News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 03:47PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madness

Londoner any virus or diesese that is airbourne is jsut about impossible to stop once it is out there washing hands will just slow the spread it won't stop it.

Bacons

Customers are disgusting.  Old people still use handkerchiefs, pulling snotty rags out their pockets wiping more snot on the rag then stuffing it back in their pockets. Half the people that walk out of cubicles go straight out the door after. Wash your hands guys  :D

Pimpernel19

What do you value more? Your job or your life? If you can afford the time off and fear for your health just phone in and say you are showing the symptoms of having the virus, the government mandated advice is to stay at home and self isolate. Twatco can't argue with that. These are extraordinary circumstances and the company needs to adjust their policies for what is turning into a national emergency. Business as usual, draconian AR meetings and talking about personal percentages ain't going to wash when lives are literally at risk.

Welshie

There has been a minimum amount of cases throughout the UK,  it's hardly a national emergency although could turn into one . The people most at risk are the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.  Most elderly will be retired and not working at Tesco , for those with other conditions there is very little you can do . My husband has stage 4 cancer and was told by his oncologist  yesterday to carry on as normal.  I dont think the scaremongering helps anyone .

Mark calloway

What's this about baskets and trolleys being deep cleaned? I've worked her for 8 yrs and not once have they been cleaned.

londoner83

When BBC Watchdog did a investigation on cleaning of supermarket trollies all the big chains said they regularly jet wash their fleet........

thecleaningwoman

Trollies never get washed unless say there is sick or even  s##t  on them . Trollies in local extra have not been washed since a new fleet arrived 4 years ago Car wash blokes said they would do the fleet for 10 and told No  >:(

VladPutin

Quote from: Mark calloway on 04-03-20, 05:02AM
What's this about baskets and trolleys being deep cleaned? I've worked her for 8 yrs and not once have they been cleaned.

8 Years? Get some time in, rookie! ;D Joking aside, I've done twice that, and I've yet to see our trolleys being deep cleaned. It's not unknown for customers to complain about the state they are left in.

Dontbelieveaword

Has anyone heard anything about dot com drivers going into people's houses and hows that going to be managed with the predicted outbreak.

fatboy

Business as usual I would suspect

Er17

I rely on o/t every month to be able to pay my way. If I developed symptoms and self isolated I would find it impossible to cope. Now, when you take a holiday, Tes keep up yr earnings from a previous number of weeks (12/13??). Shouldnt they bring this in for those who have to self isolate as per government advice who will lose out massively. Just until this crisis is over. I suspect not.

Pimpernel19

Quote from: Welshie on 03-03-20, 12:51PM
There has been a minimum amount of cases throughout the UK,  it's hardly a national emergency although could turn into one . The people most at risk are the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.  Most elderly will be retired and not working at Tesco , for those with other conditions there is very little you can do . My husband has stage 4 cancer and was told by his oncologist  yesterday to carry on as normal.  I dont think the scaremongering helps anyone .
Let's see if you are of the same opinion in a fortnight's time eh? Those numbers coming out of China, treble them to get a true idea of the problem..i was talking with a nurse on Monday, mid forties upwards and you are at far higher risk of a severe health problem if you catch it..5 live this morning, Expert from Liverpool University saying you can catch this virus if you are within 15 meters of someone infected and containment in the UK has failed, it's gone viral hence the term. But we are constantly being told it's only killing pensioners so that's okay? Tosco deliver shopping to pensioners.. Next week tosco will be delivering the coronavirus to them thru infected cda's but that's okay..their old so it doesn't matter. Unbelievable.

Long gone

You’re reading way too much into it and I’m absolutely amazed at how many people are concerned by the media scaremongering going on. It’s absolutely ridiculous and people need to get their brains in gear. Symptoms at best are like a mild cold. Sadly people will die, but normal flu kills millions more than this ever will. Coronavirus has killed 3,000 so far yet obesity kills 300,000 a year yet you don’t see everyone rushing to take the Doritos in the back do you?

Welshie

@pimpernel 19 , noone said it was ok for the elderly to die from it , I said they wouldn't be working in Tesco . Money is one of the most germ ridden things about , touched by countless people in a day , they'll be more at risk lifting their pension or coming into contact with a cashier .
Yes it could turn into an epidemic but isn't at the minute.  As for the nurse you spoke to , I'll stick with the advice and information given by the senior consultant oncologist as that's very relevant in my household .

Mark calloway

Quote from: Long gone on 04-03-20, 04:38PM
You’re reading way too much into it and I’m absolutely amazed at how many people are concerned by the media scaremongering going on. It’s absolutely ridiculous and people need to get their brains in gear. Symptoms at best are like a mild cold. Sadly people will die, but normal flu kills millions more than this ever will. Coronavirus has killed 3,000 so far yet obesity kills 300,000 a year yet you don’t see everyone rushing to take the Doritos in the back do you?
absolutely spot on. It's scary how many people are in a panic over this.

Morris999

People need to get a grip, it is all just scaremongering by the media and social media platforms.

Let’s look at a few figures,
There has been just over 94k confirmed cases worldwide(at time of posting),out of a population of over 7.7 billion!
Putting that in a % it works out at around 0.00001% of the worlds population that has been infected with it.
Now this so called doomsday virus has been going since at least December.
Hardly figures to be concerned about is it.

And of the 94k cases only 90 (at time of posting) are in the UK
Again out of a population of 66.4m it works out at about 0.000001%
Again not anything to worry about.
More people have had the Flu in the same time frame, and more people have also died from the Flu in that same time frame.

penguin

Well said Morris this entire situation has been blown way out of hand, and as for the panic buying the less said the better really.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

melona

My two cent's worth... This virus has only been around for about 3 months, it's new and, as such, nobody is immune to it.

Anyone saying it is only scaremongering and it's just like a flu, is unfortunately contributing to the spread of this virus as they are not taking it seriously. This is not helped by physicians telling cancer patients to carry on as normal! Cancer patients, just like anyone with a depressed immune system due to whatever condition and the elderly, are people at high risk of ending up in intensive care (and every country has an insufficient number of intensive care beds to deal with a high number of patients within a short period of time, all of whom will require an average stay of about 3 weeks).
It will take much longer before anyone can speak about percentages, death rates and all the rest, but one thing is for sure - you just watch the number of infected people grow in the UK every single day from now on.

What I am concerned about is what is Tosco going to do about it? In my store there are already so many people off sick - has any of them been diagnosed with the virus? Is anyone self-isolating because they have been in contact with someone who has contracted the infection? If so, shouldn't the store be closed down and sanitised?

Shouldn't we - members of staff - be provided with hand sanitising gel or any other sort of protection? The deliveries of hand-sanitisers are coming in, but we can't put them on the shelves, they have to be taken to the managers' office and they are not handed out to us.
Yet we are expected to touch money, surfaces and be around the general public. I have seen so many customers sneezing and coughing without covering their mouths, spitting everywhere, it's disgusting!

This is going to carry on for at least a few months if we are lucky, so what should we do?

Welshie

You can take precautions and take it seriously without panicking.  Yes wash your hands more often , use sanitizer  (if you can get it ) but be realistic. People are panic buying toilet rolls , it doesn't give you the  sh**s so why ??
Not all cancer patients have a compromised immune system,  it will depend on their treatment so if they take proper advice , they'll be at no higher risk than anyone else. 
I handle money so after I've driven home from work I wipe down the steering wheel , gear stick etc with an anti-bac wipe as my husband will drive the car after me and he has cancer . People need to be sensible but still need to live their lives , especially those who have limited time left to live

Redshoes

Hand sanitisers are coming in for colleagues, predominately for checkouts and CSD but for others too. They have put out a brief to say as much. They are predominately for checkouts and desk as they can't get off to was hands as easily and money is dirty. Advise is to wash hands often and that if more effective than sanitisers.
Cutomers were panic buying yesterday. No hand sanitiser left to self and a few bits of antibacterial soap that came in hardly had time to touch the shelf. Toilet rolls also going with customers saying "I don't know why people are panic buying" but then taking two or three themselves. Tin and packet food flying.
There is another thread on here about loose products. It's linked to bakery range changes but I wonder if this virus has had an impact too. I bought some loose fruit and veg the other day but are most people going for packaged products now? Will the impact of this be that there is bigger waste on loose lines and demand rises for pre-packed.

Mark calloway

The clowns were in just after opening buying bog rolls and handwash etc. Not sure why people are obsessed with anti bacterial stuff,it's a virus not bacterial. They are buying stuff to last them for months. Lord help us if a REAL emergency ever happens

penguin

Store I work at has had panic buying on the usual items over the last few days, plus now we have it on washing power, also had a couple of people stocking up and when I say stocking up I really mean it on booze who seem to have this silly idea the entire country is going to be placed on lock down for a couple of weeks and the attitude seems to be might as well have a good few beers and enjoy the time off, think they're in for a serious disappointment but hey ho.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

londoner83

The policy of max 5 of each restricted items needs reviewing. No one needs 5 x 25 loo roll or 5 x 10kg sacks of rice.....

I know we want a simple message but empower stores to apply common sense

Nomad

Just read on FB the panic buying of t-rolls is because when 1 person sneezes 100 people s*** themselves    ;D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Walker

I'm getting so much guff at the moment about not selling more than 2 paracetamol...

And then it sells out in two hours...

And I've had to explain to a customer today who has arthritis and can barely walk with the pain why they couldn't get paracetamol.

So fed up at the moment. Feel like I'm ready to quit even though I haven't got another job lined up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk