News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:34AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 216
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 220
Total: 223

Investigation meeting

Started by Cls74, 31-12-21, 02:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneralDogsbody

The ones that are sent in are over the legal age of whatever they are trying to purchase...but are between that age and 25.  Better off just ID'ing everyone you see.  One of my managers was caught out with this, the guy looked well over 25 but was 19.

londoner83

The question that needs to be asked is would a reasonable person agree with you that the purchaser looked over 25....

If in doubt ask for ID and refuse the sale if they can't provide any. Explain to the customer you risk a personal conviction, fine and potential dismissal if you allow the sale to someone under age and you ain't going to take the risk.

MerchMan007

You're wrong there GeneralDogsbody , the ones sent in to make a test purchase are UNDER the legal age required for the purchase of whatever it is they are buying . If they weren't then no offense has been committed . For example , the legal age for buying alcohol is 18 , if a customer "looked well over 25 but was 19" there would have been no offence by serving him/her .

Morris999

Actually Merchman007 in this instance your are wrong.

There's two types of test purchases, this type was the company one I believe due to the fact they haven't mentioned being interviewed and cautioned by the police.
In this type of test purchase the individual Most be over the legal age of whatever they are trying to purchase.
However they do all look young, and definitely do not look like they are over 25, in effect they generally have what people call baby faces!
In this instance it's the company carrying out due diligence and normally some form of warning is given.

The other type of test purchases are those carried out by the Police/Trading Standards, and these individuals Will be under the legal age of the product they are trying to buy.
If you fail this type then your be interviewed by the Police and cautioned while potentially facing fines,criminal convictions and probably dismissal!

As the poster hasn't mentioned anything about being interviewed or cautioned by the Police and only being given a warning by Tesco then it's safe to assume it was the Company test purchase they failed.

Redshoes

Quote from: lucgeo on 22-04-23, 04:01PMSolution is ask EVERYONE their age from now on, regardless.

I've never understood how someone can get a final warning on their personal perception of age ??? It's not something you can be trained for!
It's because the store manager is the license holder and covering their own backside!
There should be an option for those who have failed the test to be taken off the checkouts for the following 12 months, so as not to risk losing their job! Those who don't work on checkouts are not at risk of getting this warning as they don't need to challenge, even if they see a customer with alcohol and look underage, they are only advised to question, but mostly don't notice or prefer not to notice!

I hold a licence too, all managers in my store do and the shift leaders are applying.
The colleagues have a letter held in the safe to say that the store manager gives them permission to sell alcohol on his/her behalf. The audits require the 'Selling Alcohol in Scotland' posters on all tills, along with 'Think 25' posters. The posters being in place are part of the weekly checkout manager weekly checks.
The whole store will have to re-do the Legal 1 training now too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk