News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:54PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 297
Total: 299

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

optout

You can opt back in to sunday working any time in the future, It is usually (i think) after a notice period (the same as opting out).

When you opt back in, that doesn't mean that you get your sunday hours back though.

And when you opt out they are under no real obligation to replace the sunday hours that you have lost, although under the partnership agreement they should try to replace them it is unlikely that they will and will usually (as a form of revenge) neglect to try and indeed even try to hinder such efforts.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Nomad

[admin]A few posts have been deleted due to a members concern over being identified by management, although no company rules/policies had been breached. Administrators will always consider such requests but may not always be able to comply due to number of replies posted by other members. [/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

AlexM

A quick question for someone I am repping for. They are contracted to sundays - 6.5 hours. We have worked out that every month they should get £99.06 in sunday prem (6.5x0.5x7.621x4=99.06). But, every month they only seem to get between £84-£89 a month. He is thinking of putting in a grievance as he seems to be £15 down every month which is equal to 2 hours pay.
We have accounted for holiday flexes etc but he still always seems to be down. Can we challenge this or is there something we don't know about that affects payment of sunday premiums?

Morris999

First it would help to know his shift pattern
Does he work nights where his shift starts on a Saturday or finish on a Monday?
The other possibility is that is his contracted hours 6.5 or is he at work for 6.5 hours?
If it's he's at work for 6.5 then you have to take the break out 30 mins!
Both would account for the 2 hours missing each month!
If neither apply then you really need to see what shift pattern he is down for on the wages system compared to his contract hours to see where the issue is coming from

AlexM

He works 9-5, it is his short day from 36.5 hours a week full time.

tumshie

If he has any holiday days in a month, then his Sunday premium will be reduced even if he did not have any Sundays as holiday. That is because the daily rate for holidays is calculated to include Sunday premium. So, in any month, the total of basic pay + sun prems + holiday pay should come to the same total as a month that has only basic pay + sun prems.

Also, the £7.62 rate has only just started in July. Before that it was £7.39, which I make to be £96.07 per month for Sunday premium.

Speak to his manager and ask them to explain why he is being paid that amount.
Give the manager photocopies of several past payslips, as many as he wants to claim for. Also give them a written description of what the problem is and what he believes needs to be done about it. You could include a query as to what shift pattern is on the wages system for his Sundays, as Morris999 says.

If they can't give you a sensible explanation for the amount being paid and/or can't correct the problem he should put in a grievance.

AlexM

We've spoken to his manager today who is going to have a look at it. Noted what you say Tumshie, but this month he had 3 days hols (mon-weds) and he regularly works an extra 5 hours overtime every week & every bank hol. Yet his gross wage (before this months overtime is added on) was only £10 more than just his basic + sun prem would be. He was expecting to get a bit more than £10 on his hol pay for his overtime average from the past 12 weeks. We're sure he should be getting more.

Between now & next pay he has no holidays booked, so we're going to see what he gets for his sun prem then. Hopefully, working the bank hol won't affect anything. If he gets the £99.06 then we know it's right, if not then we'll have to take it further.

Expressdude2016

For the holiday pay one if he works extra 5 hrs each week then because he works 5 days and took 3 days holiday the average would be around 3 hrs he would get then take off tax and ni and if in pension then that would take the net amount down. He may also have taken more holidays during last 12 weeks where he may not have worked any overtime that week.

the-vortex

Quote from: AlexM on 25-08-16, 10:31AM... every month they only seem to get between £84-£89 a month. He is thinking of putting in a grievance as he seems to be £15 down every month which is equal to 2 hours pay.

Probably a silly question but have you checked what hours he's being credited with for the Sunday premium? By your calculation it should be 26 hours if it isn't then there ought to be an explanation. If it's showing 24 hours or less then, before starting any official process, ask to see a few months worth of clocking sheets (may be called exceptions reports) which may show he's leaving early for example.
Loyalty is a one-way street!

AlexM

We have asked his manager to check what he is down for on the staff registers on a sunday. Although, his manager is useless so probably hasn't. I will be visiting his store again soon so will chase up. He clocks in religiously on time for every shift! He has had holidays this summer.

chris9997

Listening to the radio this morning i had to "pr**k up my ears" when hearing this "Marks and Spencer workers to consider striking over loss of premiums -backed by USDAW" i have looked on line can not see anything anyone out there reps etc know any thing about this.
The difference i believe is Marks have no aggreement in place with usdaw.

antico

All we know is on the USDAW site they have a petition for M &S staff to sign to be the recognised union. Apart from that ,zero.

his scots tie

Marks and Spencer online  petition against cuts in pay as reached 80,000 signatures and will be presented to management tomorrow.They want as many people as possible to turn up to present petition.

claden

An MP I emailed about our pay cuts funny when it was Tesco staff being shafted no one gave a s*** now it's M&S everyone is interested.

tescopleb

Even Tesdaw are desperate to get in there - be interesting to see what happens if they do. 

Night Owl

Has anyone any idea when the managers letters for loss of double time are coming out. Brief in July said letters out this month with payment in November wages.
My PM can't give me the anewer.

Rad

If you're not affected you wont get a letter.

Daredevil

9-5 a short day? Arent short days usually only 8 hours? X

Toohottyscotty19

A few affected managers in my store asking the pm today but she hadn't heard of a date yet

optout

Absolutely f****ng fantastic. now maybe the real world will actually get to know about this. And where are usdaw?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Winks alot

They also at the time took away the premium of time and half for any hours worked over 36.5 a
week this affected a lot of full time staff.Good luck to all our colleges who are brave enough
to stand up and fight

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Winks alot

Sorry thanks for putting me right I'm new and still in sure of my way around thanks again

Scruff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk