News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-04-24, 09:59AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,355
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 301
Total: 303

Drivers leaving.

Started by Modena, 28-10-21, 01:31PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

You should consider the type of company you work for.

A driver at a DC who had 27 years service left the company yesterday, his fellow drivers etc did him proud with cards and presents.

MM QUICKLY SCRAPED TOGETHER A £25 TESCO VOUCHER.

Yes 25 pound, think about that and let it sink in.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Twinkeltoes1

Lol I spent 20 years working for this Company, both here in UK and in Europe, went back to store after Europe, store manager used to see all people retiring who had completed over 10 years, gave the females a bunch of flowers, I never saw a senior manager and left with feck all, not that i wanted anything, would of been nice to have had a handshake and a thanks, but that's  problem with some of the store managers, so far up their own backsides and look down on people, in my honest opinion.

Spidercatcher

in my opinion, Tesco don't appreciate their good staff half enough, they do nothing to try and hold on to them. In my store we had a complete gem of a home-shopping delivery driver who'd worked for Tesco for over 20 years. He had a great personality, very friendly chap and I'm sure he was loved by all he delivered to, he was just one of life's really nice people - even helping one elderly lady by changing her lightbulb when she couldn't reach it, that sort of thing. Then Tesco nit-picked about something minor and he left and found another job.

Talk about bringing your personality to work?  They don't want you to have a personality, they want us to be robots.

NightAndDay

Unfortunately I see it all to often, working in the office as I do, I'm shielded away from tesco's socioeconomic class warfare culture that they have in store, in fact, if i described my experiences in my past incarnation at Tesco, they wouldn't believe a single word I would have to say about it. Working at Tesco in the office, you wouldn't believe that the front line were treated as anything less than human.

BarryZola

Part of the reason this happens in stores is that Tesco has this sadistic tradition of constantly moving managers into different roles and into different stores. Why would a manager care if they lose the best member of staff ever when they know that in a year or two they'll be moved into another role where they won't be affected by the loss of that member of staff?

NightAndDay

The problem store operations face is that there are razor thin profit margins in that business area, therefore productivity and operational efficiencies have priority over long term staff retention strategies, unfortunately, for that area of the business, they face a series of long and short term challenges. In the short term, they are facing levels of inflation that haven't been seen since the 70's and 90's which has a result of increasing price sensitivity among customers forcing them to be as competitive as they can and prioritize their value range of products, they are facing stiff competition from the discounters and staff retention is lower than historical averages. In the long term, apart from losing market share (primarily as a result of Aldi and Lidl still having real estate to expand in to, Tesco does as well, but are more limited in options) and Amazons plans to invest a lot into stores in the UK to become the largest market share holder within the next 5 years, there is (accelerated by inflation) a drive for automation and a service and experience led operational model, this will mean fewer staff on the shop floor and fewer management positions, delivery drivers will still be in demand, but as a result of structure changes yet to come (and they will come) the pool of managers that they'll be able to rotate and hire into the position will shrink substantially, and in all liklihood, their responsibilities will be merged with other departments

MiltonCasey

Quote from: Modena on 28-10-21, 01:31PMWe now have 6 drivers who have applied for Ocado because of there wage increase,  2 so far have been accepted this is going to be a fun Christmas with no  drivers.
It sounds like your company is experiencing a shortage of drivers due to increased competition from other employers who are offering higher wages. This can be a challenging situation, especially during the busy holiday season.

One solution could be to offer competitive wages and benefits to retain your current drivers and attract new ones. Additionally, you could consider offering incentives such as bonuses or flexible schedules to encourage your current drivers to stay with your company.

Another option could be to invest in training and development programs to help your current employees grow and advance in their careers, which can improve job satisfaction and retention.

Overall, it's important to prioritize the well-being and satisfaction of your employees to maintain a strong and reliable workforce, especially during busy times.

Pnoom

What a curiously anodyne reply, MiltonCasey. If I was of a cynical turn of mind, I'd say that someone has been playing around with ChatGPT...

Maintenanceapp

Hi, off topic but does anyone know if Maintainence technicians can be given automatic work vans ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk