News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:58PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 285
Total: 289

Lack of cold chain

Started by Peacelily, 05-09-20, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: optout on 25-09-20, 06:40PM
Are there any tesco stores out there that DO adhere to the correct cold-chain procedure?

Nope! The only way this company can attain the cold-chain procedure is by having adequate staff levels, for which will never be the case.

Redshoes

My store does but we don't have a night team. Delivery is bright out two cages at a time and worked by fresh team so more than one to a cage.  After delivery is done they rumble then go on break. Overs are then sorted in the fridge and worked cage by cage by single person. There may be more than one person doing this but they work a sorted cage each.

Nomad

Sorry VLH members all jobs in utopia  are filled  :o  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Siwel123

What size store is that red shoes? And may I ask any openings haha

Redshoes

It's a SS and we trade 0700-2300 Mon-Sat and 0800-2200 on Sun.

Redshoes

I will also add that I have worked in six different stores, in England and Scotland and I have never seen anything but good practice around cold chain.

Nomad

In my time I visited a considerable number of stores, I'm glad I didn't try to count cold chain abuses, it would have been to big a number to remember.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

Quote from: Redshoes on 27-09-20, 07:28AM
I will also add that I have worked in six different stores, in England and Scotland and I have never seen anything but good practice around cold chain.

Then you are very much in the minority and observing Tescos practices in rose tinted glasses, most managers of the mickey mouse variety, which is most that I've encountered at Tesco (12/14 of them were) operate on the premise that the only rules that should be followed are the ones they can't get away with breaking.

lucgeo

8-) don't you know anything about colour coordination...the glasses match the shoes, so rose tinted...obviously ;)  ;D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

alf

I swear this site brings out the weird in people.

On one side of the coin we have redshoes who is determined with his pro tesco posts (given the nature of this site, you have to admire the tenacity), on the opposite we have someone who dosen't even work for tesco anymore, but has severe obsession, alongside a man who spends his free time stop clocking  cages.

And theres me sitting here on a Sunday afternoon posting s**t.

In summary we're all saddos.

lucgeo

Quote from: Redshoes on 26-09-20, 03:38AM
My store does but we don't have a night team. Delivery is bright out two cages at a time and worked by fresh team so more than one to a cage.  After delivery is done they rumble then go on break. Overs are then sorted in the fridge and worked cage by cage by single person. There may be more than one person doing this but they work a sorted cage each.

So can I ask...is your fresh team ring fenced, from answering continuous checkout support calls?

surlaroute

Quote from: alf on 27-09-20, 01:47PM
I swear this site brings out the weird in people.

On one side of the coin we have redshoes who is determined with his pro tesco posts (given the nature of this site, you have to admire the tenacity), on the opposite we have someone who dosen't even work for tesco anymore, but has severe obsession, alongside a man who spends his free time stop clocking  cages.

And theres me sitting here on a Sunday afternoon posting s**t.

In summary we're all saddos.

It can seem like that sometimes but I’m certain it’s still better to care about something than nothing until there is nothing to care about. And we’re not there… yet.

lordadmiral

Yes that's a good solution.
Our store has no dotcom but we make same profit or more than those with dotcom.  But we do not have team.  Two frozen aisles covered by one employee.  3 produce aisles covered just by one employee.  4 dairy aisles by 3 employees.  So stock is always out for hours. Yoghurts can be out for 6 hours on shop floor daily.  It has been like that since I remember.

Redshoes

Quote from: lucgeo on 27-09-20, 02:41PM

So can I ask...is your fresh team ring fenced, from answering continuous checkout support calls?

Nope, but as a team work two cages it's one at a time that answer checkout calls but other Depts do too. Fresh are not the only people working in the mornings. 
I have had nearly 30 years with the company and the cold chain has always been the same. I have never seen it ignored. We find fresh food abandoned on shelves throughout the store, we don't put this back out to sell either.  I don't get that I am mocked and not believed by saying I have seen an important food hygiene rule followed. I have worked in six stores and I have never seen anything else, it's just not worth it. The complaints and returns must be very high if a basic rule like this is ignored. It's not a matter of following the company line, it's a matter of selling food that is fit for consumption. If your store ignores the rules, report it, don't sell food to people that could cause serious harm. Shame on you if you iouiaccept this as a common practice and therefore not an issue.

Nomad

Lets be grateful that at least 0.15% of UK stores may follow the rules, possibly.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Welshie

At xmas our fridgescare to full when overnight deliveries arrive and the milk is frequently just put outside by the fire exit . Although where I live that would keep it in the cold chain lol

chris9997

Quote from: Redshoes on 28-09-20, 08:01AM
Quote from: lucgeo on 27-09-20, 02:41PM

Nope, but as a team work two cages it's one at a time that answer checkout calls but other Depts do too. Fresh are not the only people working in the mornings. 
I have had nearly 30 years with the company and the cold chain has always been the same. I have never seen it ignored. We find fresh food abandoned on shelves throughout the store, we don't put this back out to sell either.  I don't get that I am mocked and not believed by saying I have seen an important food hygiene rule followed. I have worked in six stores and I have never seen anything else, it's just not worth it. The complaints and returns must be very high if a basic rule like this is ignored. It's not a matter of following the company line, it's a matter of selling food that is fit for consumption. If your store ignores the rules, report it, don't sell food to people that could cause serious harm. Shame on you if you iouiaccept this as a common practice and therefore not an issue.
Either you have worked in stores with a very small fresh and frozen department or you have lots and lots of staff to do these cages in 20 minutes i dont believe you can do every cage within the 20 minute rule?,also from the comment you made earlier do you not do the backstock first? or after delivery?

lucgeo

@ Redshoes
It's not a case of mocking you, and the disbelief is one of incredulity, rather than accusing you of being untruthful. The fact that you have worked over thirty years in six stores, and never witnessed the cold chain rule being disregarded, would suggest have been extremely fortunate by being placed in well run/ managed stores.

I have to say, up until about 10 years ago, the cages were always worked or returned within the 20 mins, it was commonplace and part of the accepted routine for timings to be  written on cages, as worked e.g. Day, date, time, am/pm, to be worked, or back stock. Half worked cages were condensed with worked put on to back stock and unworked put at front for first to go out. The cages were date rotated in the chillers. But that's when the dept's were fully manned, and the majority on full time.
Now you have the same cages going in and out...Fred's on his four hour shift, pulls cage out, gets called to checkout, cage goes back in chiller ( sometimes) meanwhile Freda starts shift and pulls same cage out, and starts working the same stock, some of which won't go out, but Fred didn't put it on back stock cage. Fred goes for his break, meanwhile Freda gets called to checkout, cage goes back in chiller ( maybe)...repeat. It can take hours for one cage to be fully worked, whilst other cages are being continually pushed to the back of the chiller, remaining unworked.
Your description of how your fresh team works is somewhat unique, in that you have two working a cage to begin with, only one required to answer a checkout call, and their timed routines appear unaffected, in that they get to have their breaks on time, rumble and then finish their routines by end of play  ???
It is the managers that are ignoring the cold chain rule, and the CA's protestations, the shame lies squarely on their shoulders. It is they that declare it a common practice and therefore not an issue. CA's report it to the powers that be, it gets ignored, then the CA's get it in the neck for taking it out of store. This is happening on a daily basis in the majority of stores, as the comments from other VLH members will testify.

Redshoes

Delivery is worked as soon as it comes in, as the store opens. The backstock is turned the night before and before the store closes. There is actually not a lot of it. It's all hands to fresh in our store in the mornings to get the delivery done as quickly as possible.
I have worked in only large stores, a big extra for a long time and a SS.
I find it shocking that we accept bad practice and that when stated that some stores do not follow bad practice it is seen as being the few rather than the many.

lucgeo

It's ALL HANDS every morning to work fresh  :o  How long for ???

No wonder the fresh team are on top of everything, they're using everybody else's allocated hours...and only one team member need answer a red call ???

I'm seeing cracks papered over in Tesco Shangri La store.

Duff McKagan

In my store the dairy night staff don’t even know what the chill chain is! 6 months ago the whole dairy team left or changed departments and were  replaced with new staff, they’ve been told nothing, they are never expected to work quickly so they have no idea that it’s unnaceptable to leave chilled stock on the shop floor for hours at a time. Not one of them works a cage in less than an hour yet nothing is said to them...if you point it out to the managers they do nothing about it.

The chill chain has always been broken from time to time in my store, it used to be by a few minutes here and there but now it’s beyond a joke. I won’t buy certain chilled products from my store now because I don’t want to risk food poisoning....fresh sandwiches are a definite no go.

NightAndDay

To add, I've once reported a FSA violation at Tesco anonymously to the relevent government body, they asked for my name and derailed the report and spoke to me like i was chocolate in their peanut butter, the government are in cahoots with Tesco.

Redshoes

What happens with chill things that are abandoned by customers as they shop. For example you find a joint of beef on the tin beans.

NightAndDay

We should get told to put it in waste if it's not cold to the touch, but even witj warm products that are meant to be chilled, most managers say put it back on the shelf even when its clearly been out for longer than 20 mins.

Welshie

In our store it would go onto waste

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk