surely we're now all pretty much able to phone in sick - say we have a runny nose (or whatever) - and it will be coded as Covid and paid from day 1?

And as long as I don't get caught in the pub during my 5-10 day isolation period, then all's good?

Yes, nail on the head.

Think they'd rather a few people take the p**s than have the bad press of not paying people who have covid / the symptoms of covid.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: barafear on 05-04-22, 12:31PM

correct actually, though if they suspect abuse they can bring you in on it on an investigation in regards to it, so if your going to do it, don't do it often... as for the purchasing, if you have symptoms and work for tesco, you should stay home, if you can't get a test you just say they aren't available, and go through the nhs isolation note and it'll be coded from day 1, if you do have tests at home however, and test positive, then you just give them the details etc of the recorded positive test and isolation note and ideally send a photo of the test you've done to confirm... a lateral or rapid will count but neither are actually needed...

5 days isolation, up to 10.

So there will be those who will abuse it, there will be those who will be genuine, but we are one of few that are paying for being off currently and it falls under the misconduct bit coming in positive compared to elsewhere where you can come in and under current rules you are required to be away from others to protect them if you are positive (hard to do in retail). So something tesco is doing right for a change in policies but not all stores and management will follow it, they will inevitably follow their own proceedings, so do challenge it !

Storck

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 04-04-22, 05:36PM
as Brez said, its only if someone in household tests positive and you don't that you won't get paid if you isolate etc if you are double vaccinated etc, if you are positive or asymptomatic and book a test you can be paid from day 1, look at the Q&A updated 1st April.

How do you book a test as they are no longer available?

oldfashionedplayer

You can buy test kits now, apparently tesco sells them for £2 each, but if your symptomatic etc, you just tell them you are symptomatic, there's a flow chart to follow for the managers guide etc.

But it's 5 days minimum anyhow to be paid from day 1

sunshineman

I wished my daughter worked with me at Tesco as they treat people far better than the other brands. My daughter works in a factory and she caught covid. She rang her manager to inform them that she had covid but even though she was a bit unwell, she wanted to come into work and would wear a mask and keep away from other people. Her manager said that would be fine.

An hour later she was told that HR has said she has to stay off for ten days before being allowed to return to work. Half way through her self-isolation which she never wanted, she got a phone call to say that once she returns to work that she would have to go to a meeting and receive a warning for catching covid and taking time off. She was shocked

She is fully vaccinated. When she returned to work nothing was mentioned, and then six weeks later she was informed that she would need to attend a meeting and she would receive a written warning or be sacked. She has been there for years.

In the past few months a few people have been sacked or given a written warning for being off with COVID. When she spoke to her union USDAW they said they were in their right to do what they are doing. This is why lots of people are leaving the union as they are a waste of time.

The moto of my story is, that Tesco have been really good with their employees over the COVID nightmare. I am jsut so glad that I work for them and not Morrisons.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

sunshineman

Well in my store i have never heard of anyone being given or warning or being sacked for Covid.

horatiocain

I've known a few people who got warnings for covid sickness before they changed policy  unfortunately being able to read is not a requirement for managers in this company.

sunshineman

When my  daughter spoke to USDAW they were not interested and said Morrisons can do what they want. They claim is it Boris fault for allowing it to happen. Not a fan of Boris but not sure why he is always getting the blame. The blame is down to a union who are not interested in their members and allows the employer no matter who they are to do what they want.

But my point is, Tesco have been really good over the COVID problem unlike a lot of other companies out there. Morrisons have been shocking to people who caught Covid.

I am not saying that Tesco do not have their faults, we all know they do, which includes having too many managers, but they do get some things right.

Blubelle

Quote from: Brez on 04-04-22, 03:42PM
Quote from: Vinny1985 on 03-04-22, 08:23PM

"From 1st April, if are symptomatic or test positive you should stay at home for a minimum of 5 days and up to 10 days. The government are no longer providing free PCR or LFD tests England.

In Wales you are advised to take an LFD test on days 5 & 6 before leaving isolation.

Where colleagues are able to access a test, they should provide proof of the test result within 24 hours, where this is not possible, and they are symptomatic this should still be processed as Covid Sickness (Paid from day 1 and topped up if company sick pay has been exhausted)"
Is this still the policy stay at home for minimum of 5 days etc? I'm off with covid at the moment and was advised I can go to work even when testing positive?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk