News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:12AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 286
Total: 290

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: King1999 on 10-07-20, 03:28PM
Assistant managers going so I’ve been told not sure how or what it looks like,the joke of a company keeps on cutting.
Joke of a company right, culling of managers? Should have happened a long time ago.

Hammer10

Managers should all go they do nothing except sit in the office .

fscer

My Dept manager has been off for 2 weeks, you would'nt notice. I think the only thing they do these days is manage holidays which soon we'll be doing online.

Paupers wage

When it comes to managers Tesco’s drag there heels always reluctant to get rid off even tho the position is no longer required they would rather pay them to do nothing for years on end

penguin

Quote from: Hammer10 on 10-07-20, 04:32PM
Managers should all go they do nothing except sit in the office .

Not fair on the managers and there are many out there who put a shift in day in day out
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

fatboy

Our SM always puts a shift in. They are quite often seen filling shelves, pulling cages from wagons, working in warehouse etc. Its the lead manager that does f*** all. Just see him messing on his phone all the time & walking around like he's god. Only work he ever seems to want to do is give people 'let's talks' or disciplines for trivial things. F****** k***

King1999

Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 10-07-20, 04:15PM
Quote from: King1999 on 10-07-20, 03:28PM
Assistant managers going so I’ve been told not sure how or what it looks like,the joke of a company keeps on cutting.
Joke of a company right, culling of managers? Should have happened a long time ago.

What else is the company now other than a joke.........if anyone believes the previous culls have done any good.........leaking job cuts,getting rid of staff with years of experience,staff restaurants gone devaluing  a committed workforce,creating a toxic environment of job cuts the list is endless.Everyday is an ordeal for many now not sure why an abusive employer is getting away with it like they are,maybe not for much longer.

NightAndDay

They aren't getting away with it, their market share is dwindling year on year, (a new low of 26.8% 1 or 2 months ago) this will inevitably continue to decrease while Aldi and Lidl seek to max out on capacity in terms of new sites for their stores, a lower market share means less profit for the shareholders, which means continuation of cuts, which contributes to poorer service towards the customers which results in them shopping elsewhere which impacts the marketshare further and the cycle will continue for as long as Lewis's strategy is to appease the shareholder (which I am one of).

lucgeo

Stores have been top heavy for far too long. Floor staff cut to the bone, so less in each dept to warrant a dept manager. They removed TL's and spread the managers out, whilst still retaining senior team, and some newbie managers are not on much more than TL's.

There is no need to have an SM, and a senior team. Either have one SM or two leads. Hell, duty managers run the store on a Sunday, single handed, only negative being the Costa takings are down!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

King1999

Quote from: NightAndDay on 11-07-20, 07:13AM
They aren't getting away with it, their market share is dwindling year on year, (a new low of 26.8% 1 or 2 months ago) this will inevitably continue to decrease while Aldi and Lidl seek to max out on capacity in terms of new sites for their stores, a lower market share means less profit for the shareholders, which means continuation of cuts, which contributes to poorer service towards the customers which results in them shopping elsewhere which impacts the marketshare further and the cycle will continue for as long as Lewis's strategy is to appease the shareholder (which I am one of).
Big deal your a shareholder,we all were in the past and a lot of us still are.......by the way just cutting isn't investing and future proofing.Service is becoming non existent.Treating people like s*** and the effects it has on them is something I would be worrying  very seriously.I know I go on about mental health a lot but as a shareholder I would want a happy,fit workforce wanting to work for the company not the toxic,depressing place it has become.Lewis isn't Tesco never has been he's done far more damage than good.

miriam

King1999

I totally agree with you
What can there be done about the horrible ways they treat people
My mental health has been caused by bullies in store
Had it confirmed by my own Dr

King1999

Look at British gymnastics on the news the more it's reported......and by the way you shouldn't accept bullying in any form so report it.As a work force we shouldn't be putting up with it so maybe different avenues need looking at the union are useless and the company doesn't care.

miriam

King1999
I've put in a grievance before it ended up as my fault and most of management turn on me
Even the HR at that time heap union has been rubbish
So where can anyone go to report this ???

I handed my notice in and got another job
I stayed as I was promised the issue at that time would b resolved can't go into too much detail as I've signed a declaration not to gossip about people and things involved can say to persons who will challenges tesco or management
I have kept my other job and do tesco for my own purpose
I am wondering what on earth for
Managers and others seem to be qualified now in areas apart from people skills
They all have qualified with a master's in harassment victimisation

miriam

Also I've got history with the bullying in store
Took false allegations and I've been seen as the problem
It would seem so if there has been 6 grievances put in about u at one time

Would it be an idea to put my history from my perspective as no one knows it as I've stated silent due to me not being apart of a click

King1999

If it's a click then you have multiple bullies to deal with,is the store manager part of this little click ?????? As someone being bullied it should always be from your perspective.......has this been dealt with in store before,sounds like an outsider needs to be dealing with it.

miriam

King1999
Thanku
It's what I was thinking
Do I bring past up and face risk
That's past and moving forward

miriam

King1999
Where do I take this
As in out of store
1 more thing a woman I worked with in tesco took it to my new employer and started to say things
I feel if dealt with in the correct way I would carry the burden
I've had some pretty horrendous things said and done to me and it is personnel

If you could give me guidance
The back bone is on me

King1999

Phone the protector line it's an outside body.......voice what has happened to you they will then contact the relevant body to deal with it.It won't be your store.

miriam

Thanku  king1999

spike_pkh

The protector line is just as pointless as any other form of complaint.. any complaints get passed to SM or People Manager who can decide to just ignore them it seems whilst making excuses or lies to whatever company runs protector line

miriam

Spike _pkh
How can it get sorted in your view??

King1999

Miriam is there anyone in store who will back up what’s been happening to you,solid witnesses who will back you up.

miriam

I've approached someone they don't want to get involved

Many have said things But sadly they have left

NightAndDay

Quote from: King1999 on 11-07-20, 09:01AM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 11-07-20, 07:13AM
Big deal your a shareholder,we all were in the past and a lot of us still are.......by the way just cutting isn't investing and future proofing.Service is becoming non existent.Treating people like s*** and the effects it has on them is something I would be worrying  very seriously.I know I go on about mental health a lot but as a shareholder I would want a happy,fit workforce wanting to work for the company not the toxic,depressing place it has become.Lewis isn't Tesco never has been he's done far more damage than good.

I know continous cutting isn't a way to run a successful business, I'm saying that that is the current cycle of events that is occurring under DLs leadership, don't pretend it isn't, the terms "streamlining", "soft structure change" and "sustainable business" has never been thrown about more in Tescos history than in the past 4 years.

Also most old school employees will be share holders (or were at one point) due to the Shares in Success scheme, I never cashed mine in, but I will do as soon as the boomer generation don't hold the economic weight they do currently and when technology changes the landscape further.

Ken Murphy is supposed to be a bigger axe wielder than Dave, so I would go on expecting more of the same in the next 5 years, along with further scrutiny of undeserved CEO salary rewards by the AGM.

Redshoes

I have done nearly 30 years and less than two years in I saw the first redundancies. We have always had, it was just a few years without. The manager roles always used to be on almost a six year cycle when they gave it a new name and changed tasks slightly and people had to re-apply for jobs. I have seen them change from "supervisors" to "controllers" to "section managers" to "line managers".
Work practices have changed. Going back 30 years milk came on cages and we had to put individual bottles on shelves. Ready meals were very limited and there was a much higher level of cook and bake from scratch in stores. Checkouts was two days training with you following exercises in a book with training cards so could do practice transactions. PI was called File Maintenance Control (FMC) and they used to go round day before putting out price changes behind exisiting, it was was with back showing with dots on back of label with dot one side meaning price going up and dot other side meaning price going down. Someone then came along behind them next day to just turn over and remove old label. We had picking labels on all boxes and as part of filling we had to check the picking label too. If was for wrong product we had to take box and label to stock control to adjust.
Things change. They always have changed. FMC faced huge loss of hours when they removed the dot system on the back of labels. Fresh lost hours when when milk came in with the carts we use now. Deli lost hours with introduction of grab and go. As a business we have to move with the times. As a business we have to cut the cloth to fit. It's too easy to say to just cut the bonus for the big wigs. Cutting that may help but it's a fraction of the overall wage bill for the whole company. Biggest cost to stores is wages and it's easiest and quickest way to save money. If you don't have enough to do in a day, if you are bored in work, if you have time to chat or twiddle thumbs you have time to do other things or have hours cut. Times are going to be hard. As a country, not a company we are going to have to pay for this for years and years. Times are going to be tough, we need to be competitive to stay afloat. The balance of price against where products are sourced from may be key. Will all this have an impact on fare trade and organic for example. Will there be a change to those who are seen as being lucky to just be in work no matter what the job.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk