Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 02:36AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,361
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 404
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 369
Total: 369

Tesco: Wellbeing road to private care?

Started by Loki, 04-07-23, 07:48PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki

Tesco new Wellbeing service. Now incorporates a virtual GP for employees via The HealthHero private healthcare services.
How exactly do HealthHero cash in on this? What's your take on this? Another step towards the disbandment of the NHS?
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

grim up north

Staff; Hello, I'm sick, I can't come to work..
Bot; The virtual GP will see you now...
Virtual GP; Get back to work, there's nothing wrong with you

lucgeo

Another string to their bow in any attendance review...the computer said NO!

Who monitors this, who's responsible for any data protection breach? Why would any colleague choose to use this instead of self certifying or seeing their own doctor?

Tesco can't even get their own policies and procedures right...never mind any SL/manager being able to gain access to personal staff health details at any time!
Personnel files are kept ( or should be ) in locked drawers, with limited access, and only the relatable notes used in a meeting, with added notes to indicate such!

OH is only referred to as a last resort! Is this new system from the get go? What are the consequences if the advice given is not adhered to.
At the end of the day, your body, your health, your decision if you're fit for work, not some random virtual advisor ticking boxes from pre set questions..." how many times you pooped in the last hour? 1-3 go to work...3-5 could be diarrhoea, go to work but avoid touching fresh food, fill on ambient...6 or more could be contagious, make appointment to see your own GP practice  :-X

Before long it will become the accepted norm, policy and practice. If you didn't contact the virtual GP for advice prior to your absence, it will be marked against you!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

whatajoke2019

We've already joked that they'll be putting on the sick call sheet "has the colleague used the virtual GP?"  :D

londoner83

Be interesting what the position will be  with colleagues who would rather go thru their own GP than effectively speak to a call centre....

oldfashionedplayer

the thing of seeing a virtual is fine, th problem is that it's all private cost, so you'll see someone then if you're referred or given any medication etc it will cost you... so depending on what it is, it may be a LOT more money.

BritishRacingGreen

According to their website ...

"HealthHero provides its services under contract to the partner organisation through which you have obtained access. As such, we will not charge you any fees for the contracted services."

Providing a service - no charges
Providing prescription medicines - Hmmmm  (We have no prescription charge in Wales)

8-)

lordadmiral

What about "Mental Health" first aider ???

oldfashionedplayer

In the majority of cases no further treatment is required – advice and reassurance is all that's needed. However, if it's needed, they can issue private:

Private prescriptions
Fit Notes
Referrals

Important information
Prescriptions: Most adults in England pay for NHS prescription charges. This is a fixed amount per item. When issued a private prescription, you pay the cost of the medicine being issued. This could be more or less than what you would pay for an NHS prescription. You can always ring a pharmacy to check what the cost of the prescription would be before you choose to go and pick it up. A private prescription can't be transferred to an NHS prescription. You would need to have had an appointment with an NHS GP to be issued with an NHS prescription.

this was the bit i was mainly referring to with it.

lucgeo

And is that where they make their money, by prescribing highest price brand medicines ???
Private prescriptions have always been chargeable, prescribed by the GP but not on the NHS list of medications.

So the question now is...if you don't take the virtual GP advice or medication prescribed, what is the outcome?
Why would anyone give any of their medical information to a call centre, as opposed to self certifying or seeing their own GP in private  :-X

oldfashionedplayer

probably because its difficult to get any type of appointment with your GP these days... I know I called an issue and was told "We have a phone call appointment 2 weeks on the wednesday" - Like Wtf? - my brother in law had to pay £30 for a private gp appointment recently due to 111 saying they'd call back within 2 hours, 8am call to them, 6pm they called back with advice.. (after the private gp appointment and medication referral)

so I can see why people would just go for that at this point... they want to be seen and just can't so their forced into paying...

Nomad

What Reuters had to say.
With UK health service in crisis, Tesco gives staff virtual doctors appointments
QuoteThe country's biggest retailer told Reuters on Thursday the benefits package for its 310,000 UK workers would provide them and their families with access to unlimited appointments with a general practitioner (GP), seven days a week.
Families + unlimited + seven days a week  8)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Elly1519

I rang the GPs yesterday wanting some advice rather than taking up precious resources in A&E only to be told by the receptionist that there were no appointments. At no time did I say that I wanted an appointment, I wanted to speak to someone. She then told me to go to A&E if it was that important !!!!

gomezz

To be fair "wanted to speak to someone" **would take up the doctor's time as would a normal face to face appointment.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: Elly1519 on 07-07-23, 01:43PMI rang the GPs yesterday wanting some advice rather than taking up precious resources in A&E only to be told by the receptionist that there were no appointments. At no time did I say that I wanted an appointment, I wanted to speak to someone. She then told me to go to A&E if it was that important !!!!
In Wales we have 111 if needing advice. Is this service not available throughout the UK?

Admin - trying to repay support.  I no longer wish to use PayPal as account hacked. Do you have any other payment method available?

kaled78

once someone figures out how to get signed off work with full pay,without being seen face to face by this service,they need to let everyone else know :D

lucgeo

@Elly1519

The receptionist should have offered to make a note of your query and pass it to the doctor for advice at the end of surgery.
It could have been relayed by the internal system or in a day book for the GP to advise...my local surgery txt if non important reply of advice, or they will ring to give update of either a prescription left or arrange an appointment.
Receptionists aren't bothered by personal questions, they follow the code of practice for confidentiality as any other employee.

Elly1519

Yes we do have 111 but I did the online form the night before and couldn't find the correct advice due to complex health issues which affected the problem I had.

I didn't want to talk to a doctor either, triage would have done. Anybody would have done.

In the end I did ring 111 and was advised to go anyway.

The turning worm

Virtual doctor occupational health report ignored looks like the Wellbeing Support is just another box ticking excercise

Loki

The way I see it is there will undoubtedly be, how do I put it, "over zealous managers" who will automatically expect employees to contact a random virtual GP prior to taking any sick leave which would be preposterous and unreasonable. Wouldn't be the first time that such managers would twist something for their own end.

Furthermore, these virtual GP's and the private medical company HealthHero itself do not hold medical records for any of us. Now for this reason I know (expect) that they would refer us to our own GP's for more complex matters, but it isn't that straightforward as even minor ailments may be linked to an ongoing condition that our own GP's will already have on record.

If people want to take up private care then it's for them to decide. That's the point... it should never be forced upon anyone in any way shape or form. It's a dangerous route towards privatisation of the NHS. HealthHero will undoubtedly take their cut from private referrals and the private prescriptive medications that they themselves prescribe.

Call me a tad paranoid but I'm not keen on speaking with a Max Headroom in a white coat.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

BritishRacingGreen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk